Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Eagleman swim? [greg'n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe the RD can make the following adaptations to the 2011 event.

Last wave is for all those who wish to simply participate to complete the course rather than race for awards or slots.

Last wave is a "participants" wave and goes off 60 minutes after the previous wave to keep it mostly seperate from the competitor waves.
Wetsuits allowed, use at your own discretion
Drafting discouraged but not penalized
Blocking discouraged but not penalized
Overtaken/Position fouls not assessed
Official race results say FINISHER (no splits or time, they were not properly racing for time anyway) - but you can still get a slip with your time from the timers just like they did at the race site after you finish.

OR

Maybe those who sign up for a half ironman race can treat the challenge with the respect it deserves and put in the time to learn to swim with more confidence/faster/safer or whatever their concern is that makes them feel the need for a wetsuit.

More condescension towards weak swimmers. Thanks.

Stop giving official times for "participants" and you'll find far fewer of us in your way at events. But then fewer triathletes = fewer, more poorly supported races, less money invested in developing new gear, etc. That's not going to be good for anyone. (This is the way this argument usually goes, right?)

I'm getting the feeling that those who don't care about rules changing 1 hour before an event are all in the front-of-the-pack crowd who aren't affected much by the change.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [trijim3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
...everything you took to the race start you had to shlep 4 miles back to your car after the race. ...

To be fair, it was only 2 1/4 miles back to the parking lot. But where were the shuttles that were supposed to start going back at noon?

You're right - 2 1/4 miles - I just checked Google Maps - had to stop to ask a policeman for directions - luckily I knew it was the Middle School - he wanted to send me to the Elementary School. As far as shuttles - we were told no bikes on the shuttle - you were expected to ride your bike back to your car. Of course this wasn't an option before the race because bikes were 'locked' in transition.

Thanks for your comments. Hope you had a better weekend. Jim B.

You're right, of course: no bikes on the shuttle even if they had been running. My wife would have appreciated a shuttle, though. We were lucky enough to stumble on the signed route back to the lot even though we apparently went out the "wrong" way from the park (meaning out an exit from which the route wasn't signed), and I had my phone for maps so that wasn't a problem for us.

Good luck at your next event -- I'm doing the bike leg of a mixed relay at the Celebration Sprint in 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [Skewer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
All you can do it prepare the best you can and accept that the conditions might not be ideal on race morning.

Absolutely. But certainly we can expect the same degree of preparation from the RD. There are over 140 posts on this thread, and still there is disagreement about what the rules required. While there are a bunch of anectodal swim reports about the water being hot and the possiblity of overheating with a wetsuit, the fact is that was not the stated reason for the change on race morning. The announcement was only that they were changing it to a non wetsuit swim because the water was over 78 and that they had no way to track people who would have decided to still race w/ a wetsuit. That was THEIR reason. Since they didn't have a system in place, they wouldn't allow racers to use wetsuits. The decision was never communicated to be one based on safety considerations. It was communicated to be based on a desire to ensure tracking accuracy. The safety issue is hard to argue with -- of course everyone wants to make decisions to protect the safety of the racers. But in this instance it's being used to justify a rule deviation that was made for completely different reasons. They had no way to track wetsuit racers, so they said no wetsuits.

People on Saturday were hovering around the "swim-out" and going for quick swims in their wetsuits. There had to be close to 50 people there at one point, all in wetsuits, all jumping in and taking short swims. None of them came out complaining of the water being too warm. Lots of people were complaining when they changed the rule on race morning. The water on Saturday couldn't have been very different on Sunday (see some of the posts above about people doing a quick test swim and stating how warm the water was). We were told on Saturday by the RD that it was a wetsuit swim. There were 2 pre-race meetings on Saturday, and not a single comment was made that raised even the slightest possibility that there could be a change that eliminated wetsuits altogether. Not a single comment at packet pick-up, not a single comment at the pre-race meetings, not a single comment when racking your bike. The river didn't shoot up 2 degrees overnight. Why didn't they tell everyone on Saturday? Why did the RD sound so absolutist about it being a wetsuit swim less than 24 hours before the race?

Conditions less than ideal? Adapt. The bike is windy? Adapt. The current is strong? Adapt. The rules are unclear? Make them clear. You're an RD and not sure if it's going to be a wetsuit swim? Don't tell everyone it's a wetsuit swim. You have no way of tracking wetsuit racers who want to race and forego awards? Adapt. I guarantee you the RD will have a contingency in place next year, and that with the exact same conditions they'll allow wetsuits and have a system that tracks those racers.

