Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Earbuds for running - FM radio
Quote | Reply
My Bose earbuds have reached the end of their life (actually twice, they warrantied the first set). I'm old school, and like listening to FM radio when I'm running for the news updates and the variety. I've a small Sony MP3/FM radio the size of a USB stick I plug the headphones into. I don't take my phone when running - stopped that when 'progress' took phones bigger than a 4.2" xperia active. My preference is the type of bud that's held in place with a clip over the ear. I don't find the pure buds stay in my ears once I get sweaty.

But now everything seems to be going bluetooth. So 2 questions.

1) Are there any bluetooth earbud things with built in radio? There seems to have been some a couple of years ago, but no longer available.
2) If I stayed corded, anyone got any recommendations - my usual go to of neither bose or sennheisser are drawing a blank.
Quote Reply
Re: Earbuds for running - FM radio [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For wired; here's a light, cheap, waterproof one: https://www.amazon.com/...ctronics&sr=1-16

Sound quality isn't Bose level, but good enough for swimming/treadmill running at the gym IME. I've clipped it to the back of my shirt collar, but typically clip it to a running visor and tuck in the cord.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Earbuds for running - FM radio [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I've got the radio - it's the headphones that are broken (and for FM they use the cable for the aerial - hence no BT). So I'm after the headphones - sure there's a stack of $20 headphones, but they last 2 weeks and sound awful, which is why I go quality - until they stopped making them.

Edit: Also as per the amazon link that's out of stock and discontinued for last 4 years.
Last edited by: Duncan74: Apr 20, 21 15:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had good luck with the Sony or Philips hook type that goes over the ear.

under 20 and lasts about a year which is about how long before my kid steals them.

have a pair of Sennheiser and dont like them at all. love their over ear stuff though...

$15...Sony Extra Bass Active Sports in Ear Ear Bud Over The Ear Splashproof Premium Headphones

$18...Philips SHQ3200PK/28 ActionFit Sports Earhook Headphones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
I'm old school, and like listening to FM radio when I'm running for the news updates and the variety. I've got the radio - it's the headphones that are broken (and for FM they use the cable for the aerial - hence no BT).

I'm sure your local terrestrial radio station also has a digital live stream that you can pick up on your phone + bluetooth headphones/earbuds [no antenna necessary]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Earbuds for running - FM radio [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As above. I don't carry and don't want to carry a phone when running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have an ipod Nano. No longer made but you can get a refurbished unit and it has a radio tuner. It also bluetooth so you can use any BT headphones you like.

https://www.backmarket.com/tested-and-certified-used-ipod-nano-7-16gb-blue/16569.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8uuMtJuQ8AIVC9d3Ch1AKgBFEAQYBSABEgK7pPD_BwE

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Tayogo bone conduction mp3 player + FM radio a year and a half ago. Still going strong. I got it for swimming, but have found it's perfect for running also, and no worries about sweat and rain. Self contained (not blue tooth dependant). The sound quality isn't bose-in-ear or anything... but good, and totally hassle free. battery lasts about 5 hours playing mp3's and about 3 hours listening to FM radio. I've also got a nice little clip on San-Disk FM radio I used for years, but was blowing through wired ear buds in a couple months, and had to put it in a plastic bag to protect it from rain and sweat. I still have it, but the bone conduction is so much more hassle free. When the Tayogo ever quits, I'm planning to go Aftershocks... assuming they also make an FM radio? I don't know if they do.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Earbuds for running - FM radio [ScoutMac187] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Appreciate the suggestion. And I'm in some ways happier that I didn't just miss something when googling. Seems I needed to stock up on stuff 4 years ago.

The nano has a radio, and bluetooth, but based on a quick check then you can't use bluetooth for radio (several threads, here's just one Why can't the radio be pushed out the blu… - Apple Community)

So looks like I'm going back to the Sony headphones linked above - I used to use them in 2012-15 and went through 4-5 pairs in that time from memory. Managed to get 2 pairs for $15 each at Auckland Marathon Expo which helped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clumsy workaround, but I on occasion used a cheap 2.5 headphone Jack to Bluetooth adapter (I had anyways) on my older clip-on mp3 radio.
Not sure if worth the hassle if buying new <Shrug>.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
As above. I don't carry and don't want to carry a phone when running.

Can't help you then

Conversely, I do carry a phone, but don't listen to music*

* I don't Strava, either - I take a phone for pictures, but not nearly as many as MistressK

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Apr 22, 21 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: Earbuds for running - FM radio [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't listen to music while running either. Music makes me go fast and I'm too old for that.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem. Every mp3 player today is 100+eur and with a 10 inch touchscreen and finding a small one with good battery is almost impossible. Then I stumbled upon SanDisk Clip Jam. It cost something around 20 euros and as the name suggest it has a clip and since it weighs basically nothing, you cant even feel it. I paired it with Koss Plug headphones and its a match made in heaven. Koss plugs have a weak point at the cable near the connector(one side loses connection) but since they cost around 16euros, I just replace them once or twice per year when it happens.

Added bonus with such a cheap combo is that I dont have to worry about losing it (never have) or getting caught in rain ( have used them during heavy thunderstorms with massive downpours and not a single problem).

Also the sound quality is good and the Plugs provide a good fit so they dont fall out.

Links for example:
SanDisk Clip Jam : https://www.amazon.com/...-Black/dp/B00VXMY262
Koss Plug : https://www.amazon.com/...-Black/dp/B00001P4XA
Last edited by: koplus: Apr 22, 21 5:57
Quote Reply