Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Electrolytes do not help as much as you think
Quote | Reply
Basically the title of the CNN article.

https://www.cnn.com/...-wellness/index.html

I’d like to read the full study at some point but I’m sure it’s behind a pay wall now.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolytes do not help as much as you think [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like what Tim Noakes has been preaching for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be fair to the article their title says '... as much as you may think'. Its a form of click bait to tell me what I do or don't know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"In the past, athletes were told to make sure they're taking electrolyte supplements and drinking as much water as they can,"
---

How far back in the past do you have to go to find that advice? It seem like advice that went out of style more than 20 years ago.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like when people say their calves are cramping and they're taking electrolytes and it didn't help...so they took more electrolytes the next time...and it didn't help.

Or, when someone replies to a cramping calves post and saying they need more electrolytes. Wouldn't the other muscles doing most of the work cramp first if there was an electrolyte deficiency?
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolytes do not help as much as you think [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
"In the past, athletes were told to make sure they're taking electrolyte supplements and drinking as much water as they can,"
---

How far back in the past do you have to go to find that advice? It seem like advice that went out of style more than 20 years ago.

Yesterday?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what that article seems to say is we're not consuming enough electrolytes. I'm not surprised by that at all. That's why we're seeing higher concentration stuff...here's the problem, it tastes like crap!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All this article is saying is that most of the athletes don't know their sweat concentration and rates in those race conditions, so they aren't replacing in the right ratio, causing a sodium imbalance one way or the other. Most off the shelf sports drinks aren't concentrated enough for the average person and will dilute you and potentially lead to EAH.

Conclusion: work with a professional to get a sweat test and a plan that works for you.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolytes do not help as much as you think [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://sportsscientists.com/...onflict-of-interest/

Really great series on the topic, circa 2007.

https://www.theatlantic.com/...ports-drinks/260124/
"But it then makes the point that sports drinks do not preclude hyponatremia and that there was an article in The New England Journal of Medicine that found no correlation between hyponatremia and the type of fluid consumed" -2012

From Joe Friel, 2008
http://www.trainingbible.com/...exercise-part-2.html
"In other words, you don’t need to replace lost sodium during exercise because the loss is inconsequential while the volume of water lost is significant. But even if you did, the sodium content of most sports drinks is 10-25mmol/l, not enough to replace the loss (unless you overhydrate which raises the specter of hyponatremia - more on that shortly)."

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolytes do not help as much as you think [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrainerRoad podcast did a deep dive as well with the guy from Precision Hydration

https://blog.trainerroad.com/...g-coach-podcast-221/

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's astonishing how people still think cramping issues are electrolyte related. Nope... you're muscles are over-fatigued.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Article summary - drink when you’re thirsty, not in timed intervals.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolytes do not help as much as you think [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
It's astonishing how people still think cramping issues are electrolyte related. Nope... you're muscles are over-fatigued.

Tell the truth.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolytes do not help as much as you think [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:

"But I'll forget to drink!"
"My body doesn't know when it's thirsty!"

*eyeroll*
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolytes do not help as much as you think [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not replying to anyone in particular. This is well worn ground.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=2297723#p2297723

But, it was a bit heretical back then. I'm still not sure everyone accepts it as true.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 26, 20 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolytes do not help as much as you think [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=2297723#p2297723

But, it was a bit heretical back then. I'm still not sure everyone accepts it as true. //

Man o man, I had completely forgotten about that thread, it was one of the classics. We had all the giants in the sport there, Coggan, Noakes, Paulo, Frank Day, Molina, and lots of doctors/competitors in the field chime in. And what a war it was, just rereading it again was really fun. I even get in a few licks along with Slowman! And in reality, nothing has changed much, except Noakes has been a bit deflated since that time. What the thread did show though, that those that took a 100% view of the problem/situation, were only partially right. I believe we had already had 20 years of evidence that salt supplementation during races was absolutely beneficial to many athletes, and now we have another decade+ to add to that.

Thanks Tom for digging this old gem up, everyone who is even mildly interested in cramping, salt, and training long distance, should read the entire thread..
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolytes do not help as much as you think [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Thanks Tom for digging this old gem up, everyone who is even mildly interested in cramping, salt, and training long distance, should read the entire thread..

I like to comb the archives for anything posted by certain authors every now and again... Many of those manes you listed above. There is a shit ton to be learned by reading every post by coggan, or Noakes, or desert dude, Paolo, etc. I'll do a search for all content by XXX and just read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
plant_based wrote:

*eyeroll*

I don't get thirsty while competing. I'd get severely dehydrated if I waited until I was thirsty (and have done so). Maybe that's just me, though.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 26, 20 18:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

It's more complicated than that. Some people can drive themselves into oblivion and never cramp. Other people cramp very easily. This exists across fitness levels (training load prior) and performance levels (elite vs. just off the couch).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything from cnn is fake news!
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolytes do not help as much as you think [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bullshit. Everyone gets thirsty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Thirst is an imperfect signal. There are some good studies out there.

Somewhere between the Gatorade marketing science and Noakes there's a truth.

And everyone's an individual.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 26, 20 20:37
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolytes do not help as much as you think [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Thirst is an imperfect signal. There are some good studies out there.

Somewhere between the Gatorade marketing science and Noakes there's a truth.

And everyone's an individual.

A few things and I’ve just read the preliminary/abstract.

It appears that 11 out of 266 runners were recorded to have EAH (hyponatremia?) they appear to redefine that range to 135-145 compared to Noakes 10 years ago on this board (130-140) 4x that dehydrated.

About 80% were normal, or appeared to have a normal event within their abilities.

Of particular note is that these people are referred to as “elite” the range however is +/- 6 hours.

That’s like taking Jan Frodeno and the 17:59 finisher at Kona, lumping them (and everyone in between) all together and calling them elite.

Anyways, predominant indicators for the 11 EAH were body weight and self described training....and resultant very slow times, umm yeah if your walking for 10-18 hours you’re unlikely to need 2L per hour.

Don’t have full text but I’m ordering it later.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Electrolytes do not help as much as you think [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
That’s like taking Jan Frodeno and the 17:59 finisher at Kona, lumping them (and everyone in between) all together and calling them elite.

I look around my office and see noone that could exercise for an hour non-stop.
If you can finish within the time limit (16:59 would be the last finisher actually) you really are in an elite % of the human race.
Most people get winded going up a flight of stairs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
plant_based wrote:

*eyeroll*
Are you using a new alter ego Lionel?
Quote Reply

Prev Next