Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Easy to change wheels and tires for the arthritic.
Quote | Reply
Today, the final humiliation. Three flats, in three weeks, and I could not get the tire off the rim. The screaming pain in my thumbs is incredible. Had the left hip done last year, the right is demanding equal opportunity. What is out there that can keep me moderately competitive? An while were at it, wetsuits. I'm tired of giving 30second bonuses because my thumbs give me the strength of The Simpsons" Mr. Burns.
Quote Reply
Re: Easy to change wheels and tires for the arthritic. [ozseppo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zipps are the easiest wheels out there. cut your arms and legs up a bit on your wetsuit.
I had zipp wheels and sworks tires and i felt like they almost fell off the wheel. i even had to be careful filling them up to make sure they stayed seated
Last edited by: Cookiebuilder: Apr 12, 18 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: Easy to change wheels and tires for the arthritic. [ozseppo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a few dedicated tools that improve on the basic tire lever.

The Quick Stik braces at the hub/axle and zips around the rim to dismount he tire. I watched a neutral service mech change a tube in less than a minute during a race and was impressed.

I got a tool called the Pedro’s Tire Jack that is effective mounting and unmounting tires. On carbon wheels with tubeless tires, I struggle to mount a new tire without tools - and I’m reluctant to use a standard lever to pry on expensive, thin rims. The jack uses the opposite rim to create leverage to mount a tire with a ‘safer’ feeling approach.

Neither are particularly small, but could fit in a Tool roll, Jersey pocket or maybe a large saddle bag.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What "TriDevilDog" said. I've got a Kool Stop Bead Jack as I've had issues mounting a tire on the wide rims (HED Jet +) and can't do it by hand (too scared to damage the non-structural carbon fairings so can't seem to get enough leverage). Other tires/wheels I've been able to install by hand though. People have stated they buy a spare one and cutoff the handle to shorten it in order to carry it with their emergency kit.

Admittedly I'll just use tire levers to remove the tires (it is just easier and faster). Maybe the look into the Crank Brothers speedier tire lever for removal too. Looks like that can be used to both remove and install tires quickly (but I don't think I'd trust it for latex tubes installation though with this tool).

I'd rather carry a few extra tools than save weight and not be able to change a flat quickly.
Quote Reply