Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Endurance Nation again makes no sense.
Quote | Reply
Their new things is now, "Easy Is The New Hard" ! They are saying the following:

The Hard vs Easy Test
  • Find a local loop you can ride, anywhere between 20 and 45 miles in length.
  • Ride it like a roadie, pushing the hills hard and trying to be really fast.
  • Note your time.
  • Ride it again, a few days later, at a steady effort, call it Zone 3 (heart rate athletes) or 85% of your Functional Threshold Power (powermeter athletes).
  • Note your time.
  • Discover that Ride #2, smoothing out the course, was actually faster with a lower heart rate. Game over.
- See more at: http://www.endurancenation.us/...sthash.JssQhhpM.dpuf

THIS IS SUCH A HUGE LOAD OF CRAP IF I EVER HEARD SUCH A THING.

First off, if you are an experienced rider, even riding 3 days a week you'll find that riding an ALL OUT 20-45 miles is faster than 85% effort ride a few days later. Secondly, the bike portion of a triathlon makes up most of the event, so if you "train properly" (which includes not listening to these yahoos that know nothing but make alot of money off stupid triathlete), you should be able to HAMMER OUT the bike and still run fine.

So, according to EN, don't swim in the off season, bike easy and finish better ??????? Makes no sense. WHO in there right mind gives these people money to train them? Rich Strauss the founder is no stellar athlete either. I don't get it.

Link:
http://www.endurancenation.us/...0-3/?fb_source=pubv1
Last edited by: trihard4me: Jul 17, 13 8:17
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance Nation again makes no sense. [trihard4me] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They also said the bike course at Racine has some steep climbs...found that by perusing through the website. What a joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EN is saying that if you target a steady VI, you can rack up more TSS than burning matches, killing it on every hill.
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Jul 17, 13 21:31
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance Nation again makes no sense. [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
They also said the bike course at Racine has some steep climbs...found that by perusing through the website. What a joke.

I've rode Racine several times, Steep Hills ???? WHAAAAATT ... It's about as flat as you get for 56 miles almost anywhere. EN is the biggest joke. I cannot believe anyone with a half a brain listens to them. I guess they'd attract the couch to Ironman athletes that are lazy to begin with and want to put in the minimum effort to finish. Which is fine and all, but for serious triathletes. Come on, they suck bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Jul 17, 13 21:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Feeling lonely and decided to start another troll?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'll bite. Post up your average weekly training schedule for an IM build and your IM splits.

trihard4me wrote:
apbadger wrote:
. EN is the biggest joke. I cannot believe anyone with a half a brain listens to them. I guess they'd attract the couch to Ironman athletes that are lazy to begin with and want to put in the minimum effort to finish. Which is fine and all, but for serious triathletes. Come on, they suck bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just my n=1....

I find that I absolutely run better if I don't hammer every single hill. Also, the HIMs and IMs I've done are always full of guys boasting about their wicked fast bike times....but they're all walking.

I agree with you that EN is probably wrong in most cases with just writing about the bike. Your all out time should be faster than a Zone 3 ride. However, you should be able to run better after the Zone 3 ride. I'm thinking about the longer endurance races, not the sprint guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, I usually stay out of these things, but your emotional investment in this is quite telling. I always like to open up coherent arguments with all caps and personal attacks.

I had not read the article in question, but after reading it, this is most decidedly not a new thing in the slightest. The article itself is pretty market-y, but it's pretty clear that the one 'test' that you quoted is intended to demonstrate to those that need reassurance that almost any course is actually ridden faster by 'flattening' the course for an individual effort, maintaining a relatively steady power versus surges and breaks.

I could critique this claim some, first in the obvious in that calling 85% FTP easy is a bit of a stretch. I bet most athletes would find a ride 45 mile ride at a steady 85% FTP much harder than they anticipate, by and large because most athletes are very bad at riding at steady power.

The second possible critique is that I'm not sure you will always be faster on the steady individual ride depending on the length of the course. Riding with a high VI (variability index, i.e.. unsteady) is good at inflating your NP (normalized power) which you pay the cost for later in your ride. Short enough ride and it hasn't hit yet you yet.

Honestly, if you are having this much difficulty with the concept of advising an AG athlete to pace their HIM bike splits with a low VI, then well, good luck to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance Nation again makes no sense. [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They said ride it like a roadie - that doesn't mean all-out for the entire ride. All the roadie groups I've ridden with hammer for relatively short sections and then basically doddle along in between...when they aren't sitting in a parking lot "regrouping" for 15min.

clairec2007 wrote:
Just my n=1....

Your all out time should be faster than a Zone 3 ride. However, you should be able to run better after the Zone 3 ride. I'm thinking about the longer endurance races, not the sprint guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance Nation again makes no sense. [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm willing to bet Strauss and McCrann both have long course resumes that will send yours to the shredder.
(Not that you can't express your willful ignorance here anyway.)
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance Nation again makes no sense. [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
You're the one full of crap, not EN.

EN is saying that if you target a steady VI, you can rack up more TSS than burning matches, killing it on every hill.

If you "train properly" you don't kill every hill in a triathlon, if you do, you find out real soon that doesn't work. The only triathletes I see killing the hills "consistantly" in a triathlon race is pretty much NO ONE. Everyone know we all have to run afterwords, they may kill a couple hills in the beginning and find out real soon after that.

Unless, of course, they are speaking of the untrained or poorly trained triathletes. Such as, not swimming in the off season triathletes. I guess then when they come out the water after "flailing" in the water for 45-50 minutes in a Half IM, now they think they have to make up time on the bike so they HAMMER WAY TOO HARD. It's just poor training and EN dishes it out and it's not free either. (Slap to forehead!)
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance Nation again makes no sense. [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hold on there cowboy - did you really mean to reply to me?
McNulty wrote:
I'm willing to bet Strauss and McCrann both have long course resumes that will send yours to the shredder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: KAlber: Jul 17, 13 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance Nation again makes no sense. [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clairec2007 wrote:
Just my n=1....

I agree with you that EN is probably wrong in most cases with just writing about the bike. Your all out time should be faster than a Zone 3 ride. However, you should be able to run better after the Zone 3 ride. I'm thinking about the longer endurance races, not the sprint guys.

You are 100% correct on that one!! EN is wrong in most cases. If I ride in Zone 3, I will be faster on the run. If I ride in Zone 1, I'll be even FASTER on the run. What I am saying is that NO ONE burns Zone 5 on the bike in a long triathlon and expects to run or even walk the remaining run portion.
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance Nation again makes no sense. [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

I am a former professional triathlete and NO I will not tell you my name. I am just sick of the crappy coaching out there and it bugs me to no end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So...about those IM splits of yours...waiting...

trihard4me wrote:
You are 100% correct on that one!! EN is wrong in most cases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love watching folks fly by me on hills, especially at the beginning of races. (I am terrible on the hills). I just try to stay seated and spin. But most of the time, I will catch up to them, and usually pass, on the flat after the hill. Then they do it again.
But after a while, they usually seem to no longer pass me again, and I sure never see them on the run. I never kill a hill. Just try to be steady and then give it effort on the downhill.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think their article is just worded very poorly. For a novice, their points are probably true. But, for a well trained athlete who can hammer out some hills and still maintain a high effort for a 20-45 mile loop, they are dead wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the operative word here is FORMER PROFESSIONAL because your original post certainly doesn't ooze professionalism. I have no problem if you disagree with a particular coaching strategy but why go out of your way to bash something that doesn't impact you. If you are certain your way is better then start coaching and put everyone else out of business with your results. Prove you are more than ignorant ranting.

trihard4me wrote:
I am a former professional triathlete and NO I will not tell you my name. I am just sick of the crappy coaching out there and it bugs me to no end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
Unless, of course, they are speaking of the untrained or poorly trained triathletes. Such as, not swimming in the off season triathletes.

I hear ya - I take about 4 months off from swimming completely every year. I'n so poorly trained I have no business qualifying for Kona :)
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance Nation again makes no sense. [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
first in the obvious in that calling 85% FTP easy is a bit of a stretch. I bet most athletes would find a ride 45 mile ride at a steady 85% FTP much harder than they anticipate, by and large because most athletes are very bad at riding at steady power.

85% FTP is not Easy at all, good point. I think EN has it a little mixed up, first off, rarely does anyone really rides above an average of 85% FTP in a long distance triathlon. Secondly, even if you pushed above 85% on the up hills you end up recovering on the down hills, which then you realized quickly that is not good. Third, I think they are targeting untrained cyclist, that push unsteady for 20 miles or so, thinking they going fast but actually or bonking near the end. So then a steady ride would be faster. But they are making BROAD assumptions that EVERY triathlete does these things and THEY DON'T. Most triathletes know how to bike in a triathlon, if they don't, they find out quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
Nick_Barkley wrote:
You're the one full of crap, not EN.

If you "train properly" you don't kill every hill in a triathlon, if you do, you find out real soon that doesn't work. The only triathletes I see killing the hills "consistantly" in a triathlon race is pretty much NO ONE. Everyone know we all have to run afterwords, they may kill a couple hills in the beginning and find out real soon after that.

Unless, of course, they are speaking of the untrained or poorly trained triathletes. Such as, not swimming in the off season triathletes. I guess then when they come out the water after "flailing" in the water for 45-50 minutes in a Half IM, now they think they have to make up time on the bike so they HAMMER WAY TOO HARD. It's just poor training and EN dishes it out and it's not free either. (Slap to forehead!)

Uhhhh....you realize you just confirmed what EN is trying to say, right? A lot of beginning triathletes (who EN largely caters to) do exactly what you describe above (hammer the hills no matter what) and EN is trying to help correct that with this "exercise."

Well done.....you just confirmed that which you so hotly criticized.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance Nation again makes no sense. [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
So...about those IM splits of yours...waiting...

trihard4me wrote:

You are 100% correct on that one!! EN is wrong in most cases.

Low 9's... I won't tell you who I am, so don't ask.
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance Nation again makes no sense. [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
I think their article is just worded very poorly. For a novice, their points are probably true. But, for a well trained athlete who can hammer out some hills and still maintain a high effort for a 20-45 mile loop, they are dead wrong.

Thank you.... ..
Quote Reply

Prev Next