Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ERG Mode and Entry-Level Interactive Trainers
Quote | Reply
This question pertains to ERG mode workouts when using a low-end interactive trainer (BKOOL Smart Go, Tacx Flow) that only have up to 7% incline simulation.

With these trainers, should I expect to have to shift gears during a workout when going from, say, 120W recovery intervals to 480W 10s sprint intervals? Don't know how reasonable or unreasonable this is.

The main benefit to me of owning an interactive trainer is the "set it and forget it" attitude with using ERG mode.
Quote Reply
Re: ERG Mode and Entry-Level Interactive Trainers [Dill-Ag13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont think this has much to do with the 7% limitation, but my Tacx Vortex would never get from 120 to 480 in 10 seconds. It's just to short of an interval. Maybe 30 seconds. It's really not great for the short bursts.

But as for the original question, I would think 120 to 480 is doable in one gear. But probably not a lot more.
Quote Reply
Re: ERG Mode and Entry-Level Interactive Trainers [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
I dont think this has much to do with the 7% limitation, but my Tacx Vortex would never get from 120 to 480 in 10 seconds. It's just to short of an interval. Maybe 30 seconds. It's really not great for the short bursts.

But as for the original question, I would think 120 to 480 is doable in one gear. But probably not a lot more.

Yeah, on a vortex, you would definitely want to 'help it out' with a jump like that.
I would probably be in the little ring, middle of the cassette at 120, then just shift the front. That will throw on much of the difference and the trainer will do the rest over time.
Quote Reply
Re: ERG Mode and Entry-Level Interactive Trainers [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, sounds like it’s not limited by the “incline” but by the reaction speed.
Quote Reply