Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Elizabeth Brackett dies after bike accident on Chicago's Lakeshore Path
Quote | Reply
Didn't see a post on Elizabeth Brackett, who died after a bike accident on the lakeshore path.

https://www.triathlon.org/...2/elizabeth_brackett

https://chicagotonight.wttw.com/...d-triathlete-dies-76

"Brackett was admitted to the hospital Wednesday morning following an apparent accident while she was biking along the lakefront path – a routine part of her triathlon training. She was found about 30 feet from the path near 39th Street Beach"

she died yesterday after being in a coma.

edit to add this link: - includes a video with an interview with Sharone from Well-Fit at 1:30
http://abc7chicago.com/...s-at-age-76/3614283/
Last edited by: ChiTownJack: Jun 18, 18 16:02
Quote Reply
Re: Elizabeth Brackett dies after bike accident on Chicago's Lakeshore Path [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad to read. Rest easy.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Elizabeth Brackett dies after bike accident on Chicago's Lakeshore Path [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Terrible. I'd heard her name before but didn't know much about her. Remarkable woman.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Elizabeth Brackett dies after bike accident on Chicago's Lakeshore Path [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talked to Elizabeth every year at the Terre Haute Triathlon. Just talked to her last month at the race. Always a nice person and a great competitor. Will be sadly missed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sad to hear this. We lost a swimmer in a 2-mile race I was in 3 weeks ago. If each of us can try to honor these losses by doing one extra thing for safety, pick a less traveled route, stay off that busy road without much in the way of shoulders, add a 2nd rear strobe light to your bike, anything that will give you a higher degree of successfully finishing the ride you started it will help. I was in Chicago in September for the Big Shoulders Lake Michigan Swim and the Lakeshore is a lovely place to ride. Seemed much more crowded at some times of day though.

At breakfast last week, one of us posed the question, "Does anyone at this table not know someone personally who was killed on a bike?" The table was silent.

Please, please be safe out there friends.

And to Elizabeth's family and friends, our deepest sympathies.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Elizabeth Brackett dies after bike accident on Chicago's Lakeshore Path [PaulAsay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride on this section a decent amount, but usually early in the morning. If it is early this part is usually pretty empty. I am still wondering what caused the crash.
Quote Reply
Re: Elizabeth Brackett dies after bike accident on Chicago's Lakeshore Path [emcmino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
emcmino wrote:
I ride on this section a decent amount, but usually early in the morning. If it is early this part is usually pretty empty. I am still wondering what caused the crash.

I rode that section on a beautiful Saturday afternoon last August and it wasn't crowded compared to most of the path to the north. My guess is that she lost consciousness because of a health issue and crashed. My condolences to her family and friends.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jun 19, 18 11:16
Quote Reply
Re: Elizabeth Brackett dies after bike accident on Chicago's Lakeshore Path [emcmino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
emcmino wrote:

per the ABC reporter (see the link to the story/video above) - Sharone from Well-fit looked at her GPS data and the reporter said
"that the bike may have been stuck in the mud and she was probably thrown from her bike breaking her vertebrae and spine."

if mud, she was probably off-path trying to avoid something
Quote Reply