Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Eco-friendly triathlon training
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if anyone has a serious interest in reducing the environmental impact of their triathlon training? For example:
Choosing eco-friendly kit
Repurposing/recycling old kit/gear
Reducing waste
Making changes to your diet

It's something I've been thinking a bit about and wanted to see if anyone else had a similar interest.
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [jamie.pocock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biggest change you can do is bike to all your workouts. I see so many people drive 4 miles for a bike workout. Wtf. Also to make life easier and less wasteful I use Tannus solid tires on my training bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Biggest change you can do is bike to all your workouts. I see so many people drive 4 miles for a bike workout. Wtf. Also to make life easier and less wasteful I use Tannus solid tires on my training bikes

BINGO. That and how about just racing locally? I saw a study that shows flying is significantly more problematic for the climate that driving (obviously it depends on how much you're driving)

But I also agree that changing your diet to plant-based is huge as well because that's three times a day (or more if you're a triathlete) you can decide not add as much to the climate problem
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(Mostly) plant based diet, yes!

Don’t use disposable products..

All tri related manufactures could use MUCh less packaging...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
synthetic wrote:

BINGO. That and how about just racing locally? I saw a study that shows flying is significantly more problematic for the climate that driving (obviously it depends on how much you're driving)

But I also agree that changing your diet to plant-based is huge as well because that's three times a day (or more if you're a triathlete) you can decide not add as much to the climate problem

*Insert image of captain Kirk putting his hand on forehead*

Most bananas come from half way around the world tropical regions on container ships doing .0001 mpg for 1000+ miles. Meanwhile I am getting cow meat/milk 20-300 miles away on a truck doing 8mpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
cestmoi wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Most bananas come from half way around the world tropical regions on container ships doing .0001 mpg for 1000+ miles. Meanwhile I am getting cow meat/milk 20-300 miles away on a truck doing 8mpg

You need to look at it gallons per lb transported...the container ship carries just a bit more cargo than a semi ;).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
cestmoi wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Lifecycle emissions from food are unfortunately not so intuitive... see:

http://www.fao.org/3/a-i6842e.pdf

vs

http://www.fao.org/3/k7930e/k7930e00.pdf

The total carbon footprint of banana production (~500 g CO2e/kg banana) is several times lower than that of dairy production (~2 kg CO2e/kg milk) -- and although clearly dairy is a higher-quality energy source for those who need protein, bananas are ~50% more calories per kg than milk.

Dairy production's footprint is overwhelmingly dominated by production before the milk leaves the farm. Banana production's footprint is 2/3 on transport. So you're right that on transport, your local dairy has bananas beat. But the environmental consequences would weigh in favor of bananas (per calorie) even if you could drop the transport emissions from dairy to zero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Hmm, let's do some back-of-the envelope estimates here:

Replace 4 miles driving with cycling, say 4x/week and both ways. That's 1600 miles/year less driving, say 50 gallons less gasoline burned and thus ~500 kg CO2 less emitted.

Change diet from "average" to "no beef" cuts from 2500 to 1900 kg CO2e/year, so ~600 kg CO2e less emitted -- for a diet at 2600 kcal/day (http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/...arbon-footprint-diet). Scale this up by 50% for a triathlete and you get ~900 kg CO2e less emitted.

Replace 2 triathlons with flights with local races you drive to. Say that's 1000 miles flying each way, so 4000 miles total. Let's use 0.2 kg CO2e/passenger mile (https://carbonfund.org/calculation-methods/) to get ~800 kg CO2 less emitted from cutting those flights (less however much more you emit by driving).

Interestingly, they're all of similar impact, from an order-of-magnitude perspective. Diet changes might have a bit more leverage because you can be more extreme in moving to low-carbon foods, and once you cut out extraneous driving for training and flying to races it's clearly of top importance.
Last edited by: twcronin: Mar 4, 20 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding to the list for training itself. Minimizing energy use during training time seems like it's also valuable but of second-order importance to diet and car/plane travel.

Run outside instead of on a treadmill. If you run on average a half hour a day at, using a treadmill a 600 W means ~110 kWh/year and based on US average electricity mix (again https://carbonfund.org/calculation-methods/), this is ~50 kg CO2/year that can be eliminated.

Cycling outside rather than in air-conditioning on a trainer. A window AC unit that will offset waste heat from cycling has similar power consumption to a treadmill (~600 W), and more time per year cycling than running for most triathletes, so say ~75 kg CO2/year that can be cut out (if you bike 100% indoors in AC).

Swimming... a Vasa is probably more eco-friendly than a heated swimming pool, but getting started with breaking that down is tricky...

Shower less frequently and/or shorter. 12 minutes in the shower is ~1 kg CO2.

