Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
End the wheel debate !!!
Quote | Reply
since 2019ā€¦ my last Ironman, I sold my bike with my Zipp 404ā€™s and now Iā€™m looking at wheels as Iā€™m doing a Ironman again in 2023

Hookless seems to be what most manufacturers are doing and tubeless. Manufacturers like zipp and Enve are stating max pressures of 70 psi

Am I behind the times?

I was expecting to run 25-28c tires with tubes and 90 psi. I have not had a desire for tubeless on a road bike. I do run tubeless on my mountain bike.

Tell me what you are doing!
Quote Reply
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This won't end any debate, just as the last 1000 threads about this haven't. Lol

Some will tell you hookless is better because in some theoretical world it is cheaper and/or stronger and/or more aero because of the transition.

Others will tell you the theoretical extra strength is either not real or not necessary (when was the last time you broke a wheel), the cost isn't passed on (there are $150 hooked carbon wheels so hooks aren't making the cost difference between a $2500 wheel and $1500 wheel), and it hurts aero because it forces tires to balloon past 105% unless you undersize the tires (even 25mm tires will blow up to the 27mm ext width of a new Zipp if the internal width is 23mm).

Given that narrower tires at higher pressures are faster on smooth tarmac, it seems silly to limit yourself to 70psi for a TT/tri bike unless you know all of your races will be on crap surfaces.

In addition to the above, I won't personally go for hookless because hooks are an additional safety feature in case of a blowout.

In practice, I just don't see any tangible benefit of hookless for the consumer in the current landscape of products.
Quote Reply
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
This won't end any debate, just as the last 1000 threads about this haven't. Lol

Some will tell you hookless is better because in some theoretical world it is cheaper and/or stronger and/or more aero because of the transition.

Others will tell you the theoretical extra strength is either not real or not necessary (when was the last time you broke a wheel), the cost isn't passed on (there are $150 hooked carbon wheels so hooks aren't making the cost difference between a $2500 wheel and $1500 wheel), and it hurts aero because it forces tires to balloon past 105% unless you undersize the tires (even 25mm tires will blow up to the 27mm ext width of a new Zipp if the internal width is 23mm).

Given that narrower tires at higher pressures are faster on smooth tarmac, it seems silly to limit yourself to 70psi for a TT/tri bike unless you know all of your races will be on crap surfaces.

In addition to the above, I won't personally go for hookless because hooks are an additional safety feature in case of a blowout.

In practice, I just don't see any tangible benefit of hookless for the consumer in the current landscape of products.

This ^ seems a good summary of where we are at the moment.

I run traditional hook rims with innertubes (conti 5000 25mm with latex), so I only know the handling of tubeless and/or hookless from reading, but thereā€˜s a few problems I see and like to add:
The problem of pumping up a tubeless tire: the sudden blow you need in the beginning to get the flanges of the tire airtight to the rim.
I do not know if you need tire sealant obligatory, but I do not like the idea of messing around with that at all.

But the wheel debate will certainly not end with this thread. The only subject where the discussion could end is disc brake or rim brake. I think that choice will be made by the the market, making rim brakes less and less available.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Nov 26, 22 1:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:

Thanks for the response and this sums up my logic as well. I wasnā€™t sure if others had a different view. I am surprised the major wheels like Enve and Zipp have almost exclusively hookless. Makes me re-think what I consider the best wheelset. Iā€™m now liking the Roval wheels more. They are all hooked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
I won't personally go for hookless because hooks are an additional safety feature in case of a blowout.

