Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Elite Athlete License Question
Quote | Reply
If you meet the qualification criteria to get your Elite Athlete License for USAT are you able to compete in the ITU racing series too when you qualify to be an Elite?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Athlete License Question [distanceman01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully someone closer to the ITU series will chime in. It is a graduated kind of series. If you are a USAT elite, you can race the USAT/non-ITU draft legal series that is new for 2011. You can also race ITU continental cups provided you get on the start list...you have to submit through USAT. Then, if you have points you can do World Cup races. Then, if you have enough points, you can do World Championship Series races. The short answer is 'yes'. The longer answer is 'maybe' if you have the points, etc.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Athlete License Question [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is correct. Once you are in possession of your elite license, you are eligible to compete in ITU Continental Cups. Each National Federation (i.e. USAT) has a limited number of entries per event, so you must submit your intent to race a particular event (to your national federation). You either will or won't be placed on the start list based on how many people from your country are asking to race. If you make the list, you are good to race.

As Brandon pointed out, you can only race World Cup and World Championship Series if you earn enough points to qualify. I like to think of it as AA, AAA and the major leagues of ITU racing. You have to climb the ranks of the sport to race the WC or WCS, but the top guys can race where ever they please (i.e. Gomez *could* race a Continental Cup - not saying he would).

This is my first year racing ITU, so if someone with more experience has anything to add/correct, please do so.

Drew
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Athlete License Question [multisport101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the great information I really appreciate it I just could not find any clear details about that online.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Athlete License Question [multisport101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds about right. There was a loophole for a number of years, that non-elite license racers could race in ITU races outside of the country. Not sure if that one still exists or not. This was there because the ITU had no standards for CC races and the US did.

Come on Brandon, you were in the Big Leagues once.......
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Athlete License Question [trimess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimess wrote:
Sounds about right. There was a loophole for a number of years, that non-elite license racers could race in ITU races outside of the country. Not sure if that one still exists or not. This was there because the ITU had no standards for CC races and the US did.

Come on Brandon, you were in the Big Leagues once.......

I did an ITU Continental Cup race in Mexico before I had an elite license...my teammates all have theirs and my coach encouraged me to go as well. I raced in a borrowed jersey with someone else's name on it. You can get away with a lot in Mexico :)

Ryan Borger - Denver, CO: Realtor. Former pro triathlete/coach. Cancer survivor. podiumproperties.com
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Athlete License Question [rundutch22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ballsy to admit that on a forum where people are crucified for banditing a race. ha!

I don't know the specifics, but I do believe there is/was an actual loophole for someone to race in foreign countries without their elite card as the other poster mentioned. I would assume this is only an option if the national federations allotted slots aren't full for that particular race. That likely means you are going to have to travel outside of Mexico and Canada these days. Hopefully, someone with more info may chime in.

Drew
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Athlete License Question [ahaberkorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahaberkorn wrote:
Ballsy to admit that on a forum where people are crucified for banditing a race. ha!

I don't know the specifics, but I do believe there is/was an actual loophole for someone to race in foreign countries without their elite card as the other poster mentioned. I would assume this is only an option if the national federations allotted slots aren't full for that particular race. That likely means you are going to have to travel outside of Mexico and Canada these days. Hopefully, someone with more info may chime in.

Drew

I have nothing to hide :). Yes, basically USAT I believe has to approve it, since you have to register thru the governing body aka USAT. Also, just an FYI for most continental cup races there's not a limited amount of people per country. It's up to the race I suppose, but I've never seen it say anywhere how many are allowed from each country. Most continental cups are pretty lax. Heck, many don't follow many of the ITU rules, such as uniform regulations for example (ie most Mexico & South America races). At the higher levels, race directors enforce more.

Ryan Borger - Denver, CO: Realtor. Former pro triathlete/coach. Cancer survivor. podiumproperties.com
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Athlete License Question [ahaberkorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can race outside the US without an elite license - but USAT isn't going to let just anyone looking to do it. You've got to be knocking on the door of getting it.

Ryan is right about rules being somewhat more lax in mex and south america, but racing with someone else's name on his suit was probably a bad call.

Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
You can race outside the US without an elite license - but USAT isn't going to let just anyone looking to do it. You've got to be knocking on the door of getting it.

Ryan is right about rules being somewhat more lax in mex and south america, but racing with someone else's name on his suit was probably a bad call.

I raced with "ER" on my suit, the last 2 letters of my last name. I used a sharpie to mark out the rest of the letters, which was my friends' last name. It was as close as I could get to my name, as I didn't own an ITU legal uniform so went with it :). Race director said any uniform was fine as long as it's the same one they take a photo of before the race starts. I've seen 2 piece suits, non-logo'd suits, non rear zip, etc.. all in non US continental cup races.

Quote Reply