Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Electric Transition Pump Recommendations
Quote | Reply
I am probably about to buy a little USB rechargeable pump for travel races. The two I have seen are the Fumpa and Cycplus. There really are not many threads here, and the ones I found are a couple years old. Does anyone have either of these, or something else they love. The Cycplus is $50, and the Fumpa is $200. I am not opposed to the Fumpa if it is really awesome and worth 4x more than the Cycplus. But, it seems like that Cycplus perfectly checks all the boxes for a transition pump.

These are my requirements:
  • Must work with disc wheels. It looks like the Fumpa does, but I am unsure about the Cycplus.
  • Must work with removable core valve extenders. I saw one comment that the Cycplus does not work with "tube type" extenders. Not sure what that means, but I think I am OK with removable core extenders.
  • Must have a reasonably precise pressure gauge. I am not looking for perfection, and precision is more important than accuracy. I have a very accurate external gauge I can use to validate the readings, if I need to.
  • Must be able to fully inflate the night before check-in.
  • Only needs to top-off the morning of the race

The two I am interested in:
https://www.amazon.com/...tables/dp/B0798RZMHJ
https://www.fumpapumps.com/shop/fumpa/
Quote Reply
Re: Electric Transition Pump Recommendations [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Cycplus has a new version of that pump out and it is here. I do have the one you have listed and it would be a totally suitable pump for transition with one caveat. That caveat is that I use it with the SILCA Hiro head or another head, but I have Silca and I like it. I gave the Cycplus the feedback that they should have a separate hose for Presta valves as I don't like messing around with adapters. But it is actually nice for anyone that travels with your bike and don't want to lug around a pump.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Aug 19, 19 16:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this one and I'm happy with it: https://www.amazon.com/...dExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It's powerful with a decent battery capacity and has an accurate gauge when compared to a known accurate analog gauge.

I also have this smaller one for traveling to races: https://www.amazon.com/...VBBT2KXXPQ74E7EJ74XJ

It too has an accurate gauge. However, it only has half the battery capacity as the aforementioned one above and thus the battery doesn't last very long, maybe 6-7 top-offs for latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Electric Transition Pump Recommendations [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting, and nice price.

Any input on how it does towards the high end of pressure? (says the max is 150) Enough power to get it done on two tires?

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
So Cycplus has a new version of that pump out and it is here. I do have the one you have listed and it would be a totally suitable pump for transition with one caveat. That caveat is that I use it with the SILCA Hiro head
Thanks a ton. I actually just saw your review on Amazon too... I have the Hiro also and absolutely love that.

Your link doesn't work, so I could not tell what that new version is. The only one I found is what I linked above, and Cycplus' website didn't seem to have anything else either. If I get that one, I may try to find a short hose that just has a threaded end that would accept the Hiro head directly.
Quote Reply
Re: Electric Transition Pump Recommendations [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
interesting, and nice price.

Any input on how it does towards the high end of pressure? (says the max is 150) Enough power to get it done on two tires?

I haven't tested max pressure. What are your pumping? I only took to about 100 psi. It can handle a couple 25mm tires at that for sure and the unit did get a bit warm in the process.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
So Cycplus has a new version of that pump out and it is here. I do have the one you have listed and it would be a totally suitable pump for transition with one caveat. That caveat is that I use it with the SILCA Hiro head
Thanks a ton. I actually just saw your review on Amazon too... I have the Hiro also and absolutely love that.

Your link doesn't work, so I could not tell what that new version is. The only one I found is what I linked above, and Cycplus' website didn't seem to have anything else either. If I get that one, I may try to find a short hose that just has a threaded end that would accept the Hiro head directly.

Sorry about that. I fixed the link above. It is also here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll 2nd the use of the Silva Hiro Head with an electronic pump.

I went with the Autder 3000 mAmp.

Great for traveling (easier to pack when traveling) ... but good to check the gauge.

Used it in transition at IMMT and seemed to take longer to reach pressure - not sure if it was due to humidity.