I've yet to hear of someone having a "blowout" with hookless rims. Burping on low-pressure MTB/CX tires, yes. (I'm sure they've happened, just haven't heard of one)

Quote:
(when was the last time you broke a wheel)

I've shattered two of my (hooked) Reynolds wheels on potholes . Not claiming hookless would have been any better. Both were brutal potholes. Just answering the question: 2022.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 26, 22 6:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even with 28mm tires with tubes, you should probably be running a lower pressure than 90psi. And with most modern rims, a tire marked 28mm is probably going to actually measure a bit wider (most 25mm tires measure about 28mm on my wheels), so your ideal pressure would be even lower. With 25mm tires measuring 28mm and using tubes, I'm running between 75-80psi, despite being a Clydesdale, as that tested fastest for me. The 72.5psi limit on hookless rims isn't likely to be an issue, unless you want to run a much narrower tire...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even at 220 pounds on a 25mm tire Iā€™m not at 90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think tubeless is absolutely worth it and here to stay and will only improve over time. Hookless seems much more up in the air. It seems a few big manufacturers REALLY WANTED IT to take off, presumably because it saves them some cost, but other companies have not embraced it. One problem is that the Max PSI rating is simply too low for heavier riders on aero wheels and 25 tires. If we were all riding on 28s and 30s with our aero wheels it would sort of be ok (I still wouldnā€™t prefer it) but most aero wheels are optimized for 25s. Why would I invest in expensive, amazing wheels only to undo that with a tire that doesnā€™t interface well with it. For Road and everything beyond, sure, but Triathlon and TT might just stick at 25 as the sweet spot. And beyond all that, there simply doesnā€™t seem to be much of an ā€œadvantageā€ to the consumer other than the purportedly lower price.
Quote Reply
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crentist wrote:
presumably because it saves them some cost

To be fair, it probably saves us some cost to. E.g., the current generation of 303FC is significantly cheaper than the last.
Quote Reply
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:

When 23c was the standard, I ran 110 psi

I figured 90 psi runnng inner tubes was ok. So far, itā€™s been fine.
Quote Reply
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Crentist wrote:
presumably because it saves them some cost

To be fair, it probably saves us some cost to. E.g., the current generation of 303FC is significantly cheaper than the last.

What's the logic here? Good quality hooked carbon rims (something like Lightbicycle) start around what, $100-150? That's for the whole wheel including all fixed and variable costs of production. How much of that total cost can be the hooks? Certainly less than rounding to the nearest $50 on a $1000+ wheelset. Probably a total of a few dollars. Maybe a few dozen dollars at best.

The hooks are not why the 303FC dropped in price.

Tubeless is still annoying in many ways but at least it serves a practical purpose (puncture protection). Hookless wheels make things easier for the wheel manufacturer but bring no tangible benefits to consumers.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Nov 26, 22 23:38
Quote Reply
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair to hookless rims and the mfgā€™s, every hookless rim Iā€™ve seen is recommending wider tires (28mm) on their rims. They claim itā€™s actually more aero than a 25 mm on the same rim. And with a wider tire, you would run lower pressures than a narrow tire to keep the same casing tension and a similar crr for a given surface.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:

What's the logic here?

Not a mech-e, but I think it has to do with it simply being a simpler shape. Making a strong hook with thin thickness is a bit complicated. Making a thicker "wall" is easier.

Per your Lightbicycle crew: "Higher manufacturing efficiency. Hookless rims are easier to produce than hook rims as hooks require a complex 3-piece mold.."

(They also point out disadvantages to hookless, just cherry picked that since we were talking about cost specifically).

I don't have any hookless rims yet, no dog in fight. Just pointing out they do seem to be cheaper to make, which ultimately means they should be cheaper to boy.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 27, 22 6:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
iamuwere wrote:

I'm at over 110 psi at 25c at 145 pounds XD. I absolutely loathe pinch flats, and for the most part, can tolerate the harsh ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

What's the logic here?

Not a mech-e, but I think it has to do with it simply being a simpler shape. Making a strong hook with thin thickness is a bit complicated. Making a thicker "wall" is easier.

Per your Lightbicycle crew: "Higher manufacturing efficiency. Hookless rims are easier to produce than hook rims as hooks require a complex 3-piece mold.."

(They also point out disadvantages to hookless, just cherry picked that since we were talking about cost specifically).

I don't have any hookless rims yet, no dog in fight. Just pointing out they do seem to be cheaper to make, which ultimately means they should be cheaper to boy.

