Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Eagleman swim? [TriDaveO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [bloxomo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Someone's purported ignorance of the rule...

Back to the argument...

How are we supposed to be aware of a rule that is never stated? And don't point to the "Race Rules" because, as I mentioned above, it does not logically follow from that statement that wetsuits are disallowed at temperatures above 78.

I think you attended the same logic class as Woody Allen:

All men are mortal.
Socrates was mortal.
Therefore, all men are Socrates.

That was right before he was expelled from his metaphysics class when the professor caught him cheating by looking into the soul of the student next to him.

If you fail to see the inverse of the rule there is nothing I can say that will persuade you. Best of luck to you sir. I'm finished here.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

That was right before he was expelled from his metaphysics class when the professor caught him cheating by looking into the soul of the student next to him.

"I told him "Be fruitful, and multiply." But not in so many words"

I don't know anyone who knows Woody Allen's standup routines!

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the tide was going out and it is much stronger than we realize sometimes.
I did hear a rumor they were delaying due to tide, hoping it would be a little more slack when the later waves went off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Back to the argument...

How are we supposed to be aware of a rule that is never stated? And don't point to the "Race Rules" because, as I mentioned above, it does not logically follow from that statement that wetsuits are disallowed at temperatures above 78.

As an Eagleman registrant, you received an email (I wonder if you read it) that contained the following statements:

"Ironman and Ironman 70.3 events are sanctioned by USA Triathlon (USAT). Ironman has been granted certain rule dispensations so please read the following information carefully as the rules may differ slightly from other USAT-sanctioned events. "

and later in that same email -

"5. Wetsuits are allowed for all athletes if the water is 78 degrees Fahrenheit or colder. "

"Ironman reserves the right to make changes to these rules at any time. Notification of any change will be in accordance with USAT procedures."

Please note the following from USAT's website information on Rules.

1.4 Rules Exceptions and Additions. For any particular event, a race director may request from USA Triathlon a

specific exception or addition to these Rules. Any such request should be made with the consideration of the

participant’s safety as the highest priority. All requests for Rule changes must be made in writing. All exceptions or

additions to these Rules must be expressly approved in writing by the Executive Director of USA Triathlon and

must be announced to all participants prior to the event.

Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Back to the argument...

I think you attended the same logic class as Woody Allen:

All men are mortal.
Socrates was mortal.
Therefore, all men are Socrates.

If you fail to see the inverse of the rule there is nothing I can say that will persuade you. Best of luck to you sir. I'm finished here.

I see the inverse of the rule. The inverse of the rule is "if the water temp is above 78 then wetsuits are not allowed." The problem is that the inverse is not the same as the original statement.

Please see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_(logic)

and note the statement "the inverse of a conditional is not inferable from the conditional." (Or check this out in any Discrete Mathematics or Logic textbook).

So again: someone please find where CTA clearly states the rule "at Eagleman, wetsuits are allowed if and only if the water temperature is 78 degrees or lower".
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [greg'n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Back to the argument...

As an Eagleman registrant, you received an email (I wonder if you read it) that contained the following statements:

"Ironman and Ironman 70.3 events are sanctioned by USA Triathlon (USAT). Ironman has been granted certain rule dispensations so please read the following information carefully as the rules may differ slightly from other USAT-sanctioned events. "

"5. Wetsuits are allowed for all athletes if the water is 78 degrees Fahrenheit or colder. "

"Ironman reserves the right to make changes to these rules at any time. Notification of any change will be in accordance with USAT procedures."

1.4 Rules Exceptions and Additions. For any particular event, a race director may request from USA Triathlon a

specific exception or addition to these Rules. Any such request should be made with the consideration of the

participant’s safety as the highest priority. All requests for Rule changes must be made in writing. All exceptions or

additions to these Rules must be expressly approved in writing by the Executive Director of USA Triathlon and

Let's see, this is not even the current rules, as was posted. Yep, they did not have any pro-active USAT ruling if they wanted to ask for a waiver from the 78-84 rule. Looks like someone tried to play games with the water temp since clearly, it had to be over 78 on Sat based on folks comments who were there. Sounds like if there was not a first class USAT official the water would have been 77.9, since this race did not have all the required processes in place, like what do they do when they have to use the 78-84 rule.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [Gnome Express] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly the reason for the delay.

As we swimming before the race, one of the lifeguards who waved people in said "You'll are going to get your asses kicked swimming towards the bridge."
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [greg'n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Yes, I did read it. I read everything on every link before the race. Nowhere did I find the statement "wetsuits will not be allowed if the water temperature is over 78 degrees." I recommend Discrete Mathematics with Applications by Susanna Epp if you would like to read about conditionals, their inverses, converses, and contrapositives.

