Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Early, but let's hear it: kona predictions
Quote | Reply
Ok
Last year we had the two fastest times ever run in Kona. What are your predictions for this year? My opinion? too close to call.

I put 50/50 on it being sub 8. The talent is amazing, the level of motivation is beyond anything I've ever seen...

Frodo? The lion? An unknown?

My personal prediction? 7:58:43 Frodo
Sanders: 7:59:45 after a meltdown on the run
Quote Reply
Re: Early, but let's hear it: kona predictions [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“What’s your prediction for the match?”

“Pain”

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lucy Charles for the win.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, but let's hear it: kona predictions [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe Cam Wurf is a Clubber Lang fan.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I think that could happen:

1) Frodo, no merci, he run not only to win but to overperform that he is the best
2) Lange, solid bike, could run to wait an explosion of Frodo
3) Gomez Noya, not enough good performance in bike segment not enough experience in Ironman Kona "tactical", he has not the need to win his first year... but he could win if Frodo explodes... and Lange make some mistakes in the bike segment

4) Sanders, in my opinion, will run to win, that means that he is more likely to explode, if not he may be top3... or even win??
5) Kienle is one step backwards... but with many options to be top3.. he is very solid. He should race to be top3, not to win.

I cannot guess about others.. but what about Currie? He ran awesome when he won Gomez Noya in Asia-Pacific Champs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Men: Jan Frodeno

Women: Daniela Ryf

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, but let's hear it: kona predictions [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frodo will bounce back and win this one. Looking forward to seein Wurf blowing off the front a bit harder this year, he can get out of the swim main pack and if that happens watch out.

Women’s Rhyf home comfortably, race for 2nd will be very interesting, not sure it will be Charles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona is all about the conditions. If it is a hot, windy day Kienle will win and it will not be sub 8. If the winds don't get up its anyone's guess who will come out on top, but still doubt it will be sub 8. Daniela will run away with the women's race and will probably finish top 10 in the field.
Last edited by: arby: Aug 21, 18 4:53
Quote Reply
Re: Early, but let's hear it: kona predictions [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that this year would be a tactical race... like a poker game.

If Frodeno doesn't show that he is hard enough with a strong bike, he could have to many challengers fasters in the marathon (Lange, Sander, Noya...), and he may try to start faster the marathon to avoid any alternative.

If Sanders/Lange arrives at the time with Frodo to T2... it could be an Epic marathon!

I don't forget Kienle, who has to decide if he has more opportunities with a hard bike segment, or to be more conservative.

I am from Spain, I would like to see Javi (Gomez Noya) not too far away into T2 with an Epic chasing marathon....

And as you said, Kona is not only the course, it is also the climatic conditions on the race day!
Quote Reply
Re: Early, but let's hear it: kona predictions [ivantriker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Men: Frodeno

Women: Ashley Horner
Quote Reply
Re: Early, but let's hear it: kona predictions [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:

This one made me laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are several athletes lining up who could run sub 2:40 and I’m guessing the fight will be between them. Lange, Frodo, Nilsson and Gomez. If Gomez gets off the bike wotg Lange and Nilsson it will be interesting, but I think Nilsson has a really good chance. He showed in Frankfurt that he can run his own race, which means not starting the run at 2:30 pace like Lange and several others did last year, and then just reels them in. Frodo is gonna be pushing hard all day and I think Kienle’s best shot is going hard on the bike and then cruise in a sub 2:55

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Early, but let's hear it: kona predictions [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really hope it is a shoulder to shoulder race between Charles and Ryf.

The guys have such a stacked field. This will be by far my favorite race. I am hoping Frodo takes it for the guys but I REALLY want Lange to pull out another banana
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Men:
Frodo
Gomez
Lange

Women:
Ryf
Carfrae
Kaisa Sali

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Early, but let's hear it: kona predictions [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Men:
Frodo
Gomez
Lange

Women:
Ryf
Carfrae
Kaisa Sali

Out of curiosity - why no Charles in that top 3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Men:

Frodo
Sanders
Lange

Women:

Ryf
Charles
Mirinda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
easy picks would be Frodo and Ryf, but to keep this interesting I will predict:

Men: Wurf (he's going to swim first pack - well old first pack, not with Josh and whoever manages to go with him - this will give him ~5 min head start on last year, then ride away from everyone except Starky, then hold on for the win with a 2:50 run)

Women: Haug. No one really has a shot at beating Ryf, but I hope Haug has sorted out her gut issues at Frankfurt and can have a good go at it.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, but let's hear it: kona predictions [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:

Men: Ashley Horner

Women: Ryf
Quote Reply
Re: Early, but let's hear it: kona predictions [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:
mattr wrote:

This one made me laugh.

in her mind, she's already won kona...2 or 3 times...on a huffy cause getting bikes to an island can't be done.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, but let's hear it: kona predictions [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watched Lionel's post-race recap and he seems to know what he did wrong, so I'm gonna stay on the Sanders bandwagon as others abandon him. Dude ran 2:55 on a pretty bad day. His odds will go up and my double down wager will pay off bigger.

I'd love to see Lucy upset Ryf, but Daniela is in another league right now. Lucy's year will come soon. And she'll have a long win streak.

(Aside: how awesome a race would it be if Nicola Spirig went after a Hawaii win?)

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As always, it'll be the best race field ever assembled on the island.

Men

1. Frodeno- The guy is out for blood and simply doesn't have a weakness, he's run low 2:40's in Kona and just ran a 2:39 in Frankfurt. Barring some catastrophe, I think Jan has this thing in his sights and is locked in.

2. Braden Currie- Just the right mix of talent and is tough as nails

3. Javier Gomez- Will lose some time on the bike, but run his way into 3rd.

Women

1. Ryf- simply a league of her own

2. Charles- almost there, but missing that extra 1%

3. Rinny- who's going to run with her? She still has an amazing ace in the hole that nobody else has

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Frodo
2. Gomez
3. Sanders

This prediction may change after 70.3 Worlds...

1. Ryf
2. Rinny
3. Charles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only the fastest time by a male was ran last year (by Lange). Crowie has the second fastest time (idk why everyone seems to think that Sanders has the second-fastest time; just like everyone thinks The Notebook came out in the 90's). And the fastest time by a female was in 2016 by Ryf.

Anyway, I say Lange and Ryf for the win. Jan and Lucy for runner up. Gomez and Rinny. Also, no one breaks 8hr this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Early, but let's hear it: kona predictions [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
Men:
Frodo
Gomez
Lange

Women:
Ryf
Carfrae
Kaisa Sali

Out of curiosity - why no Charles in that top 3?

Don’t get me wrong, I think she is very good and is probably the best bet for 2nd. That said I figured I’d throw it out there as a surprise possibility. She hasn’t raced much this year (just 2 races since Kona last I think) which could maybe leave her flat

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frodo and Lange eat too many vegetables.

I'm going with Javier Gomez. Everyone knows Spanish steak makes you go fast.

This year Ryf will be done showering and in dry clothes when 2nd place comes across the line.
Quote Reply

Prev Next