Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely turned off bluetooth on my laptop and used only Ant and it still did the weird resistance fluctuations. Will be trying only bluetooth options tonight, no Ant. Will report back the results (so others searching for tips can see what's working and what's not.)
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No resistance control today using direto with zwift. Same set-up that's worked fine for the past year, laptop with ant+. After my workout I tried connecting my trainer with my garmin edge 520, and the garmin had no difficulty detecting the trainer and controlling the resistance, so that gives me hope that the problem is not with the direto-- it's either Zwift or the ant+ dongle. I'm hoping it's just a temporary glitch related to the new Zwift upgrade (New York). Anyone else experience same?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I just rode on Zwift two days ago...now I must preface this by saying it was the free ride(recovering from a hamstring tear) but no problem controlling resistance as far as I can tell (ANT+ USB stick by Suunto).

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyCaleb wrote:
No resistance control today using direto with zwift. Same set-up that's worked fine for the past year, laptop with ant+. After my workout I tried connecting my trainer with my garmin edge 520, and the garmin had no difficulty detecting the trainer and controlling the resistance, so that gives me hope that the problem is not with the direto-- it's either Zwift or the ant+ dongle. I'm hoping it's just a temporary glitch related to the new Zwift upgrade (New York). Anyone else experience same?

It's been that way for maybe a couple of months now, after they intentionally pushed out an update that was supposed to improve trainer realism. It improved it on a lot of trainers, but screwed over those of us with Diretos.

I tried only bluetooth and only Ant yesterday and still got the same problem. Arrrrgh.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weird. I just started riding indoors again last week, and didn't have a problem until today. I mean, I don't know if it was perfect, but at least a 10% grade felt like 10% and flat road felt like flat road. Today there was nothing, just like riding a dumb trainer (though at least it read my powe output). Is it an intermittent problem, one day it's ok and one day not? Maybe time to switch to sufferfest if not fixed soon...
Last edited by: AndyCaleb: Oct 19, 18 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, and we're at this stupid place where each company is pointing the finger at each other. Zwift says Elite should fix it, and Elite is blaming Zwift. One of them should just step up and fix it and quit putting us in the middle. It's getting really old.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Any suggestions on front wheel riser block for elite direto?I want to make front wheel and rear wheel(where direto attached) be on the same level.
Last edited by: Ksavostin: Oct 21, 18 12:43
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you kept the box that the diret came in, there is a piece of styrofoam in it that's the perfect shape and size -- has a groove in it that fits the front wheel perfectly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyCaleb wrote:
Weird. I just started riding indoors again last week, and didn't have a problem until today. I mean, I don't know if it was perfect, but at least a 10% grade felt like 10% and flat road felt like flat road. Today there was nothing, just like riding a dumb trainer (though at least it read my powe output). Is it an intermittent problem, one day it's ok and one day not? Maybe time to switch to sufferfest if not fixed soon...

My experience with the Direto….if it initially pairs with the Bluetooth on the trainer control section, I get no resistance control, even if you switch it back to ANT+. As soon as the device pairing screen comes up, I immediately hit "search" and then pair with the FE-C ANT+ trainer. If you miss that, just unplug the trainer for a few seconds, and then plug back in. That will give you time to search and pair the ANT+ FEC trainer.

Quote | Reply
Yeah, I never used Bluetooth, but I think maybe something in the settings got reset incorrectly with the last upgrade. The next day I tried clicking search and re-pairing just like you said, and since then no problems, knock on wood. I do find as tri-Brett said in an earlier post that there is a lot of fluctuation in power when I'm trying to just ride steady on flat road, though I'm not sure that's different from before -- always attributed it to my uneven pedalling stroke ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of switching to Zwift now that I have the Direto. So your saying it’s working normally as it should? Just make sure to use Ant+ for pairing with Zwift?

I will hold off on Zwift if the trainer isn’t going to work. I’ve only used it with my Garmin controlling it so far and no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyCaleb wrote:
Yeah, I never used Bluetooth, but I think maybe something in the settings got reset incorrectly with the last upgrade. The next day I tried clicking search and re-pairing just like you said, and since then no problems, knock on wood. I do find as tri-Brett said in an earlier post that there is a lot of fluctuation in power when I'm trying to just ride steady on flat road, though I'm not sure that's different from before -- always attributed it to my uneven pedalling stroke ;)

I think I have the power reading to 3 or 5 sec avg, and that helps a great deal. The power on the Zwift companion app on my phone isn't set up that way and jumps all over the place.

