Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Easton Attack Aerobars (impressions)
Quote | Reply
Well. I'm tied of waiting for the Vision Tech intergrated Tri Max Carbons...so am considering the Easton Aerobars. Anyone have any thoughts? Has the lack of extention adjustability (it comes in Medium and Large) been an issue for anyone. Has the lack of fore/aft adjustability on the pads created any probles for proper fit? I did notice that Team Phonak is using the bars on there TT bikes.

John Bogdanski
Quote Reply
Re: Easton Attack Aerobars (impressions) [JohnKarol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My impressions from Interbike, not from riding them: manufacturing quality looks very, very nice, but IMO several major issues. Good luck using the 'tops' when you feel like cruising or sitting up and climbing as they are almost completely blocked by the support structure for the elbow pads. Also the extensions are completely straight with sharp 45 deg. 'upturns' at the end (very similar in shape to the extensions on Syntace streamliner bars)--and that shape is not my personal preference. Finally, the retail cost is astronomincal--I think about $700.00 . FYI, one of the sponsors of Team Phonak is Easton who make/distribute these bars, so I suspect those riders will use what they are paid to use.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Easton Attack Aerobars (impressions) [Greg/ORD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Tyler is already modifying his?
Quote Reply
Re: Easton Attack Aerobars (impressions) [paul cusick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how so?

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
so am considering the Easton Aerobars. Anyone have any thoughts? Has the lack of fore/aft adjustability on the pads created any probles for proper fit? I did notice that Team Phonak is using the bars on there TT bikes.
Tom D rode a set in NZ and absolutely loved them according to a previous post - adjustment of fore / aft on the pads can be accomodated in my opinion by adjusting your stem length - with regards to cost well pick them up less 20% on the annual Trisports.com sale. One of the things I really like is the grip - moulds to meet your fingers - would love an alternate to yellow however. Just bought their Aero Fork for my P3 - will keep all updated...

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: Easton Attack Aerobars (impressions) [Young_Ironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the pads and risers are gone. He appears to have wrapped electrical tape around some foam padding to act as armrests?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just traded email with Easton and they say the colors will include black and red with grey later on - as opposed to the current yellow only

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: Easton Attack Aerobars (impressions) [paul cusick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You gotta wonder about those designers. They make a $700.00 (!!) aerobar and one of the best cyclists riding the roads today has to make an incredible mod like that! What ARE those Easton folks thinkin'?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As another poster mentioned, I have about 1100 and maybe substantially more miles on these and two races (RBTT/Fatum Bank Triathlonfest, Curacao and IMNZ).

I rate these bars as extremely good. Now, why is that?

Well, first off, the Medium size happens to fit me perfectly. That's good, becasue there is little room for adjustment save the pad width and using a different stem.

I will argue that is plenty adjustment. I got mine wheere they need to be and they feel not good, but fantastic. I loved them at Ironman. And yes, you better believe, I DO sell them!

Now, this matter with Tyler's bike and the electrical tape? Well, who knows? That could be anything from the pads coming off the bike on the roof rack on the way to the stage (never give team mechanics too much credit, they are human too) to Tyler saying, at the last minute, "Can't you get these pads a little lower please?" So the mechanic pulls this solution out of his butt not realizing it will wind up all over the Internet and cast some aspirtions on the sponsors product.

Hey, anything is possible.

If you are the kind of guy who's favorite tool is a hack saw and you want to shorten this and cut that on your aerobars I don;t recommend the Easton Attack bars. That is what Hed bars are for. You should see what we did with the Hed bars on the "Bjorn" P3 we built. We wore out three hacksaw blades on that bike.

If you are going to take the bars out of the box, carefully read the instructions for installation and assembly and then install them on your bike in compliance with those instructions- I bet you will love them. I do.

The Hed bars and the Easton bars are very different products for different applications and users in my opinion based on quite a bit of work with both using myself and quite a number of customers.

As for the Visiontech bars? 2005 anyone? Realistically, in terms of making a big impact this season- they have just missed the boat. This thread is one of (many) comments I hear that confirms it. -That's not to say they will make waves at Hawaii this year (October) or in '05. But for most retailers and consumers, FSA/Visiontech has lost a lot of selling opportunity in '04.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Easton Attack Aerobars (impressions) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"...FSA/Visiontech has lost a lot of selling opportunity in '04."

I would agree, and it isn't just aerobar sales that they have missed. The theme of the current Bicycle Retailer magazine is "Made in America". Throughout the issue they have the domestic manufacturers pointing out that making your crap in Asia has lot of problems and isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Bottom Line: It doesn't matter how cheap your product is if you can't get it to market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to use the Easton bars on the Blade I am building. Using the size guidelines on the pdf from Easton's website the medium would be too small. I must be a little closer to the apes on the evolutionary chain, my forearms measured 41cm+. With the guys at the LBS, I compared the measurements to my Profile bars, and it seems that the Attack Bar pads would be much closer to my hands. That isn't a dimension that could be fixed with a different length stem.

Tom, do you know if they plan to make a "large?"

David
Quote Reply
Re: Easton Attack Aerobars (impressions) [glider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, 41 cm is fairly lonf for a forearm. I'm used to seeing 35 cm to about 38 cm commonly.

I'm not certain if Easton plans to build a size large. We have had a lot of success selling these bars despite the price- the quality is there, even with the brake lever hassles (most pairs shipped with two lefts or two rights).

It would seem that if they are selling well a size large might be in the works for next year.

I find Visiontach alloy bars, which do still seem to be available, tend to run large if that helps.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which model Visiontech? Tri Max, Pro, Super Max, or Aero? They all seem to come in a large size that should work with my ape-like forearms.

David
Quote Reply