Or are you saying that CTA made their written request Sunday morning and that the announcement at 6:30am or so was the prior notice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have refrained from comment but can't bite my tongue anymore.

This all makes me sad. This is a sport for most and something done for enjoyment. There are rules and sometimes they need to be bent due to circumstances and mother nature. The rules are in place to protect the athletes and spectators as much as possible.

Eagleman is a long running triathlon and the RD's and their crews put on a very good event. What they could have done or should have done is now irrelavent, but can be lessons learned for the future events.

That being said, anyone that enters a triathlon should have the common sense to know there are inherint risks that are beyond the control of humans. Sh!t happens.

What I'm guessing happened is that the USAT official took the temp on race day, stuck to his guns that it was 78+ degrees and the RD's had to make a very quick decision as they had 2500 athletes jacked up on caffeine and god-knows what else waiting to SBR.

As athletes entering a triathlon, we should be ready to adapt to the situation at hand. The RD's did not make it so it was impossible for people to compete (like the comment about no aero helmet, which is not the same because a helmet is required for safety and some people might not have brought another non-aero helmet and therefore would not be able to participate at all).

It could have been done differently (not better or worse, but differently), but I honestly think it's a shame that there is so much arguement over specific symantics of rules for a sport that we "participate" in. For the vast majority, peoples livelihoods were not at stake on this fateful Sunday.

Adapt and overcome. Or maybe I'm just an elitist.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have refrained from comment but can't bite my tongue anymore.

This all makes me sad. This is a sport for most and something done for enjoyment. There are rules and sometimes they need to be bent due to circumstances and mother nature. The rules are in place to protect the athletes and spectators as much as possible.

Eagleman is a long running triathlon and the RD's and their crews put on a very good event. What they could have done or should have done is now irrelavent, but can be lessons learned for the future events.

That being said, anyone that enters a triathlon should have the common sense to know there are inherint risks that are beyond the control of humans. Sh!t happens.

What I'm guessing happened is that the USAT official took the temp on race day, stuck to his guns that it was 78+ degrees and the RD's had to make a very quick decision as they had 2500 athletes jacked up on caffeine and god-knows what else waiting to SBR.

As athletes entering a triathlon, we should be ready to adapt to the situation at hand. The RD's did not make it so it was impossible for people to compete (like the comment about no aero helmet, which is not the same because a helmet is required for safety and some people might not have brought another non-aero helmet and therefore would not be able to participate at all).

It could have been done differently (not better or worse, but differently), but I honestly think it's a shame that there is so much arguement over specific symantics of rules for a sport that we "participate" in. For the vast majority, peoples livelihoods were not at stake on this fateful Sunday.

Adapt and overcome. Or maybe I'm just an elitist.

I do not understand your position. I go to a race with my wetsuit. If the water is 77.9 or under, I use it. If it is over 78, I need to look at the conditions and see what I am racing for. I might decide to follow the rules, which were published, and use my wetsuit and not worry about awards. So, what quick decision was there for the RD to make? He had already better have had ready what contract he signed to agree to follow the rules. Sorry, I do not understand, with the current data presented, how you can defend them. And to be a "surprise" on Sunday the the USAT official did their job correctly, is even a bigger concern. When I was the RD for the race at LOP, I would measure the water temp each morning and update the website with real time information. No surprises. Since so many have used attacks to defend this RD's process, rather than facts that everything was above board, it just does not smell right. Now, there are some RD's out there that just stand up and admit their mistakes. When Charlie did this with his Rev3 race, he got lots of points from me. Why is the RD from this race not getting on and stating the facts. It is one thing to say one messed up. It is another to try and deflect the fair questions. Remember, no dumb questions, only dumb answers.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they allowed people to wear wetsuits and not qualify for awards how would they know at the end who wore wetsuits and who didn't?

Mike

http://www.MikeCaiazzo.com
http://www.USProTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTC policy.
I think it was a good idea. Perhaps lessons learned from Timberman '09 where a wetsuit was a bad idea in the respect continuous overheating of the body.

Run like you stole something
Formerly Fueled by ZYM
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [mcaiazzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been at a couple races where they have one heat after all others with all the folks that want to wear wetsuits. With chip timing it is not too hard to back out all those folks in the results. It usually is not too big a heat, as most feel pressure to not wear their suits..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...The RD's did not make it so it was impossible for people to compete...