Quote | Reply
nickvox wrote:
I was thinking of switching to Zwift now that I have the Direto. So your saying it’s working normally as it should? Just make sure to use Ant+ for pairing with Zwift?

I will hold off on Zwift if the trainer isn’t going to work. I’ve only used it with my Garmin controlling it so far and no issues.

As long as the pairing is the ANT+ FEC one, I've had no issues, except as stated above (don't allow it to pair the trainer control bit to BT).

Quote | Reply
nickvox wrote:

Yes, it has always worked fine for me other than that one day. I don't know if it was related to the upgrade or to something I did, but it's fine now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Not sure how I be running it but have the ant + and extension so should be good. Thanks for the quick feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [nickvox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift has a 7day free trial.
Go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All, how often do you calibrate your trainers?

Apologies if this was already discussed up-thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the myETraining app.
Hopefully there is a better method, because that app is very bad...worse than the Tacx app, certainly worse than Wahoo's.

However, depending on how you run it, it might be close enough to not need calibration very often. I only do it when the seasons change and my garage becomes noticeably hotter/cooler, since I record everything by an external power meter anyway. The Direto's power meter is only used for erg and reports close enough even when I don't calibrate it often.

AFAIK, you cannot calibrate it in Zwift. TR has the ability to calibrate trainers. If you use that, it would undoubtedly be easier than the myE Training app.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar to the other response, I try to remember to calibrate about once per month or so, based on DC rainmaker’s comments (copied and pasted from his review):

"Now I will say that while I calibrated my unit once at the start, I haven’t done so since and it’s remained incredibly consistent and accurate – far more than almost any other trainer I’ve seen (except the Elite Drivo, which also uses OTS…and the Tacx Neo). As such for this trainer, my gut feel is you can get away with doing calibration every few weeks, or when the temperature significantly shifts in your pain cave."

I believe gplama made a similar comment in his review as well.

As to what to calibrate with, I use my garmin edge 520, and it seems to work just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All,

The last time i calibrated my Direto, I had a somewhat strange issue. The resistance afterwards was out of whack (like a good 10% off my Stages), and the offset number that was returned in calibration was a good 8 or 9 points different from the baseline number written on the sticker on the bottom of the unit. At the Elite service team's direction, i tightened a drive belt in the internals until the offset number returned during a subsequent calibration matched the baseline number on the bottom of the unit, and then things went back to normal (although note, the literature directing you how to do this is pretty limited; the manual says "ask your service team for direction," and the service team will basically tell you to read the manual).

I performed another calibration this morning after a ride (I figured it was about time for another calibration, and doing it this way would save the time it takes to warm up the machine as i would need to if i were to do it before the ride).

Again though, the offset number that was returned is a good 5 or 6 points off baseline, whereas my understanding is that it's only supposed to be 1 or 2 points away when you calibrate. I don't know for sure if I'm going to have the resistance / wattage inaccuracy issue again (we'll find out tomorrow i guess!) but it's still kinda weird.

Anyone else had this? Did i maybe just wind up with a lemon?

Thanks, any thoughts much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyCaleb wrote:
As to what to calibrate with, I use my garmin edge 520, and it seems to work just fine.

Excellent info! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have yet to calibrate my Direto but this thread has inspired me, so thank you. I'll report back.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [marsbe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has the issue with zwift been fixed yet?

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Direto owner - probably a very newbie question so apologies in advance.

On zwift I am getting no resistance changes at all when riding a course - I hit a hill, my speed slows but the resistance is the same....I dont believe this is how it should work. Am I wrong? I have followed the fixes for various issues that could cause this that Elite suggest and now I cannot even recalibrate the unit - it just shows a 'begin pedalling' screen that stays for evermore. It is hooked up with ant+ but I have tried it with bluetooth too and both together - no progress.

Im really keen to get going and would love to know what I need to do to get it working.

Many thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next