Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Eagleman / AC - which race can be faster
Quote | Reply
Both races seem similar to me. I’m just wondering which has the potential to produce a faster race.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman / AC - which race can be faster [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know AC all that well, but Eagleman will probably be wetsuit legal, dead flat bike, dead flat run on pavement. Weather is a total toss up, and likely to be at least humid, but can't imagine there are many courses out there that would be faster on the right day.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman / AC - which race can be faster [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ac is better weather... If you don't run in the heat well, ac is a better choice.

Downsides to AC: bike is 57 miles, (first and last half mile of the 57 is technically part of t1/t2 so you get a perfect 56, but both transitions are about 1-2 minutes slower then you'd expect).

Ac Bike has 2 or 3 times you go into downtown ac. Each time there is a turn around a couple blocks, and a mini climb back onto the highway (30-40 secs?)

Eagleman has heat almost every year and the back side of the bike has a lot of wind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both, and the answer has entirely to do with the weather.

Eagleman could be a nice June day with light winds, or it could literally be hell on earth. If it's a nice day, it is a PR course. If it's hot and windy, it's a tough day.

AC could be a nice September day, or it could literally be hell on earth (as it was the first year). If it's a nice day, it is a PR course. If it's hot, you will bake on the boardwalk.

AC is almost certain to be wetsuit legal. Eagleman is likely to be wetsuit legal, but less of a guarantee.
Last edited by: proftri: Feb 1, 20 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman / AC - which race can be faster [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like the weather dictates which course is faster.

That makes sense- how do you control the weather :)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Th

This is why I don't suggest AC. It is a three loop bike course and a complete Sh** show after the first loop. It is a flat out dangerous bike course due to the overcrowding. I will NEVER participate in this race again if it continues to be a 3 loop bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only done Eagleman (2016), and in theory it's a very fast course. I came off the bike in a great spot to get a PR, but wilted in the heat. I ran two minutes slower at Eagleman than I did when the WC was in Vegas, and that was a hilly course in the heat. Something about also being humid just sucked the life from me. As another reference, I ran nine minutes faster earlier in 2016 at 70.3 FL, which is again a pretty hilly course with temps around 80 degrees.

There is very, very little shade on the run at Eagleman - the only real stretch is about half way through the run, when you have tree cover for maybe 1/3 of a mile. Otherwise, there's no shade and you pray for clouds.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably Atlantic City. You have to be fast to stay away from the muggers, thieves, and street thugs.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply