Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Easier to build or buy a 1x set up?
Quote | Reply
After IMTX this weekend I plan on selling my road bike and getting a dedicated tri bike. Since it was my first year in triathlon, I bought the roadie (2017 BMC Teammachine SL02) thinking it would be good for groups and races. After 8 months with the bike I’ve found I’ve done more triathlon races than I have roadie group rides.

I’d like to get a 1x set up, but finding complete bikes for sale has been scant to none, and none in my price range ($1,200-1,800).

Do people just love their 1x so much they never part with them, or do they modify them to a 2x set up prior to sale?

Is it going to be easier to build a 1x on an old frame set than it will be to buy one?
Quote Reply
Re: Easier to build or buy a 1x set up? [Triathletesq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a 1x setup all you need a narrow-wide chain ring so its an ~$80 modification plus a couple of minutes of elbow grease (https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/chainrings). So realistically it should be the last thing you should prioritise when buying a bike as you can change it so easily.

In most case 1x conversations are done without grinding off the front derailleur tab and people even leave the front mech shifter in the bars so it doesn't look funny. This means it can always a chance to swapped it back and sold as a 2x or 1x bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Easier to build or buy a 1x set up? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not so.
I use regular rings on my 1x setup.
But you do have to get the chainline and tension right
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Focus on finding a bike with a frame that fits you well and aerobars that are adjustable. It sounds like this will be your first tri bike so you want some adjustability as your position may change over time.

As other mention, the swap to a 1x setup up can be as simple as removing the front derailleur / small chain ring and making sure the chain is sized appropriately. Depending on your preference/level of comfort, you may also want a narrow-wide chainring and/or a clutch type rear derailleur for added chain retention but all of this is easy enough to do and relatively inexpensive.

Good luck at IMTX!
Quote Reply
Re: Easier to build or buy a 1x set up? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. The big issue is my budget; I’d prefer to not buy a 2x and then pay more to convert if I can get more bang for the buck from buying or building a 1x from the jump.

When people sell, do they revert back to a 2x before sale?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For you price range, but used and leave some $ left over to make the conversion. If you keep an eye on thr classifieds here you can find some great deals.

Most people outside of ST couldn't care less about 1x and would see it as a disadvantage.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Easier to build or buy a 1x set up? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy a 2x, then covert to a 1x. I run a 1x on my bike since there are not a lot of hills where I live, however, there were a few ironman races that are super hilly I needed the smaller ring. I was glad I had the other rings ready to go instead of having to go out and buy new rings... A 5? Sram X sync ring is not terribly expensive.
Quote Reply