Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase?
Quote | Reply
Considering getting an endless pool/spa combo. I've used an endless pool in the past years ago for a swim analysis, but otherwise have had no direct exposure. If you own or have extensively used an endless pool, please give me your thoughts.

Happy with purchase? Can it replace playing wall tag at the gym pool for triathlon training (up to full ironman races)?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [Vapor Trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about one too. When I google "where can I try an endless pool" the only option I found is on the official Endless Pool inviting me to come to the showroom in Pennsylvania. Surely, there has to be another place to try one out.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [Vapor Trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We’ve had an Endless Pool since the end of 2014, been very happy with it. It can definitely replace training in a regular lap pool. Ours is a “regular” Endless Pool, I’ve never swam in one of their swim spas.

My wife is a former collegiate swimmer who does almost all of her swim training in the EP and loves it. She’s a FOP triathlon swimmer. I’m a mediocre swimmer who doesn’t do enough training, but that’s not the fault of the EP!

As far as trying one out, if you contact Endless Pools, they should be able to set up a demo in your area. We’ve had a number of people who are interested in buying one try out our pool over the last few years.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [rtc9f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We love ours. live where there is no pool available 8 months of the year. I have to get a couple swims in open water before races otherwise i swim 80%
In Reply To:
in my ep Bought it used from classifieds here
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [rtc9f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much does an EP cost? Ballpark...?
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [Dan94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know what their current prices are, but I’d guess at least $20-25k to start...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

We have the Fastlane which is the current generator for a swimming pool. When we were shopping for a home we looked at house with the Endless Pool. She would not turn it on for us to see. It was not very attractive so we had a pool built and the current generator put in. It looks much better.

It is tremendously boring to use. Mostly I stare at the drain on the bottom of the pool for 1/2 hour. But if not for this, I would swim very very little. All said and done, I would do it again.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've spent around 10+ hours in one for swim coaching. Personally, I didn't like it and think it would utterly dull to use. For me at least, because it's forcing water towards you, I had a more difficult time feeling the catch. It felt like the water was pushing my arms back, rather than me getting purchase on the water and propelling myself forward.

Also, I like having the certainty at the pool of exactly what my swim pace and distances are. The Endless gives you an estimate of pace, which I doubt is very accurate, and you'd have to go by time and pace to estimate how far you swam.

Having said that, if I didn't have access to a lap pool, then obviously something is better than nothing. Although at $20k+, I'd almost consider just building a pool with sufficient length to swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DV8R wrote:
I'm thinking about one too. When I google "where can I try an endless pool" the only option I found is on the official Endless Pool inviting me to come to the showroom in Pennsylvania. Surely, there has to be another place to try one out.

I have one but I'm in Australia.

When I purchased mine I contacted the importer in Brisbane and he called a few people within my area asking if I could come and try one of theirs.

The guy I went to was an ultraman guy and we are now great friends too.

I love mine. Avoid the spa types as they get too much "WASH" and it's a messy swim.

Call the head office and ask them if anyone in your area has one to go and test.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I've spent around 10+ hours in one for swim coaching. Personally, I didn't like it and think it would utterly dull to use. For me at least, because it's forcing water towards you, I had a more difficult time feeling the catch. It felt like the water was pushing my arms back, rather than me getting purchase on the water and propelling myself forward.

Also, I like having the certainty at the pool of exactly what my swim pace and distances are. The Endless gives you an estimate of pace, which I doubt is very accurate, and you'd have to go by time and pace to estimate how far you swam.

Having said that, if I didn't have access to a lap pool, then obviously something is better than nothing. Although at $20k+, I'd almost consider just building a pool with sufficient length to swim.

I felt the same. I don't own one, but have used one on several occasions. My feeling is that of course the above is what I experienced. The main thing though, was balancing on the jetting stream of water--fall off that stream & you're shot out the back. In a regular pool that isn't going to happen. So found myself using a lot of energy balancing on that stream, rather than using the energy for the actual swim stroke/body roll/and-or kicking. It was a fight every time when compared to pool swimming. Maybe I don't have the knack for it, but it felt very unrealistic for swimming IMO. However, to each his own. Some don't have a choice where they live.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just installed a fast lane on a friend’s pool when I remodel it for her. She loves it. I tried it out sans goggles and it was very cool. I wouldn’t be surprised if two could swim if the current was set to a higher enough pace and you stayed back a ways.