But they did make it much more difficult for people to avoid being DQed without giving them the information they would need in order to assess their chances of being DQed.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [mcaiazzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If they allowed people to wear wetsuits and not qualify for awards how would they know at the end who wore wetsuits and who didn't?

Mike

That is exactly the process that must be ready to go, as per the USAT contract. Now, the only RD I have found so far who would answer the question was Vineman. For the few times in their history the water is over 78, and using a wetsuit means no awards, they have all the folks remove themselves for the normal wave starts. Then they added one wave start at the very end. When they exit the corral with there timing chips on, it records all of them. The time then just makes these all wetsuit folks who cannot get awards, and off they go. Pretty simple, if you have the plan done before hand, like all RD's should have ready. Not the water is 77.9 answer I have seen a number of times first hand.

Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [ORCA blanco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
WTC policy.
I think it was a good idea. Perhaps lessons learned from Timberman '09 where a wetsuit was a bad idea in the respect continuous overheating of the body.

What do you mean WTC policy? Uncle Phil posted there latest rules and it clearly stated, wetsuits can be used between 78 and 84, just no awards

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will stand next to the RD as I have raced at Eagleman and I have Co-RD'd a large tri event and can understand the confusion. Bottom line is the safety of the participants and it sounds like there was great potential for heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

As much as I enjoy ST and the fine people that post here, I don't think it's a rquirement for all RD's to have to come on ST and defend themselves.

I agree, I give a big standing O to ANYONE that stands up and admits their own faults. Rev3 guys are way above par in my book, but then again, I alone don't appear on anyones radar...yet...

The money and masses will talk and Eagleman will sell out completely next year. And I'm sure they will have a plan for water temperatures between 76 and 84 degrees.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've been at a couple races where they have one heat after all others with all the folks that want to wear wetsuits. With chip timing it is not too hard to back out all those folks in the results. It usually is not too big a heat, as most feel pressure to not wear their suits..

Yep, exactly what Vineman does and I would expect all others should do

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I will stand next to the RD as I have raced at Eagleman and I have Co-RD'd a large tri event and can understand the confusion. Bottom line is the safety of the participants and it sounds like there was great potential for heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

As much as I enjoy ST and the fine people that post here, I don't think it's a rquirement for all RD's to have to come on ST and defend themselves.

I agree, I give a big standing O to ANYONE that stands up and admits their own faults. Rev3 guys are way above par in my book, but then again, I alone don't appear on anyones radar...yet...

The money and masses will talk and Eagleman will sell out completely next year. And I'm sure they will have a plan for water temperatures between 76 and 84 degrees.

Now, if only the RD would come and post I am sorry, I messed up, and I will have a written plan ready for next year. At 76 as the cutoff, many of these races in WTC better be ready.

Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [Just Old Again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:

Do yuou really want too ?

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

...The RD's did not make it so it was impossible for people to compete...

But they did make it much more difficult for people to avoid being DQed without giving them the information they would need in order to assess their chances of being DQed.

Then in that case, those people were not trained well enough to handle the situation. Not every race is going to be perfect conditions for every athlete.

And this goes back to the arguement of learning to swim better. You are implying that people needed their wetsuit to aide them in order to go faster to beat the cut-off time.

And before anyone says it, yes, I think there should be a "Kona" rule for bikes that states that if the weather conditions call for it (excessively high winds), then disc wheels should not be used. It's a matter of safety and all racers should come prepared to use a non-disc rear wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you so mad at the RD?

Just don't sign up for Eagleman next year.

Do Vineman or Rev3 next year and wear a wetsuit when its 78+ degree water.

I think you need to get over it.

------------------------------------------
http://twitter.com/tridave

| Bonzai Sports | Blue Seventy | First Endurance |
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Quote:

Do yuou really want too ?

Yes.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [TriDaveO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why are you so mad at the RD?

Just don't sign up for Eagleman next year.

Do Vineman or Rev3 next year and wear a wetsuit when its 78+ degree water.

I think you need to get over it.

I am not "mad" at anyone. BUT, I do care about our sport. I care how others in our sport are treated. I care about our rules. I care about trying to see RD's follow rules. I care that ITU, WTC and USAT have different rules which makes these types of messes happen, and they seemed to be getting further apart, which makes it worse. I have worn a wetsuit when the RD said the water temp was 77.9, and I measured 82, more than once. I care that so many seem to just want to ignore rules THEY do not like, but bitch on others they DO like.

Just my personality, I try to help improve stuff, which means one has to start by asking tough TQC questions on what the problem statement is.

Yes, and I fully understand this means I have lots of arrow in the back. :o)

Quote Reply

Prev Next