Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Effective Seat Angle Measurement?
Quote | Reply
So I was just playing around with a tape measure and a calculator on the weekend, resurrecting some of my high school trig, and trying to figure out my effective seat angle.

I ride a 57cm Colnago with standard road geometry (73deg), with standard road bars and Profile Carbon-X clip-ons. The seat is slightly forward on the rails (certainly forward of the middle) which, as I understand it, would give me an effective seat angle of greater than 73deg.

So how do I find out just what that seat angle is? I thought of measuring the vertical distance to ground from the top middle of the saddle, then the distance from the same spot on the saddle through the pedal axle to the ground. This would give me two sides of a right angle triangle, so I could then use the sin rule to calculate the angle, right?

Problem was, when I did the calculation, I came up with an angle of over 85deg, and I KNOW that this is wrong.

Any help?
Quote Reply
Re: Effective Seat Angle Measurement? [Oz Tri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Oz Tri-guy, I'll try to help you.

To calculate the effective seat angle, you must first determine where you sit on your saddle. In general, it's around 12-15 cm from the nose but it depends on your position.

Then you measure the horizontal distance (saddle fore and aft) between the saddle nose and your BB, you add this distance to the last measurement.

You have just to divide that sum by your saddle height and take the arcosinus.

For example :

Fore and aft = 5 cm
Saddle height = 75 cm
Arcos ((5+15)/75)=74,5°

HTH

PS : this subject has already been discussed, you can probably find other thread about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Effective Seat Angle Measurement? [Oz Tri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you came up with a 85° angle because you forgot to add the distance between your saddle nose and where you sit on it.
Quote Reply