Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Eagleman 1/2 wheel choice
Quote | Reply
I am doing Eagleman 1/2 on June 8. I am thinking about using Hed 3 front and Renn disc rear. This bike leg is flat but can be very windy. I would say I am an intermediate bike handler. I'm worried that this may be tough to control versus my training wheels if it is windy. Opinions?

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 1/2 wheel choice [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It all depends on what kind of wind the day brings...last year it was a bit windy, but I think that you would have been good with the combo that you are thinking about. I played it safe and went with 404 on the front and H3 on the rear...that was fine for me, although a very tall guy on a Guru with a disk went by me rather quickly.....maybe being as big as he was he could control it...?

http://www.scoogie.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 1/2 wheel choice [scoogie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks scoogie, I only weigh 135 lbs. How about Hed 3 front and rear?

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy,
I honestly don't know...I don't want to give you the wrong information.
At 135 lbs....the wind may still be able to throw you around a bit with H3's on BOTH the front and rear.....anyone else have an opinion?

http://www.scoogie.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eagleman is one of the only courses I know of where even I can see the value of a disc if you have one. It is totally flat, you have to stand up on two on the small bridges just to change your motion for a few seconds. I think last year was one of the most perfect days they've had for the race. I don't remember any bad wind. It was fast, fast, fast! Tim DeBoom's winning time was something like 4:15:00! The race is fast! Lot's of flat tires last year though, be sure to bring a spare. Good Luck, I'll see you at Sailwinds Park!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 1/2 wheel choice [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually DeBoom's time was 3:44:07. I wouldn't worry too much about the wind, and be prepared for no shade, and flat, fast bike leg. See you all at Sailwinds.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm only 145lbs and have used a disk at Eagleman(and nearly every other race I've done) every time I've raced there. A flat windy course is ideal for a disk wheel...you can fly! I'd worry more about the HED3 on the front than the disk rear. Bring along a front wheel with less surface area in case it is real windy because control can be an issue with the 3 on the front in crosswinds. Otherwise, it's a real fast combination. andrew

Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 1/2 wheel choice [andrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All this talk about handling in the wind, I don't know maybe I just don't notice. I ride a Softride with a disc and a 404 front. I can think of 2 instances where I felt the wind blow and thought hmm maybe a bit gusty. I've raced in near hurricanes and just rode, like everyone else, leaning to the side. I've ridden a trispoke a few times on the front as well. I rarley feel the bike move around or wobble due to the wind. I say ride the wheels w/ the most surface area you can, front and back. I'm 6ft 155 and given the choice I'd go disc and 404 or H3 every time unless there were lots of uphills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode HED3s last year and had absolutely no problem - except 4 wishing I'd brought a disc. You should be golden with either combo, though if it does get windy opt for the H3 rear.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 1/2 wheel choice [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Eagleman is one of the only courses I know of where even I can see the value of a disc

This is the most ridiculous statement I think I have heard on this forum. A disk is ALWAYS faster so long as you can handle it. The two instances when it would NOT be worth using a disk is if #1- it is so extremely windy you cannot handle the surface area (in which case you would probably not be able to handle your bike regardless of the wheel selection) But remember that you actually can get some negative drag at some wind angles with a disk in a crosswind (i.e. the disk acts as a sail) or #2 if it is so hilly that it is worth sacrificing the aerodynamic advantage of a disk in favor of a lightweight wheelset. But remember, there is less rotational weight with a disc than a conventional wheel of similar weight b/c the wieght is spread out and not concentrated at the rim, so a wheel would have to be significantly lighter than the disk to make it "effectively" lighter.

Go with the disk rear and a trispoke or deep rim in front on this and most every other course. It can be windy at Eagleman but not anything like a bad day in Kona. And reduction in weight won't help you on this course.

But I do agree that you have no business owning a disk if you aren't going to use it at Eagleman.
Quote Reply