I 100% agree on direction but not the magnitude. It likely costs a few dollars to have hooks. Since mainstream wheel prices are usually rounded to the nearest $50 or $100, the cost savings of hookless wont register on the sale price.

When I said "logic" i was referring to that magnitude. High quality carbon rims with hooks start at $150. So how much of that cost can be eliminated by getting rid of the hook? Certainly not by the hundreds that Enve and Zipp dropped their prices on newer models.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Hookless seems to be what most manufacturers are doing and tubeless. Manufacturers like zipp and Enve are stating max pressures of 70 psi

Am I behind the times?

I was expecting to run 25-28c tires with tubes and 90 psi.
Not in my humble opinion - not in the real world. Show me ONE Time Trial, or bike leg of a Tri, that was won riding tires wider than 25mm @ 70 psi (or less).
Quote Reply
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
jharris wrote:

Am I behind the times?

I was expecting to run 25-28c tires with tubes and 90 psi.
Not in my humble opinion - not in the real world. Show me ONE Time Trial, or bike leg of a Tri, that was won riding tires wider than 25mm @ 70 psi (or less).

W/r to tire width, Sebastian Kienle rode 28mm tires on the new Zipp 858 23mm internal rim width hookless rim to the 4th fastest bike split in this yearā€™s IMWC. No he didnā€™t win the bike leg, but heā€™s near retirement and has always been respected for his bike gear knowledge. He runs whatā€™s fastest and if 28 didnā€™t work for him Iā€™m sure Zipp and Schwalbe would provide gear to his desired specs.

Fanella was also on the super-wide Parcours rims that are supposed to be optimized for 28mm tires to the 6th fastest bike split. I havenā€™t seen the tire width she used confirmed.

Both of these pros finished 6th at Kona. Not winning, but in the mix.

On both 28mm tires and hookless rims, there is an interesting cycling week article of an interview with Dove Tate of Parcours on tire/rim width, hooked vs hookless and more. He claims their testing shows 28-30mm being the all around fastest tire width when used with rims designed for them because of the ability to use lower tire pressure. Like other manufacturers he also talks about stability being a focus, but not having a quantifiable method of measuring it yet.

His view on hookless cost differentials is the same as BigboyND and he even spells out it is $2/wheel for Parcours. He says the advantage is in reduced quality control failures. For gravel, Parcours goes hookless to allow the use of more flexible resin at the rim lip. I donā€™t see where he addresses how some of these hookless rims are so much lighter and somewhat less costly than hooked rims from the same manufacturer.

I just returned from supporting my wife and some friends at IMAZ. If there is a venue where lower tire pressure would help, the IMAZ bike course would be it.
Quote Reply
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
W/r to tire width, Sebastian Kienle rode 28mm tires on the new Zipp 858 23mm internal rim width hookless rim to the 4th fastest bike split in this yearā€™s IMWC. No he didnā€™t win the bike leg, but heā€™s near retirement and has always been respected for his bike gear knowledge. He runs whatā€™s fastest and if 28 didnā€™t work for him Iā€™m sure Zipp and Schwalbe would provide gear to his desired specs.

Fanella was also on the super-wide Parcours rims that are supposed to be optimized for 28mm tires to the 6th fastest bike split. I havenā€™t seen the tire width she used confirmed.

Both of these pros finished 6th at Kona. Not winning, but in the mix.
I understand - but I'm talking larger than 25mm AND 70 psi or less - both conditions. Just because a manufacturer says no more than 70 psi, doesn't mean a Pro in an important race isn't going higher.

I think Aerocoach uses smooth rollers, but I believe BRR's drum is slightly over 1mm diamond plate, and their numbers IMHO indicate that with current tire technology, there is simply to high a penalty running at 70 psi for winning.
Quote Reply
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [justkeepedaling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justkeepedaling wrote:
jharris wrote:
iamuwere wrote:

I'm at over 110 psi at 25c at 145 pounds XD. I absolutely loathe pinch flats, and for the most part, can tolerate the harsh ride

The ride quality isn't the issue for me, its the increased rolling resistance from running pressure that high.

