Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Electrical/Bike computer Q
Quote | Reply
Let me first say I am no Electrician.

I have a Cateye Astrale8 (wired cadence and speed) and want to run the wires internally, so with a quick cut it was fairly easy to fish it through the frame.
Now here is my question: I thought I would be able to just splice the cables back together (and I have) but I don't seem to be getting any readings.
I tested my splicing abilities on an old bike computer I had lying around and everything was fine.
The only difference between the computers was the type of wires.
The Astrale seems to have smaller (copper??? again I am no electrician) wires, do I need some sort of special connections when splicing the copper wires?

Thanks
Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Electrical/Bike computer Q [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you may be SOL. I've never had luck splicing those wires. They run at such a low current that the resistance in the splice is often enough to kill the system. You may get it back up and running again by soldering the connection, but you're going to have to have some skills to pull it off.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: Electrical/Bike computer Q [vortmax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I seem to remember that is what Rappstar did when hid his SRM wires.
The problem with soldering is the connections are buried (or at least can't see an easy way to get at the connections) under plastic.

Well I guess it just might be a 36$ life lesson :-)

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Re: Electrical/Bike computer Q [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did some quick research. According to what I found, the wires can be spliced, but you have to prep them. Apparently one of the wires contains a fiber material that has to be removed or you won't get a solid connection. The suggestion there was to strip the insulation then burn the fibers off with a quick hit from a lighter. I imagine if you prepped the wire ends with them off the bike and tinned them with some solder, you'd have a better chance of making a good splice. You will still have to worry about insulation and weatherproofing, but you can probably get some heat shrink tube in there.

If all else fails, I think you can buy just the mounting kit (with whole wires) for $15 from your LBS...although they may need to order it. There is a long wire kit available too, which if you're brave enough to cut wires again, might give you enough slack to make the splice in a more convenient location.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: Electrical/Bike computer Q [vortmax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
There is a fiberous material in there (I tried to keep it out of the way but I must have been un-successful)

I will give that a shot. Now I have a weekend project (cause I can't get out on the roads, supposed to snow here again F*&( !!!!!!!!)

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply