Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Endless winter...
Quote | Reply
Well, here in northern Illinois we had horizontal snow last night...the wind blowing the snow so hard you couldn't see a thing and the wind chills are below zero here today. Was hoping to get out and do a longer run today, but ended up swimming 4000 at the pool this morning instead. Boy, what I'd give for a 55 degree day to do a quick 20 miles on my bike, which I haven't been on since a day in early November. Getting antsy!

Worst of all? I was looking forward to the ESPN broadcast of IM-Wisconsin this Sunday night for a little mid-winter motivation. Now I see it's been pushed back to April. Dang.

Alright, enough cabin fever whining...going to hit the treadmill!:)
Quote Reply
Re: Endless winter... [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know exactly what you are talking about, although the weather in southeast michigan is a little more conducive to running. I am going crazy indoors on the trainer. No matter how much I try, I can't stay on my trainer longer than 1.5 hours. I'm kind of going of wondering if all the stuff I am doing on the trainer is actually improving my cycling, or just maintaining it- it's tough not having any feedback.

I also miss the enjoyment of a nice ride just before sundown. There's nothing like it.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This winter has been like Siberian Jihad. We had the horizontal snow last night too. The wind was so strong it was scarring my cats. Training outside is not possible right now. Running isn't even advisable. So its the Computrainer and plane tickets. This weekend my little French-Canadian Princess and I are going to Banff for skiing and hiking in the mountain and next I am at Dan's FIST school where we may get a ride in. At least it will be warmer- probably even warmer in Banff. Especially in the hot tub.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Endless winter... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This weekend my little French-Canadian Princess and I are going to Banff for skiing and hiking in the mountain
What I meant to point out here is that Tom seems to be working his way through the GF thing relatively well at this point.
Last edited by: mr. mike: Feb 12, 03 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: Endless winter... [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it is training, and she is a Princess (and a good engineer too).

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you Mark, I'm also in Northern, IL and after spring hits I don't care if I ever see my trainer or treadmill again (at least not for a few months). I'll run outside in the 20's and will bike out there if it is in the mid 30's, but with the wind and brutal cold we've been seeing, it's been inside or nothing. The only way I can handle 2+ hours on the trainer without going bonkers is to rent a movie and even then it's tough.

I guess the good thing is that I end up spending a lot more time working on swim technique in the pool, and I need it.

Hang in there, you're not alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cold weather is no excuse
http://www.enteract.com/~icebike/Articles/SlowerWinter.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Endless winter... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are a tough man cerveloguy. Tougher than I. I'm a wuss.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Endless winter-in Chicago [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the upside: heatwave for the rest of the week expected - temps are climbing to 35. I'll be riding my MTB on the chicago lakefront tomorrow. Anybody out there?
Quote Reply
Re: Endless winter... [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want a good non-thinking trainer movie, I suggest Blue Crush. Girls surfing in hawaii, pretty much like watching a music video for 90 minutes. Takes your mind off the -20 windchill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all that snow why not strap on some XC skis and do about 20K? Great workout and will keep your muscles strong. A little cross training never hurts!
Quote Reply
Re: Endless winter... [ncooksey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the sound of that, thanks Ncooksey

It's funny you mention that particular movie because I was "reviewing" the box for it in the video store last week, but for some reason my wife didn't agree that we should rent it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cross country sking is a great exercise, but we really haven't had a lot of snow per se...just this on and off wicked 3 days of wind whipped stuff followed by a bit of a break and then more of the cold etc. etc.

Just to keep a little motivation going I am planning to drive north to Madison this weekend if the temps are at all palatable and figure out exactly how this run loop works up there for IM-W. Figure I can do a loop up through campus sliding down Observatory Drive if I have to.

...and in response to an earlier suggestion, ironically enough my wife and I almost bought the Blue Crush DVD today. I'm told it actually isn't all that bad a movie!

Hang in there folks!

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding a bike with 300 screws in each tire so you fall as often is not as much fun as a nice light set of wheels and tires. The weather in northern N.Y. is cold with lots of snow this year. I can't wait for spring and swimming in lake Ontario and lots of birds and shorts long bike rides. On my winter bike the tires are so clean from snow like new clean. I like winter but don't like March If we could just get rid of it some way. Got To go shovel it's snowing again. See you in April.

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, Blue Crush is just OK.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife loved blue crush... she is normally a fan of much more intelectual foreign films. Sometimes you need to just chill out. Go figure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got off my bike after two hours on the rollers. Yesterday the windchill was -35C. I can't wait for some warmer weather to come. I injured my calf running in all this slop and actually tested it out with a 2 mile treadmill run today (I despise the treadmill) so all of my training has been indoor running and swimming. The last time I did this sort of thing to my leg it was summer so at least I was able to ride outside.

Can't wait for spring!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed it has been a cold snowy winter here in Southern Ontario. A few thoughts:

1. The last few winters have been realtivly warm. Last winter in particular was the warmest on record. This winter, if the trend continues will be the coldest in 10 years. Thus, this winter has been a bit of a shock based on recent trends, but the experts say that in reality that it is close to "normal" - whatever that means in the game of weather.

2. As it relates to triathlon training, looking back over my training logs from years past, I invariably had my best season of running and triathlon competition after the longest, and coldest winters. Why? I cross-country skiied more. I ran hard and fast when I could, and didn't run at all when I could not ie I rested more. I swam more. I did more short high quality indoor bike sessions. And finally, when the good warm weather came, I was really ready to let it rip!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been training in Winnipeg for the last 6 years and this is by far the coldest winter yet. Still manage to get in a long run outside on the weekends, but have had to stay in the hour range. The good news is that spring time on the prairies is only two months away.

Evan Nitschmann
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just moved to Western Maine after living in S.IL for the last 5 years or so - talk about a shock. You could ride out doors all year down there, up here is a totally different game. Prior to that I lived near the IA/MN border so I familiar with cold otherwise I'd probably not make it up here. I've been running about 60 miles a week outdoors but it is tough. Today my lunch time run was around 5*. I guess my greatest satisfaction is the looks on faces of passing motorists. I actually have a friend who runs in shorts - no matter what. We did a workout Tuesday night and the temp was around 5*, he was in shorts like always.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gosh darn I feel smart. I picked up short course speed skating this winter and actually don't want it to end. What an intense, challenging, and fun cross training sport to pick up. You either have to deal with the cards your dealt or pick up a new one. Made a bunch of new friends along the way. You never too old to start anything!
Quote Reply