Don
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:

I think I'd just buy a Vasa erg since at $2K it is much less expensive. However, I would not take a job in a location w/o a decent pool, swimming being a very high priority for me. :)

Also, your comment about the water pushing your arms back is very insightful. I've always had the feeling that using one of these would feel very weird, and now I know why. Also, the boredom would be huge issue, with no one in the next lane to swim against. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an alternative, I’ve always wondered whether you could just tether your legs to one end of a pool so you don’t go anywhere and then swim on the spot without moving forward?...
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a high school and college swimmer. FOP triathlon swimmer, but not as fast as I probably should be considering my background. I have a Fastlane and it works great, but is pretty boring. I have used a Vasa and IMHO there really is no comparison. Endless pool is much better. I like that you can make small changes in technique and get immediate feedback by whether or not you drop back or pull forward in the current. I also find it really points out streamlining flaws because it will push you out of the flow if you get out of alignment.

It is advertised as creating a flow rate equal to 1:08 per 100 yard pace, but I don't think so. It may only be 1:12 pace, but that is just my feeling. Despite all of those positives, I just can't get past the boredom of it, so it doesn't get much use.
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
I was a high school and college swimmer. FOP triathlon swimmer, but not as fast as I probably should be considering my background. I have a Fastlane and it works great, but is pretty boring. I have used a Vasa and IMHO there really is no comparison. Endless pool is much better. I like that you can make small changes in technique and get immediate feedback by whether or not you drop back or pull forward in the current. I also find it really points out streamlining flaws because it will push you out of the flow if you get out of alignment.
It is advertised as creating a flow rate equal to 1:08 per 100 yard pace, but I don't think so. It may only be 1:12 pace, but that is just my feeling. Despite all of those positives, I just can't get past the boredom of it, so it doesn't get much use.

OK, I will defer to your experience with the Vasa and Fast Lane. But still, as you said, the boredom factor is huge. I never ever get bored in the pool, mainly b/c there are an almost infinite number of combinations of strokes, distances, and tools that you can use. Mostly though, I just enjoy the feeling of flowing smoothly through the water. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [iSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iSam wrote:
As an alternative, I’ve always wondered whether you could just tether your legs to one end of a pool so you don’t go anywhere and then swim on the spot without moving forward?...

You could but that would mind-numbingly boring. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It gives you a much better feel for the catch than you would think, but I am not really sure of the science behind why. Maybe, its just me, but I like swimming upstream into the current in rivers too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More so than an Endless Pool?
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [iSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fastlane is just the "in-ground" version of endless pool. Really no difference
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iSam wrote:

Tether yourself around the waist, not the legs, silly. And if you have enough room, use a stretch cord not something without any flex like a rope or nylon strap.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think someone like you or me would get more out of the Vasa. My mom has one of the cheaper models of an endless pool (above ground with one of the fastlane generators) in her basement and at top speed (supposedly around 1:08/100y) it is way too easy. It feels more like body surfing with a wave than actually swimming against the current. I have some video I could share, but I don't have a comparison in a regular pool at the same 'pace'.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:
I think someone like you or me would get more out of the Vasa. My mom has one of the cheaper models of an endless pool (above ground with one of the fastlane generators) in her basement and at top speed (supposedly around 1:08/100y) it is way too easy. It feels more like body surfing with a wave than actually swimming against the current. I have some video I could share, but I don't have a comparison in a regular pool at the same 'pace'.

Body surfing with a wave??? Oh well...

Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elite version supposed to top out at 51/100Y pace. 1:12 would be utterly useless to me.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Jul 3, 19 8:41
Quote Reply
Re: Endless pool (or similar) owners: happy with purchase? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had it to do all over again, I would likely get the elite version, but even at 1:10-1:12 /100 yds it is generally fast enough. I am old.
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Jul 4, 19 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got an Elite version EP. While it is very nice to swim at home and to always have an easy "go to" option, ours has been a challenge from a reliability standpoint. We had a full custom build and dimensions to fit a dedicated "pool" room in a newly constructed house. We are three years in on it, and are on the third motor unit! The first two motors had seals leak and spread a thin oil film throughout the pool. EP claimed this "never happens". Not true. The clean up and repair was a real pain. Warranty covered some, but not all of the cost. Then we had more than one tear in the liner, and no one knows why. This required two separate "leak finder" experts to identify. All the while, of course, the pool is completely un useable. Now, after two motor failures and multiple leaks, all of which ran costs up in to the thousands, we are back in business, I hope. So, while it is a good concept, beware that EP is VERY big on the marketing side, but once you get it installed, the after sale service is mediocre at best. We had to fight with them to replace motors and they never do so without charge, just a big discount. I'm not telling you no to an EP, but they are not without their issues.
Quote Reply

Prev Next