Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Eat back calories burned?
Quote | Reply
I am using Loseit to track calories in order to lose some weight. When I put in calories burned after a workout, it gives me that exact number of extra calories to consume. I always assumed that to lose 1-2 lbs per week, you should only ā€œeat backā€ half of the calories burned in order to maintain a calorie deficit.

My daily limit to reach my goal weight in eight weeks is about 1700 calories per day. Today I burned about 1000 after my ride. But it seems like consuming 2700 calories in one day is not the way to drop weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Eat back calories burned? [Pieman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The app is correct.

You're base calories should already take into account the deficit. (ie. you would normally need 2200 calories to maintain your weight, but to lose ~1lb/week your base calories would be 1700) If you burn 1000 calories with exercise, then you should increase your total intake for that day by 1000.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:
I am using Loseit to track calories in order to lose some weight. When I put in calories burned after a workout, it gives me that exact number of extra calories to consume. I always assumed that to lose 1-2 lbs per week, you should only ā€œeat backā€ half of the calories burned in order to maintain a calorie deficit.

My daily limit to reach my goal weight in eight weeks is about 1700 calories per day. Today I burned about 1000 after my ride. But it seems like consuming 2700 calories in one day is not the way to drop weight.

If the 1700 base calculation is correct for the target weight loss, then yes you can eat the full 1000 that you burned and still lose weight.

It might seem extravagant, but it's not. Try going without that 1000 for 2-3 days in a row, and you'll literally be thinking about food nonstop, all day long since you'll be in such a deficit.

The real challenge is that when you start replacing those missing 1000 calories + base calories, is making yourself STOP EATING at the calculated number. It's not that hard once, mildly hard for a week, but surprisingly challenging to do consistently for a month!
Last edited by: lightheir: Apr 17, 21 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I don't use the app you mentioned I know that my daily limit is about 1500 calories to lose 1 lb every two weeks.

If I don't eat then I'll be weak the next day and won't be able to complete workouts as planned.
Quote Reply
Re: Eat back calories burned? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

If the 1700 base calculation is correct for the target weight loss, then yes you can eat the full 1000 that you burned and still lose weight.

To a degree. The body is an amazing thing.

I also use LoseIt, and it was bang-on from about 175lb. to 163lb. Then at 163lb I plateaued. So I kept ratcheting down the base calories. Still a plateau. After several weeks of ratcheting down I realized I was walking around in my 75-degree house bundled up in fleece. My metabolic rate was just cratered - though my workout performances were still pretty solid.

Though this was around ~10% bodyfat for a 47 y.o. male, so I'm calling it my physiological "floor" for maintainable weight. I've actually gone up to 166 just to be a little happier (and warmer).

So my n=1 is that base metabolic rate can vary a ton. I believe this is corroborated by some recent research that suggests the body can adapt pretty darn quickly to calorie restriction, so you have to be careful using static numbers.

Edit: I realize this answers a different question than the OP was asking...just pointing it out.

Last edited by: trail: Apr 17, 21 13:52
Quote Reply