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
I understand - but I'm talking larger than 25mm AND 70 psi or less - both conditions. Just because a manufacturer says no more than 70 psi, doesn't mean a Pro in an important race isn't going higher.

I think Aerocoach uses smooth rollers, but I believe BRR's drum is slightly over 1mm diamond plate, and their numbers IMHO indicate that with current tire technology, there is simply to high a penalty running at 70 psi for winning.

I think youā€™re splitting hairs on the width and pressure agreement, but I will defer to letting time answer this debate. Iā€™ve been around cycling my entire life and have watched the tire widths continue to increase. A few years ago expertswould be using your arguments as a reason that 25mm tires were not aero and would never surpass 23mm tires. Before that it was 19 and 20mm versus 23mm. This is of course only the clincher progression. Tubulars were the holy grail and when rolling resistance tests started coming out on a consistent basis and across manufacturers. There were all kinds of cyclists butt hurt to find things like tubular gluing technique, latex tubes and wider 23mm tires rolled better than what expertsanecdotally thought were the best. The most memorable was the Conti GP4000 S II that rolled better than most every other tire at the time and was almost as aero as the narrowest tires that lost any advantage when aero was combined with rolling resistance. Before this no one could convince narrow tire advocates of the advantage of a wider tire and lower pressure. This happened at all levels. Look no further than Josh Poertnerā€™s experience at Zipp working with UCI World Tour teams and riders trying to convince them about wheel and tire improvements and tire pressure breakpoint performance.

I donā€™t think the penalty for 28ā€™s is too high at all. For Bingham and Ganna riding the hour records on the track, sure the high pressure, beyond ERTRO standards might happen. But for any rider on real world roads the 28ā€™s are generally going to be beneficial.

Your emphasis on winning is also splitting hairs. Kienle is a former IMWC and rode near the front with the best in the world in his retirement year. He isnā€™t paying any penalty riding this tire/wheel combo. The Kona course surfaces may not have rewarded him, as most of it outside of Kona town is pretty smooth, but there are many courses where his setup would provide a distinct advantage. If you can run this kind of combo anywhere why not? The current lack of deep wheels designed for 28mm tire performance is likely the only reason they have not been more widely adapted for Tri/TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
High quality carbon rims with hooks start at $150.

Well scale matters. You're referring to a company whose entire operation from HQ to factory is one facility in China. They might save $10-15/rim.

But if your entire design-and-production takes place in Indianapolis (Zipp) or Ogen (Enve), the entire cost structure scales up by an order of magnitude, and suddenly it's real money.

The value discussion of buying Zipp/Enve/HED vs. low-cost versions manufactured much more cheaply is a whole other thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm not talking about the value of buying Enve/Zipp/HED. Those are the wheels I buy. And many of the reasons why Chinee branded are cheap, are the same reasons I won't buy them.

But you're living in an alternate reality if you think it's possible to design and make an entire wheel for $150 and still have money left over for overhead an other costs, yet removing hooks can drop a wheel price by $500+ for another company.

Maybe someone from HED, AeroCoach, or FLO could tell us, since they post here regularly and produce wheels.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Nov 27, 22 23:10
Quote Reply
Re: End the wheel debate !!! [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
I think youā€™re splitting hairs on the width and pressure agreement, but I will defer to letting time answer this debate.
100% agree that Time will settle this debate, but splitting hairs?

You've mentioned Tri riders who've placed well on 28's, but you haven't mentioned how much actual time they may have given up - the difference between 1st and 6th can be huge. I do Time Trials - nothing but your Time is important, and I've been in races where (after riding 10 miles) the difference between 2nd and 3rd place (me by the way) was 23/100th of a second - less than a quarter of a second!! Yes, I split hairs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parcours claimed recently in this article that hooks are 2$ per wheel
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...ns-about-bike-wheels

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Last edited by: jcbesse: Nov 28, 22 5:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Hookless seems to be what most manufacturers are doing and tubeless.

And when a manufacture can guarantee the tire will not come off the rim during a blow out I "may" consider hookless. That could be catastrophic.
Quote Reply

Prev Next