This was not a safety-based decision. This was a decision based on not having an adequate tracking system in place for people who wanted to race w/ wetsuits.

For all the people that was not there, re-read the bold. The RACE ANNOUNCER did not state safety as a reason why wetsuits were not allowed above 78. The RACE ANNOUNCER stated that the reason was because they had no way of telling whether a person was there to race to just to complete the event. All of these posts citing safety as a reason is a bunch of uninformed people.

Safety might be the reason but that was not what the RACE ANNOUNCER stated was the reason. This means that they had no plan for an above 78 degrees swim.

Quote | Reply
"I'm getting the feeling that those who don't care about rules changing 1 hour before an event are all in the front-of-the-pack crowd who aren't affected much by the change. "

I am not a FOP racer but I didn't care about the rule change and still don't see what the big deal is. All of us who raced were subject to the same conditions, rules (or changes thereto), etc. No one had any advantage over anyone else. I carried my wetsuit to transition in the morning only to find out it was a non-wetsuit swim. Sucks, but what you gonna do? I am not a strong swimmer by any stretch but if you're going to show up to a race, one should be prepared to race in the conditions on the day. If the water was >78 or the RD (or USAT Official) said no wetsuits, then you swim without one and it what it is. I agree that it shoudln't have been stated as a certainty on Saturday that wetsuits would be allowed, but as I see it that was the only mistake. If people are picking races based upon the liklihood of wetsuit swims, then they should either put more time in at the pool or pick another sport. At 78 degrees, no one NEEDs a wetsuit. I wasn't happy with my time (slower than I've gone there before) but I think that most people on this thread should spend less time online and more time in the pool. Again, not picking on weak swimmers, but come on guys . . .

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [bloxomo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We were prepared a week in advance for a nonwetsuit swim. A simple google of bay temps would have given anyone who cared to check it an idea that the swim might be too warm for a wetsuit. I am not a good swimmer, however I don't think anyone should be doing triathlon if they 'need' their wetsuit to feel safe in the water or to complete the swim distance. It is triathlon and that implies that you not only know how to swim, you consider it a segment of a competitive event.

Here is the link for water temps, it may come in handy at some future race:

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/533.html

Nor do I use punctuation in the way a child sprinkles glitter over a ribbon of glue on construction paper - Trash Talk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Maybe the RD can make the following adaptations to the 2011 event.

Last wave is for all those who wish to simply participate to complete the course rather than race for awards or slots.

Last wave is a "participants" wave and goes off 60 minutes after the previous wave to keep it mostly seperate from the competitor waves.
Wetsuits allowed, use at your own discretion
Drafting discouraged but not penalized
Blocking discouraged but not penalized
Overtaken/Position fouls not assessed
Official race results say FINISHER (no splits or time, they were not properly racing for time anyway) - but you can still get a slip with your time from the timers just like they did at the race site after you finish.

OR

Maybe those who sign up for a half ironman race can treat the challenge with the respect it deserves and put in the time to learn to swim with more confidence/faster/safer or whatever their concern is that makes them feel the need for a wetsuit.

More condescension towards weak swimmers. Thanks.

Stop giving official times for "participants" and you'll find far fewer of us in your way at events. But then fewer triathletes = fewer, more poorly supported races, less money invested in developing new gear, etc. That's not going to be good for anyone. (This is the way this argument usually goes, right?)

I'm getting the feeling that those who don't care about rules changing 1 hour before an event are all in the front-of-the-pack crowd who aren't affected much by the change.

More condescension towards weak swimmers? I AM a weak swimmer...so put your high horse back in it's stable with the horsepoo arguments you are spouting. Next time you are out on the course, look around you at your fellow athletes. 95 percent of them are HTFUing and just doing the race. YOU are the exception, the whiner, the one who just can't accept the results of your own lack of preparedness. What was your plan if race day water temps had been 85 degrees? Consider yourself lucky that one of the properties of a wetsuit is it's positive flotation so that you can participate in a sport which you would otherwise be unable to participate in. Ingrate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously, cry me a river. David Kahn swam the course in 25 minutes. If people can't complete the swim at 36% the speed of him, then they should be DQ'd. There are other people who got closed out of registration who certainly can complete a TRIathlon. Its pretty hard to argue someone is a triathlete if he or she is reliant upon a wetsuit to make it through a 1.2 mile swim. So like I said, cry me a river, or at least don't swim in a river which has a history of tides, winds, jellyfish, and hot temps.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [trijim3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