My gut sense would be that gear (eco-friendly kit, packaging for everything) is a small fraction of these recurring energy costs -- but happy to be proven wrong!
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

You need to look at it gallons per lb transported...the container ship carries just a bit more cargo than a semi ;).

After boat, the bananas get shipped to stores via semi 20-300 mi away. Also many other vegan foods are fossil fuel intensive as farming is not year round. Red Delicious apples come from Argentina during off season.

The biggest thing you can do rather than removing local meat from your diet is eat season specific, local foods. Fossil fuels are the biggest pollutant which vegan religion pushers don't want to admit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not taking into account the massive amount of energy and toll on the environment it takes to feed that cow and get it ready for market.

To produce 1 lb of beef, It takes: 2,500 gallons of clean water (likely processed), 12 pounds of cultivated grain (requiring 35 pounds of fertilized topsoil) and the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline to process.

And just for comparison, ocean shipping is 10x more fuel efficient than shipping by road. In fact, it's the most fuel efficient way to move things. Well, except biking of course :)
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [nycbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nycbiker wrote:
You're not taking into account the massive amount of energy and toll on the environment it takes to feed that cow and get it ready for market.

To produce 1 lb of beef, It takes: 2,500 gallons of clean water (likely processed), 12 pounds of cultivated grain (requiring 35 pounds of fertilized topsoil) and the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline to process.

And just for comparison, ocean shipping is 10x more fuel efficient than shipping by road. In fact, it's the most fuel efficient way to move things. Well, except biking of course :)

Take into account the rain forests cut down for palm oil, vast fields for canola and soy (mainly for human consumption).. etc meat is wrong target, big AG should be.

How many of you do grocery by bike instead of car? I do...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is hard, and everyone's situation is a bit different, but try and do as much training as you can from your front door of your house. I've ALWAYS been really lucky and perhaps a bit savvy with the choices of where I lived - I've had great running and cycling, right from my front door of where ever I live.

Swimming is a bit different, but even there, when I lived in Vancouver, I lived about 1K from the famous Kitsilano pool and I would either run over for swim workouts, or bike over. Typical lunch-time swim session would be - run 1K over to pool, swim 3K, get out, run 1K home!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do as much as possible from the front door. It’s a bit far for me to ride to swim practice in the time I have available, so I drive there, but I’ll ride to the local OW venue. Runs and rides are almost all from the front door.

Carpool to races when possible (joining the tri club is helpful here).

Support local races or race in destinations that you’d be visiting anyway.

Refrain from “upgraditis”. I don’t really go for gadgets, and I try to get my gear to last.

I still repair training tubes when possible.

Eco friendly packaging, and try to avoid stuff that comes in a pouch or wrapper as much as possible.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^
Buying bulk nutrition could help there too. A large jug of nutrition and a reusable gel flask vs tons of packages. To that end, buying powdered nutrition and mixing yourself would cut down on the energy needed to essentially ship water around.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

If you do that 100% of the time, that is impressive. How many kids do you have? Of course, doing this in SoCal is a bit different than doing this in MN in january.

Regarding "eating local", you might find this interesting. As always, knowledge is power.
https://www.vice.com/...nge-carbon-footprint

Interesting chart in the report as well:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 4, 20 14:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this guy makes toast from bike power

pretty eco

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, this is something I have an interest in, especially since I don't have a lot of gear
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jamie.
I try, yes. I re-home as much of my gear as possible. I always buy second-hand bike, wheels, watches, etc. There are only a few types of gear that I don't know how to recycle or re-use.

Kits: Donate to youth or college teams if there's still life in them. If not, cut up to make tie-downs and use when packing my bike to ship or travel.
Bikes and wheels: Sell or donate
Tubes: Repair and re-use for training. If too far gone, make a doormat or bag (I'm crafty like that)
Wetsuits: Donate, or cut up and uses pieces as padding, potholders, etc.

I also try to race local and support local race directors. I bring my own water/bottles to races to avoid disposable ones. I usually do not take the medal.

Some stuff I don't know what to do with: Swim goggles and bike helmets.

There are some races that are trying hard to recycle and use compostable products - I'm always happy to see that.

It's small stuff, sure, but it make me feel a little better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

I haven't owned a vehicle in 20 years...………..and I'm not even an Eco-Warrior. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
this guy makes toast from bike power

pretty eco

I get so hot on my trainer that I can heat the whole house while Zwifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should just connect your Zwift to the entire house power and power the whole house. I know you have it in you.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Mar 5, 20 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DIY rice cakes/bars for training with reusable packaging
Some additional plant based meals
Bike share to and from the pool
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [BevK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
´Dont get kids, unless you adopt them.
Quote Reply
Re: Eco-friendly triathlon training [AS88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for reusing gear. All of it is made in China which has its eco disaster now. But tri geeks are worst, looking to buy latest tech
Quote Reply

Prev Next