Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Endless pool owners... would you buy one again?
Quote | Reply
We're about to begin an exterior remodel of our house, and I'm thinking of including the addition of an Endless pool to the project. I'm curious to hear from those that own one what you think about it and, if you had to do it over again, whether you buy one again. I've read the other threads here, including Slowman's series of articles on the Endless pool, so I'm not so much looking for feedback on what swimming in an Endless pool is like, but rather simply whether you feel you've gotten the expected value out of the investment and whether in hindsight you'd do it again.

Thanks,
John
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool owners... would you buy one again? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.The maintenance and heating cost savings vs. a larger sized lap pool alone made it worthwhile.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool owners... would you buy one again? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've had an Endless Pool Fastlane for the past 5 years and still feel that it was an excellent investment. It's small enough to heat easily with solar and the chemical usage is minimal as in we're still using the very first bucket of chlorine tablets purchased 5 years ago.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO! it is so boring I what drive a nail in my head after 10min.s......
save your money!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes
We are in oz and have had our endless pool going since march
It's still only new but I think it's the best thing we have ever purchased as far training and lifestyle goes

It's minus 2c outside this morning but we just swam in 30 deg water
Beutifful
It's very easy to look after and you can swim all year round
Cheers
Ip
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool owners... would you buy one again? [ironpo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30 degree water? Yikes, a bit toasty, no? Regardless, awesome purchase I'm sure. Enjoy!

Quote | Reply
irontri wrote:
30 degree water? Yikes, a bit toasty, no? Regardless, awesome purchase I'm sure. Enjoy!
30 deg is nice for the colder months but turn it down as it gets warmer
cheers
IP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes. no hesitation

Francois in Montreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that outdoors or an indoor endless pool?

If it's outside, how did you heat it?

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool owners... would you buy one again? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What solar system did you use? Does it heat the pool year round? What climate do you live in and how cold does it get in the winter?

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironpo wrote:
Yes
It's still only new but I think it's the best thing we have ever purchased as far training and lifestyle goes

Beutifful
Cheers
Ip

You also have to drive about 80k to a pool don't you?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool owners... would you buy one again? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
ironpo wrote:
Yes

Beutifful
Cheers
Ip

You also have to drive about 80k to a pool don't you?
Yep our closest pool is about 80 k and the one we use in summer 100k(50 m)
When I put it in I thought I would still swim in a pool once a week but now Im thinking that we can do all our swimming in our pool at home
I'm doing sets of upto 2hr in the pool for the long swim of the week and that's what I was doing at the real pool as well as swimming everyday not just 2/3 times a week

We use solar for 6/9 months of the year and the electric heater that comes with the endless pool for winter, in winter it can snow here and summer is 30/40 deg everyday
We just had people here for a lunch and the adults and kids were swimming. And it's 12deg here today with sub zero overnite
It's a great thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NOOOOOO! I have a fastlane and hated it from day one! I canride hours on the trainer or run on a dreadmill but DETEST the Fastlane.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool owners... would you buy one again? [iurnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iurnman wrote:
NOOOOOO! I have a fastlane and hated it from day one! I canride hours on the trainer or run on a dreadmill but DETEST the Fastlane.
Is the fast lane the one you put in your own existing pool?
If its is, it's nothing like the endless pool as it sucks from one end and pumps it out the other end. Hence the WHOLE pool moves as one sheet of water
Cheers
Ip
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool owners... would you buy one again? [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
What solar system did you use? Does it heat the pool year round? What climate do you live in and how cold does it get in the winter?

Nate,

I installed 4- 4' X 10' Fafco Sungrabber panels on the south facing shed roof of a very small building I built to house the pool and other items in our winter.

The pool resides outdoor in snowy, cold upstate NY and is taken down for the winter. I set the pool up in mid-May and run it until about mid October. This year it took two days to heat the water from the 52 degrees F. our well water comes in at to the high 70s. It takes less than 2 hours to set up or knock down the pool at the beginning or end of the year. It's a 9' X 17'.

Last summer the DW did all her training for both 10 mile and 10K open water swims in this pool with excellent success. She does swim with a Swimp3 to help make the time fly buy. Last summer's workouts were ~ 7000 yards per day , 7 days per week for the 4 weeks leading up to the 10 mile swim.

Those who can't stand swimming in a Fastlane you will hate open water too as it's an excellent simulation of that environment.

Hugh

Last edited by: sciguy: Jul 22, 12 7:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironpo wrote:
I'm doing sets of upto 2hr in the pool for the long swim of the week and that's what I was doing at the real pool as well as swimming everyday not just 2/3 times a week

A question: for doing, say, 100m fast sets, how fast of a pace can the endless generate?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I would. No pools nearby so really EP or a lap pool was only option for us. I've posted to a couple of threads with pics and details of our layout--we really like it and we don't use it for just swimming as we often float in it with a drink to watch the sunsets as well. Yup--I'd do it all over again.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool owners... would you buy one again? [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure would. Audio books can really help with the bordem factor, but with the mirrors, I don't find it any worse than watching a black line on the bottom of a pool. Open water swimming is always better, but not always an option for me in Canada.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I live in Reno and I bet our spring/summer/fall is pretty close to yours. I also have a shed right where I'd like to put the pool...I like the idea of using solar panels. Probably more upfront cost but you don't feel bad heating it after that. Plus you look cool to the neighbors.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool owners... would you buy one again? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is that different than swimming in a lap pool?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would sooooo have an EP if I had $30K or whatever it costs to get it up and running. The city pools are so hot here half the year I can barely swim half a workout b/f I start feeling nauseous. Friday morning: 8 am long course. 85* and water temp 86*. By 1pm the water temp is ~ 90.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
absolutely, have my fastlane pool now for 3 years and no problems with it at all. also, customer service has gotten really good last year!
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool owners... would you buy one again? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see that the Fastlane set ups are listed for $12,000 at this point. I know they use to have pretty good promotions at the IM expos. We paid ~ $7000 for ours 5 years ago through one of those promos. We can run the pool water through our solar panels at night to cool the water if it gets too hot in really torrid weather.

Hugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pumps, maintenance or 'gremlins' you have discovered? Easy pleasey? I look at the constant pump failures of my neighbors pool and all the other shennanigans she goes through and just cringe at the idea of that crap.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool owners... would you buy one again? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
Pumps, maintenance or 'gremlins' you have discovered? Easy pleasey? I look at the constant pump failures of my neighbors pool and all the other shennanigans she goes through and just cringe at the idea of that crap.

Easy peasy so far in all regards. The water filtration pump is a just a standard pool pump and would be inexpensive to replace if need be. The hydraulic drive pump would probably be a bigger deal to replace but so far so good. You're supposed to have the impeller drive overhauled every 5 years or so but we have yet to do that.

Hugh

Last edited by: sciguy: Jul 22, 12 17:12
Quote Reply

Prev Next