Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Enve 7.8 Disc 23 vs 25mm /gp5000 vs CorsaSpeed 2.0
Quote | Reply
Hello I was trying to find information on the forum about which tire is better for Enve 7.8 disc (25vs23/gp5000vsCS2.0) but found many contradictory opinions about that.
I am not going to use them as tubuless, I will use latex instead.

So what is faster?

Last edited by: Ksavostin: Jan 18, 20 20:27
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 Disc 23 vs 25mm /gp5000 vs CorsaSpeed 2.0 [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious too. My 25c GP5000 measures 27.0mm and the brake track measures 28.0mm, which is 103.7%, below the generally accepted 105% recommendation.

But if the 23c is a full 2mm smaller, then it would be around 112%. Is that too much? Haven't seen much discussion on the upper bound of that recommendation.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 Disc 23 vs 25mm /gp5000 vs CorsaSpeed 2.0 [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
Hello I was trying to find information on the forum about which tire is better for Enve 7.8 disc (25vs23/gp5000vsCS2.0) but found many contradictory opinions about that.
I am not going to use them as tubuless, I will use latex instead.

So what is faster?

With the rolling resistance advantage the CS 2 has over the GP5000:any aero difference between the two won’t make up the difference. So CS 2 is faster. It is also more fragile, but if you're only racing 10 mi TT’s it prolly isn’t an issue.

Gerlach actually took these to the tunnel on your wheels so you should take his advice. Narrow is typically fastest and these tires expand over time so with a non technical, out and back TT I’d go narrow since handling isn’t an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Corsa Speed will be faster as the Crr benefit compared with the GP 5000 outweighs the aero difference (we've not found any wheel yet where that isn't the case for 23-25mm). Here's our data (Cervelo P5) of the difference between a 23mm Corsa Speed and a 25mm Corsa Speed:

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Last edited by: Xavier: Jan 19, 20 2:23
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 Disc 23 vs 25mm /gp5000 vs CorsaSpeed 2.0 [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. What were the measured widths of the 23c and 25c CS on the 7.8?
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 Disc 23 vs 25mm /gp5000 vs CorsaSpeed 2.0 [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have to check if we have it - I can remount the tyres but might need to wait until after our upcoming office move as the 7.8s are buried under a stack of other test wheels at the moment!

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 Disc 23 vs 25mm /gp5000 vs CorsaSpeed 2.0 [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
I'm curious too. My 25c GP5000 measures 27.0mm and the brake track measures 28.0mm, which is 103.7%, below the generally accepted 105% recommendation.

But if the 23c is a full 2mm smaller, then it would be around 112%. Is that too much? Haven't seen much discussion on the upper bound of that recommendation.

I've measured CS23 and CS25 on a couple of different wheels. 25 always comes up only ~1mm wider than 23.

Also, the 105% rule comes from Josh Portner and I'm pretty sure it's tyre width and max rim width, not brake track width.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier,
I have been trying to figure out the answer to this question for over a year now and have gotten and seen different answers and thanks for actually showing some data.
I am guessing you do not see the aero effect of a tire with treaded shoulder (as discussed here by SwissSide folks, https://www.swissside.com/...aero-tip-tyre-choice) as significant enough to cancel out Crr benefit of the 25mm CS 2.0?
kinda makes you wonder if the new Schwable Pro One TT tire despite having slightly higher Crr than CS 2.0 has aero benefit to make it best of both worlds
cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Xavier, thanks for sharing the information.
Have you been able to test the new Schwalbe pro one TT tire? The rolling resistance is supposed to be very similar as the corsa and the thread pattern is supposed to be as fast as the GP5k? I’m wondering how good this one is on your wind tunnel?
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 Disc 23 vs 25mm /gp5000 vs CorsaSpeed 2.0 [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are literally finishing this exact data set tomorrow in the tunnel (thanks both you and drgarwood for asking). We’ve done some initial work on the Schwalbe TT on our ZEPHYR wheel but will be testing it on the TITAN tomorrow too, so far it’s very close to overall performance compared with a Corsa Speed but the Crr isn’t as good.

May well be that we end up recommending the Schwalbe for some wind conditions but the Corsa Speed for others, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Corsa Speed still ends up on top overall.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks
look forward to seeing those results.
particularly since Schwable has thinner thread and a bit more puncture risk it would seem
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 Disc 23 vs 25mm /gp5000 vs CorsaSpeed 2.0 [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drgwood wrote:
thanks
look forward to seeing those results.
particularly since Schwable has thinner thread and a bit more puncture risk it would seem

I agree it does feel very thin

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Thomas Gerlach is referencing this test http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...els-corsa-speed.html

If the case, Conti SS was tested (and maybe TT and 4kII), but GP 5000 was not part of the test.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jan 20, 20 1:34
Quote Reply