All this swim condescension is juvenile. It seems to assume that all of our methods and rationale should be the same. Who's to say that one persons rationale is superior to the next. And where are the USAT or WTC swim requirements? I do agree that every person needs to show up on race day prepared to cover the distance within the time limits. In my mind that's actually rule number one in triathlon. This was my second Eagleman. The 2008 race was my first HIM. I'm probably like lots of people, in that I *assumed* that wetsuits would only be banned if water temps were above 84 degrees. So yeah, I was surprised by the announcement that wetsuits were banned. My normal anxiety about the swim was definitely increased. Anyway, in 08 I swam 46. This year I swam 1:14 and I'm a better swimmer now than I was 2 years ago, having done lots of work on my swim in preparation for IMLP last year, and continuing to work up to the current time. So I finished the swim, huge triumph in my mind. Me overcoming my own self inflicted limitations. I then proceeded to complete the bike and the run. Afterward I sat and ate and chatted with my friends and family for probably an hour and half. It wasnt until I went back to get my stuff out of transition that I noticed a piece of duct tape next to my name on the bike stand that said to not run because I had been DQ'd. No one said a single word to me about getting off the course or being DQ. So if noone stops you what does DQ really mean? If someone had said something, given some explanation, I would have stepped aside without much ballyhoo. Glad to not have to run in that heat. As it is, I finished in 6:55. Certainly not up to ST standards but it's a number for me to shoot for next time. Heck I knew coming in that I wasn't going to win any awards. The results say nothing about DQ. I didn't like the last minute wetsuit ban but I understand that we need to show up ready to deal with whatever situation presents itself. Also, if they knew about the tides and current, why didn't they reverse the course so that you'd be swimming with the current down the final leg? Just like it was 2 years ago? Don't they have enough experience with this location to understand how the current works? That's not a complaint, just wondering. I'm glad to be able to say I completed it just as it was.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I had a regular swim suit and a Blue-Seventy swim skin in the car, but left them because everything you took to the race start you had to shlep 4 miles back to your car after the race.

I feel bad for you that you weren't able to finish the whole course, but really? Carrying about half a pound of clothes would have put your load over the edge?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [Just Old Again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I had a regular swim suit and a Blue-Seventy swim skin in the car, but left them because everything you took to the race start you had to shlep 4 miles back to your car after the race.

I feel bad for you that you weren't able to finish the whole course, but really? Carrying about half a pound of clothes would have put your load over the edge?

Those transition areas are small enough that why would you need to bring extra stuff there that you don't need? I brought my wetsuit with me to the transition area. When they say no wetsuits allowed, I walked back to my car (10 min walk) to put the wetsuit away. I think that it's common courtesy to not clutter the transition are with anything that you don't need. If you are lead to believe (correctly or incorrectly) that it's a wetsuit legal swim, why would you bring your wetsuit and the skinsuit?

It's kind of like, ok ... it's going to be 90 degrees today but I'll bring my long sleeve bike jersey and long leg bike tights with me just in case it gets cold and drafty when I get out of the swim. If I don't need it then I'll just leave it all there in the transition area like a locker room area. Same type of situation. Why bring things that you don't need and clutter up the place?

Last edited by: zoom: Jun 15, 10 5:34
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [Just Old Again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to dog pile, but I always carry my B70 Helix full sleeve and B70 Swin Skin in my Zoot Transition bag. I will only wear my Helix if it's too cold or I think I have a shot at the podium and my competition is wearing a full sleeve as well.

I was a Boy Scout, so I am always prepared. When I get home from a race, I clean the clothes and put them back into my Transition bag and replenish my supplements for the next race.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To dog pile, same here but no swim skin. I do have a speedo FSII and desoto tri top . It goes right under wetsuit and guess what I can take wetsuit off and just swim in that. Probably does just as good as a b70 :) or not. Any how talking about a thread that keeps on beating a dead horse.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
More condescension towards weak swimmers? I AM a weak swimmer...so put your high horse back in it's stable with the horsepoo arguments you are spouting. Next time you are out on the course, look around you at your fellow athletes. 95 percent of them are HTFUing and just doing the race. YOU are the exception, the whiner, the one who just can't accept the results of your own lack of preparedness. What was your plan if race day water temps had been 85 degrees? Consider yourself lucky that one of the properties of a wetsuit is it's positive flotation so that you can participate in a sport which you would otherwise be unable to participate in. Ingrate.

