Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Endurance Subscription Question
Quote | Reply
So, it seems like the one part of the economy that hasn't created/embraced a subscription model (yet) is the world of endurance sports.

What would it take, as a racer, for you to sign up for subscription program geared towards endurance sports, primarily focused on access to races?

For example, if there was a model where you could pay $xx/month and have access to race a certain number of races per year through that subscription, would you do it?

I know that there are a lot of variables - many different race directors, prices, etc. But, in theory, that's not much different than what Netflix had to deal with regarding their content publishers (lots of different publishers, the shows/movies were of different "value", etc.).

So, assuming that the back end integration between the subscription platform and the RDs was able to be resolved, what would it take for you, as a racer, to sign up for a subscription program?

Discounts on races?
Free races?
Unlimited racing?
Gear deals?
Access to unique content?

What is the magic formula in endurance sports that would create market adoption?
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance Subscription Question [ultrasu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me, there are a few fundamental flaws in the approach. First, at least where I live in CO, the limiter is supply not demand. Typically I see these sorts of models as a way to sell remnant inventory and I just don't know that exists too greatly, in my world at least. Now if I could get into sold out races, that's cool, but it's really in the race promoter's best interest to do that, a la Ironman Foundation slots. Second, it's tough to separate value exchange in a market. If I pay every month and get 80% of the value in a single month, that's pretty lopsided. Netflix works because I watch movies all the time. Finally, I just don't know that I want to race that much. I don't know averages, but I feel like my 2021 schedule is pretty full with 3 halves and 1 full. I don't know that I really want any more!
Quote Reply