Not great at reaching high pressure ... but I’m pressurizing to ~90 PSI typically and it works well for that. I’ve only had it for about 2 weeks ... so still weighing whether or not it will be my regular travel pump.
Last edited by: Jmercer: Aug 19, 19 17:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
That caveat is that I use it with the SILCA Hiro head or another head, but I have Silca and I like it..

Thomas, is changing the head a simple task? As in just inserting the new head into the hose like it is when using a regular track pump?

Cheers!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
would fit conveniently in a track bag if it would reach some high"ish" pressures. Most outdoor tracks don't need above 100 or so, but would be nice if it'd get to 140-50 if needed for indoor.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Fumpa and like it a lot. Everything works perfectly for me with the exception of the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+ 1 for the Cyplus. I have the original version from early 2018, and it is still running great. I have taken it to over a dozen races, and use it as my go to travel pump.

What I like-
- very accurate gauge. I tested it several times with my Topeak manual gauge and it always was within 1 PSI
- you can preset to whatever pressure you want to inflate to- it pumps to that and shuts itself off
- it is bigger than the fumpa (I also have one of these), but much easier to use, and still plenty small. It fits very nicely in a bottle cage
- it is MUCH quieter than the fumpa
- it can pump much longer than a fumpa, and does not get anywhere nearly as hot
- it has proven to be very durable
- great price
What I don’t like
- As Thomas noted, it would be nice if they provided a hose for direct connection to presta, however their adapter works very well, and I only use extenders that work with removable valve cores anyway, as they make life so much easier.
- A lot of people in T1 want to use it! I have to put it away quickly or I will never get ready for MY race :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips. I bought a Cycplus pump, tested it with my setup (including HIRO head), and it worked great. PSI was a little high, but I don't care because I have an external gauge anyway. I ordered a hose also, thinking I might be able to do a direct connection to my HIRO, but no joy. The thread in the pump is not the same as a typical fine-threaded pump hose.

Now, if I can only figure out what that pump thread is and then find a hose that could work as a direct connection to the HIRO...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you just put the Silca tread-on schrader valve on the end of the existing hose?
Quote Reply
Re: Electric Transition Pump Recommendations [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Schrader head is permanently attached to the hose, so there is no way to unscrew it and thread on a HIRO or other attachment. But, you can use the HIRO clamped into the Schrader head as an adapter. That works fine, it is just not as elegant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just cut off the existing schrader head and replace it with the Silca thread on one. I think that is how the Silca pumps come. The only trick would be to find a nice looking clamp for the Silca schrader head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had two of the Cycplus, neither were accurate in pressure readings, they were always ~10psi off... I, personally, would not take them to a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Electric Transition Pump Recommendations [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrunkIrishman wrote:
I've had two of the Cycplus, neither were accurate in pressure readings, they were always ~10psi off... I, personally, would not take them to a race.

Were they consistently off by the same amount? Or was it random?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrunkIrishman wrote:
What would you take instead? The criteria are air travel to the race and I do not want to pack a floor pump.

I had no illusion that the pressure gauge would be accurate; I only care if it is directionally correct. My first test, it was about 8 PSI high. I will test again with a lower set point and see how close I get to my target pressure. I will confirm pressure anyway with my external gauge, so as long as the pump can reach my target pressure, I am happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They both were between 10-15psi low pretty regularly... I still use them whenever inflating to "close enough" is satisfactory, but I normally have a floor pump near by in those cases... But I won't use them on race morning, it makes me too nervous not knowing what the exact psi I've inflated the tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
DrunkIrishman wrote:
What would you take instead? The criteria are air travel to the race and I do not want to pack a floor pump.

I had no illusion that the pressure gauge would be accurate; I only care if it is directionally correct. My first test, it was about 8 PSI high. I will test again with a lower set point and see how close I get to my target pressure. I will confirm pressure anyway with my external gauge, so as long as the pump can reach my target pressure, I am happy.

I have no suggestions... I either lug the floor pump, or beg my neighbor to use theirs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t you lose some psi anyway when removing the pump head AND putting in the gauge to check.

-shoki
Quote Reply