My plan for 85 degree water was to swim without a wetsuit -- just like I did on Sunday. The difference is that I knew that there wasn't much chance of the water being that warm, so I was willing to take the risk.

My plan for 79 degree water, which I knew was likely because I had been following NOAA's reported water temperatures (see http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/...ge.php?station=camm2; there's a link at the bottom for 45 days' worth of measurements), was to swim in a wetsuit and accept the lack of awards and prizes I wasn't going to win anyway.

The only reason for the complaints that have been aired in this thread is that CTA was not prepared to follow the wetsuit-but-no-awards rule for 78 to 84 degree water. That rule was clearly stated in at least three places on the website. It is also stated on the WTA website. The document on the Eagleman site's "Race Rules" link, which some, falling victim to the inverse error, see as contravening the standard rule, gives a summary of the standard rule and omits what happens above 78 degress for brevity. That document comes from WTA and is the same for every Ironman race; how can it be read to contradict the full WTA rule?

This isn't a matter of people whining because they had a few extra minutes on their times. This isn't a matter of the 10th place M35-39 whining because the swim is his weak leg and he thinks he'd have gotten a Clearwater slot with a wetsuit. This is a matter of people being DQed -- and many of them obeyed their "do not run" notices. Perhaps the weakest of the weak swimmers wouldn't have made the cutoff even in a wetsuit. But we've already met a few in this thread who probably would have made it.

Those people spent $255+ on a race they had every reason to think they'd be allowed to finish. Because of CTA's lack of preparation (and remember, they can use the NOAA's site too) they were not allowed to do so. Is that fair?

I've corrected attacks on my logic from people who don't know what they're talking about. It has been implied that I'd drown without a wetsuit (obviously I didn't). I've called people out on their condescending "if you're slow, don't compete" rants. I've tried to present some facts. For this I'm a whiner?

CTA should have noticed there was a good chance of high water temperatures and done one of the following: 1) developed a plan for tracking wetsuit versus non-wetsuit; or 2) announced the possibility of 79-degrees-and-no-wetsuit with the offer of a refund or deferral.
Given that they did neither, they should offer a refund or comp entry to those who were DQed but likely would have made the cutoff in a wetsuit. (But even this doesn't do justice to some who completed the swim but in such bad condition that they DNFed. Again, some would have DNFed anyway, but a few would not have if they'd had a wetsuit.)
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [Skewer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USAT officials measure the water temp, not the RD. From what I know the water was measured below 78 on Sat., not the case on Sunday morning. This could happen for numerous reasons......mainly location of taking the temp. Maybe the RD assumed that if it was good on Sat then it certainly should be good on Sunday??? as far as the lack of a plan to account for "non-award" participants, not sure what was the case there. I can say that I was in the Choptank the Sunday before the race and the water was warmer than it was this past Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Given that they did neither, they should offer a refund or comp entry to those who were DQed but likely would have made the cutoff in a wetsuit. (But even this doesn't do justice to some who completed the swim but in such bad condition that they DNFed. Again, some would have DNFed anyway, but a few would not have if they'd had a wetsuit.) "

You're arguing 2 different things. I agree they should have allowed people to use wetsuits for temps between 78-84, but they didn't.

HOWEVER, you should not need a wetsuit in 78+ degree weather to complete a 1.2 mile swim in the required cut-off time. If you can not do this without a wetsuit, then you should wait to enter a race such as a 70.3 until you can.

Also, for the athletes that were not allowed to run while others were that had a swim time over 1 hour, I think the ruling is up to the RD and it has to do with wave times. I think the cut-off is 1:05 after the start of the last wave. So if you were in the first couple of waves (besides the pro's), then you had longer to complete the course than the last wave did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

My plan for 85 degree water was to swim without a wetsuit -- just like I did on Sunday. The difference is that I knew that there wasn't much chance of the water being that warm, so I was willing to take the risk.

My plan for 79 degree water, which I knew was likely because I had been following NOAA's reported water temperatures (see http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/...ge.php?station=camm2; there's a link at the bottom for 45 days' worth of measurements), was to swim in a wetsuit and accept the lack of awards and prizes I wasn't going to win anyway.

The only reason for the complaints that have been aired in this thread is that CTA was not prepared to follow the wetsuit-but-no-awards rule for 78 to 84 degree water. That rule was clearly stated in at least three places on the website. It is also stated on the WTA website. The document on the Eagleman site's "Race Rules" link, which some, falling victim to the inverse error, see as contravening the standard rule, gives a summary of the standard rule and omits what happens above 78 degress for brevity. That document comes from WTA and is the same for every Ironman race; how can it be read to contradict the full WTA rule?

This isn't a matter of people whining because they had a few extra minutes on their times. This isn't a matter of the 10th place M35-39 whining because the swim is his weak leg and he thinks he'd have gotten a Clearwater slot with a wetsuit. This is a matter of people being DQed -- and many of them obeyed their "do not run" notices. Perhaps the weakest of the weak swimmers wouldn't have made the cutoff even in a wetsuit. But we've already met a few in this thread who probably would have made it.

Those people spent $255+ on a race they had every reason to think they'd be allowed to finish. Because of CTA's lack of preparation (and remember, they can use the NOAA's site too) they were not allowed to do so. Is that fair?

I've corrected attacks on my logic from people who don't know what they're talking about. It has been implied that I'd drown without a wetsuit (obviously I didn't). I've called people out on their condescending "if you're slow, don't compete" rants. I've tried to present some facts. For this I'm a whiner?

CTA should have noticed there was a good chance of high water temperatures and done one of the following: 1) developed a plan for tracking wetsuit versus non-wetsuit; or 2) announced the possibility of 79-degrees-and-no-wetsuit with the offer of a refund or deferral.
Given that they did neither, they should offer a refund or comp entry to those who were DQed but likely would have made the cutoff in a wetsuit. (But even this doesn't do justice to some who completed the swim but in such bad condition that they DNFed. Again, some would have DNFed anyway, but a few would not have if they'd had a wetsuit.)

By definition, when CTA signed the contract with USAT to be sanctioned, they agreed to follow all the rules, and have plans in place to implement any of them if needed. This would be how to track folks wearing wetsuits when the water was 78-84 and could not get awards. I continue to be shocked to hear the NOAA's website had the water temp which showed it would probably be over 78. And folks are letting the RD off by when he stated on Sat, from what folks posted, that the swim would be a wetsuit swim. Some seem to suggest the RD might have been going to announce a 77.9 degree water temp until the USAT official did their job. And folks can defend this race. Oh well, sure would be interesting to see what WTC thinks about this since one of their events did not follow their rules. I guess that is okay, but if any of us athletes break the rules, we get nailed.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Jun 15, 10 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Given that they did neither, they should offer a refund or comp entry to those who were DQed but likely would have made the cutoff in a wetsuit. (But even this doesn't do justice to some who completed the swim but in such bad condition that they DNFed. Again, some would have DNFed anyway, but a few would not have if they'd had a wetsuit.) "

You're arguing 2 different things. I agree they should have allowed people to use wetsuits for temps between 78-84, but they didn't.

But you don't think that there should be any consequences for CTA failing to follow the rules?

In Reply To:
HOWEVER, you should not need a wetsuit in 78+ degree weather to complete a 1.2 mile swim in the required cut-off time. If you can not do this without a wetsuit, then you should wait to enter a race such as a 70.3 until you can.

Make it a rule and I won't. Or at least I'll pick races with colder or easier swims, or choose to do Eagleman when conditions might be better (meaning less current, although NOAA's predictions were for near slack water this year: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/...ts10/tab2ac5.html#57).

In Reply To:
Also, for the athletes that were not allowed to run while others were that had a swim time over 1 hour, I think the ruling is up to the RD and it has to do with wave times. I think the cut-off is 1:05 after the start of the last wave. So if you were in the first couple of waves (besides the pro's), then you had longer to complete the course than the last wave did.

The cutoff is 1:10 from the start of your wave. I think the people who were "allowed" to do the run simply ignored the DQ notice or were so focused or dazed that they did not see the notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

In Reply To:

The cutoff is 1:10 from the start of your wave. I think the people who were "allowed" to do the run simply ignored the DQ notice or were so focused or dazed that they did not see the notice.[/reply]
Man, we learned the hard way at Worlds that basically ignore the officials, keep your chip, and keep going. If my wife and daughter had done this, which I believe is "against" the rules, they would have finished their race and gotten a full time. But instead, they listened to the marshalls, gave their chips when they stopped the race illegally, and where told after from USAT, they should have kept going and not given them their chip. So, never ever listen to the race folks. Finish the race, and then deal with what happens after the fact. If you do not finish, there is nothing you can do about a time. But if you do finish, there is a good chance your time will stand. Pretty sad, but when races mess up, usually the athletes are the ones to get screwed.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By definition, when CTA signed the contract with USAT to be sanctioned, they agreed to follow all the rules, and have plans in place to implement any of them if needed. This would be how to track folks wearing wetsuits when the water was 78-84 and could not get awards. I continue to be shocked to hear the NOAA's website had the water temp which showed it would probably be over 78. And folks are letting the RD off by when he stated on Sat, from what folks posted, that the swim would be a wetsuit swim. Clearly, the RD was going to announce a 77.9 degree water temp until the USAT official did their job. And folks can defend this race. Oh well, sure would be interesting to see what WTC thinks about this since one of their events did not follow their rules. I guess that is okay, but if any of us athletes break the rules, we get nailed.

Dave, in the statement highlighted above, you appear to be insinuating that the RD intended to dishonestly represent the water temps, but was thwarted by an honest USAT official who did not allow that to happen. Is that your assertion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
By definition, when CTA signed the contract with USAT to be sanctioned, they agreed to follow all the rules, and have plans in place to implement any of them if needed. This would be how to track folks wearing wetsuits when the water was 78-84 and could not get awards. I continue to be shocked to hear the NOAA's website had the water temp which showed it would probably be over 78. And folks are letting the RD off by when he stated on Sat, from what folks posted, that the swim would be a wetsuit swim. Clearly, the RD was going to announce a 77.9 degree water temp until the USAT official did their job. And folks can defend this race. Oh well, sure would be interesting to see what WTC thinks about this since one of their events did not follow their rules. I guess that is okay, but if any of us athletes break the rules, we get nailed.

Dave, in the statement highlighted above, you appear to be insinuating that the RD intended to dishonestly represent the water temps, but was thwarted by an honest USAT official who did not allow that to happen. Is that your assertion?

I have no idea what anyone was doing. I facts are the NOAA info any could see. The RD stated on Sat is would be a wetsuit swim. Folks ask how overnight the water temp could go up 2 degrees. No idea.

I do not first hand an RD who wrote me that even though I measure water at 82, his race would NEVER have a water temp over 77.9 So yes, I have seen first hand what some RD's do to avoid having to deal with the USAT rules they signed up for.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by usairl [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: usairl: Jun 15, 10 8:45
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I have no idea what anyone was doing. I facts are the NOAA info any could see. The RD stated on Sat is would be a wetsuit swim. Folks ask how overnight the water temp could go up 2 degrees. No idea.

I do not first hand an RD who wrote me that even though I measure water at 82, his race would NEVER have a water temp over 77.9 So yes, I have seen first hand what some RD's do to avoid having to deal with the USAT rules they signed up for.

Back to the question Dave, are you asserting that the RD for Eagleman 2010 intended to dishonestly represent the water temps, but was thwarted by an honest USAT official who did not allow that to happen? Maybe a Yes/No with explanation following (if needed) would bring clarity to your position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Back to the question Dave, are you asserting that the RD for Eagleman 2010 intended to dishonestly represent the water temps, but was thwarted by an honest USAT official who did not allow that to happen? Maybe a Yes/No with explanation following (if needed) would bring clarity to your position.

I have no idea who did what since I was not in their shoes, or there, so if I only get a yes/no answer, it could have to be no. I really could care less, what I care about is the rules were not followed which means the race had a process ready and used on race day for wetsuits to be used in water between 78-84

Last edited by: h2ofun: Jun 15, 10 8:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You're right, of course: no bikes on the shuttle even if they had been running. My wife would have appreciated a shuttle, though. We were lucky enough to stumble on the signed route back to the lot even though we apparently went out the "wrong" way from the park (meaning out an exit from which the route wasn't signed), and I had my phone for maps so that wasn't a problem for us.

Good luck at your next event -- I'm doing the bike leg of a mixed relay at the Celebration Sprint in 2 weeks

I was wrong here: there were apparently signs in the trees directing us back to the parking lot, and the shuttles were running if you knew where to get them -- your driver on the way in was supposed to point out the pickup location.
Last edited by: bloxomo: Jun 15, 10 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I have no idea who did what since I was not in their shoes, or there, so if I only get a yes/no answer, it could have to be no. I really could care less, what I care about is the rules were not followed which means the race had a process ready and used on race day for wetsuits to be used in water between 78-84

Amazing Dave, really amazing. The phrase is "I couldn't care less", though your unintended butchering of the phrase renders it the most sensible thing you have written in your post. Yes, you COULD care less, and probably should.
Quote Reply

Prev Next