Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Electronic Shifting - Di2 or ETap and Ovalized Chain-Rings
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on success of electronic shifting with either Di2 or eTap and the use of ovalized chain-rings such as Rotor Q-Rings?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic Shifting - Di2 or ETap and Ovalized Chain-Rings [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have zero experience with ovalized chainrings or with SRAM ETap, so take this with a grain of salt. But I've used Di2 from the very beginning. Given my experience, I think shifting with Di2 would be, if anything, better than with cable operated front derailleurs. Why? Because every shift is forceful and quick -- better than cable operated front derailleurs when shifting under power on steep climbs or in sprints. That's a guess, but an educated guess. If I wanted ovalized chainrings, I wouldn't hesitate to use them with Di2.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic Shifting - Di2 or ETap and Ovalized Chain-Rings [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using Di2 with Rotor QXL as well as Rotor inPower cranks with great success for the past 3 years. I wouldn't change a thing. Nothing to do with Di2, but as an added precaution I installed a chain catcher as well, more to protect the frame than anything.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Di2 with oval chainrings for 5 years now, not a single issue, never dropped a chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also using QXl chainrings with Di2 and works just fine. It did take me some effort to get it to shift right on my Tri bike though. But that is more related to the bike being older and designed around 10 speed. So I had to modify my braze on hanger to get it right. Basically had to grind of quite a bit of material off the bottom outside corner because the back plate of 11 speed front derailleurs (mechanical or Di2 Shimano) would butt up against it in the small chainring position.

On my road bike it was fine though with hanger clearance. You gotta make sure it is setup right with oval chainrings though otherwise it will over shift and fall on the outside of the big ring. For some reason it kept over shifting when trying to use the supplied QXl spacers on my bikes.
Last edited by: loxx0050: May 23, 19 16:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty good at working on my bikes but I could never get my qrings to shift right with etap. I've raced on hilly courses before with mechanical ultegra and never dropped a chain. With etap l
I would drop the chain shifting back to the big ring routinely, even on the trainer.
It always shifted perfectly on the stand. I got tired of jamming the chain in my frame and went back to round rings. My next build will be di2.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Rotor ALDHU Oval chainrings for Dura Ace 9100 with that di2 group as well and it shifts wonderfully.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic Shifting - Di2 or ETap and Ovalized Chain-Rings [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar story here. I just could not get eTap to work with absolute black oval rings. I tried myself several times, took it to a few bike shops, and eventually gave up and went back to round rings. I have no experience with Di2, but I’d still recommend it over eTap.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic Shifting - Di2 or ETap and Ovalized Chain-Rings [chewg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you try QX1 narrow-wide q rings? I haven’t used them yet but have this sitting in my closet for my next build
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use QXL rings on my tri bike with DI2 and it changes fine. I have standard rotor-q rings on my road bike with Etap and it works fine to but there is no way I would trust Etap with QXL rings. I love my Etap group on my road bike but the Sram front derailleur is a POS compared to the DI2 in terms of functionality and performance IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic Shifting - Di2 or ETap and Ovalized Chain-Rings [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not familiar with that product, but assuming there’s no front derailleur, I don’t see why there’s be a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
using rotor q-rings (normal not qxl) with etap for a few years now - all good
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic Shifting - Di2 or ETap and Ovalized Chain-Rings [chewg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chewg wrote:
Similar story here. I just could not get eTap to work with absolute black oval rings. I tried myself several times, took it to a few bike shops, and eventually gave up and went back to round rings. I have no experience with Di2, but I’d still recommend it over eTap.

Interesting. Running eTap with Absolute Black Oval 52 with absolutely (no pun intended) zero issues at all on my Canyon Aeroad. I'm running a round inner 36 FWIW. Very happy with the setup and love eTap.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic Shifting - Di2 or ETap and Ovalized Chain-Rings [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been running etap with q rings on a foil with no issues. Actually better shifting than the preceding red. However, no my plasma I get quite a few drops. So I guess it is bike specific.
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic Shifting - Di2 or ETap and Ovalized Chain-Rings [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting; I had the oval inner ring too, which probably didn’t help...
Quote Reply
Re: Electronic Shifting - Di2 or ETap and Ovalized Chain-Rings [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have zero experience with ovalized chainrings or with SRAM ETap, so take this with a grain of salt. But I've used Di2 from the very beginning. Given my experience, I think shifting with Di2 would be, if anything, better than with cable operated front derailleurs

Thank you. Oh yes - I'm well aware of the benefits of electronic shifting - particularly for time-trial and triathlon usage on TT/Tri bikes. I was specifically looking for more information on compatibility with ovalized chain-rings lke the Rotor Q-Rings.

As usual, some mechanics seem to know what they are talking about with this and others not so sure. I was told, that any type of eShifting was incompatible with the Q-Rings so, I just wanted to go out in the field and see what others had to say.

Thank you to others who chimed in to say it works well. Most appreciated.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply