Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:
Thomas, did you find the the Enve out performed the other tires at 0 and 10 degrees with the 23 mm tire? And if so, what 23 mm tire did you test? Do you have a link for the results?

I kept the data private out of respect to the donors of the crowd fund. I am looking at making a post and releasing the data now that the season is passed. While I am a pretty transparent myself and I don't like holding anything, I felt it was important to give those people something.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't like brown noses and brown wheels, thus ENVE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:
Any info yet as to how the Enve wheel compares to the new Zipp 858?

im very curious of this as well.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Herbert and All,

Herbert wrote: "I don't like brown noses and brown wheels, thus ENVE"

Enigmatic? ..... do you not like Zipp? .... or not like Enve? or is it ..... just not like brown noses and brown wheels?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas,

I'm trying to decide on whether to keep my HED Jet 9+ front wheel with Conti Attack or go with an Enve 7.8 front wheel with a 23 Corsa Speed. Any thoughts? My bike is a 2nd gen Speed Concept. Thanks.

William Thomas
2017 California State Masters 40-44 and Elite 1/2 (Overall) State TT Champion
Exercise & Environmental Exercise Physiology- CSU-Fullerton
Owner-Ergogenic Sports Nutrition (ST15 for 15% discount)
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [wthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wthomas wrote:
Thomas,

I'm trying to decide on whether to keep my HED Jet 9+ front wheel with Conti Attack or go with an Enve 7.8 front wheel with a 23 Corsa Speed. Any thoughts? My bike is a 2nd gen Speed Concept. Thanks.

Are you having any specific issues (ie, don't want that deep) that are present that are making you contemplate the move? The JET 9+ with Conti Attack is very fast. How much does money matter? What do you use for training wheel? The Enve is very wide at the brake and most training wheels are going to need a lot of adjustment. It is no secret I really like the HED wheels. At this point I am really big fan of HED JET+ for versatility and price but yeah, I really suggest to people the 6. It is faster than the 9 out to 5 degrees as well depending on the data set.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I'm not having issues. Just trying to squeeze as much speed as possible out of my rig. I know that the Corsa Speed is the fastest tire and I presume mates better with the wider brake track on the Enve. As you know, the HED has a wider ID, but narrower brake track. My Conti Attack is almost identical mounted (25mm) to the brake track width on the HED. You think the 6 is faster too? Thanks.

William Thomas
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [wthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wthomas wrote:
No, I'm not having issues. Just trying to squeeze as much speed as possible out of my rig. I know that the Corsa Speed is the fastest tire and I presume mates better with the wider brake track on the Enve. As you know, the HED has a wider ID, but narrower brake track. My Conti Attack is almost identical mounted (25mm) to the brake track width on the HED. You think the 6 is faster too? Thanks.

It really just depends on the wind angles and the day but I guess as a TT State Champion you need to split hairs so these could be important details. Did Jim ever come out with his data on the fastest tire for the Enve? He said he had a smokin fast combo for that rim. I do like the 6+, but if you are going for state championships I can see how a deeper 70+ mm could sneak out some extra aeroness. Given your circumstances I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Enve 7, the question is which tire. I can say that in limited testing we did the 23mm still tested faster than the 25mm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what estimate time difference in an Iron distance is in ENVE 6.7 vs 7.8 or is the 7.8 a marketing stradegy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps it is the tire choice that makes the difference in drag. You found the 23 mm tire in the Enve was faster at 0 to 10 degrees but earlier in this thread Enve's graph shows the 25 mm to be better. Also its interesting that Enve shows on their website the 7.8 in the tunnel in a Cervelo P5 but my understanding is that a 25 front tire won't fit a P5. I have to find out what Jim's magical fix was. It looks like Amber Neben was riding an Enve 7.8 in her P5-3. Wonder what tire width she was on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I havent talked to Jim, although I’ve put in a phone call and IM’d him this week. I really need to get fitted first and foremost. To date, it’s been an “eyeball aero” and what felt fairly comfortable approach. I know I’m giving up a good chunk of drag watts.

William Thomas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim never clarified his post. I've asked multiple times but he hasn't responded. My understanding of his comments was that a tire that measured 28 mm when mounted, made that wheel come alive. No idea if that took crr into account in addition to cda.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:
Perhaps it is the tire choice that makes the difference in drag. You found the 23 mm tire in the Enve was faster at 0 to 10 degrees but earlier in this thread Enve's graph shows the 25 mm to be better. Also its interesting that Enve shows on their website the 7.8 in the tunnel in a Cervelo P5 but my understanding is that a 25 front tire won't fit a P5. I have to find out what Jim's magical fix was. It looks like Amber Neben was riding an Enve 7.8 in her P5-3. Wonder what tire width she was on?

Right and you also have a claimed weight by Enve measuring more than 100 grams of actual weights. It is entirely possible that the 25mm did test faster but as far as we know we don't have:

1) measurements of the tire width
2) which tires
3) goes with #1 but what was the PSI

I am not saying Enve is lying, I like their wheels, I really do and had a set of 7.8s, but it is part of the reason I wanted to test different width tires to see if the marketing met the math. And as a reminder according to Enve you should not use latex tubes and there goes any savings.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I am not saying Enve is lying, I like their wheels, I really do and had a set of 7.8s, but it is part of the reason I wanted to test different width tires to see if the marketing met the math. And as a reminder according to Enve you should not use latex tubes and there goes any savings.

Unless you ride Corsa Speed TLR in "tubeless mode" in which case it is not a drawback anymore. It is not what I'm doing.. but just saying it's an option to meet the warranty recommandation and have a fast tire at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim, have you seen any data on the 7.8 front with the Corsa Speed 23 or 25?

Jim@EROsports wrote:
pyf wrote:
Waooo if there is no typo on this graph, the 7.8 is the first wheelset I see that is faster with GP4000S II 700x25 clincher than with GP4000S II 700x23 clincher. Considering rolling resistance is also lower (though not by much when the tire is pressure to the section of the clincher) you really have something special here !!!

The specific numbers aren't mine to give out, but I can confirm this is absolutely the case. Repeated the results multiple times. The ENVE is sensitive to tire width, but once a 25 was installed, nothing else got all that close to it. HED, Zipp, and Knight's were part of the testing.

I have no data on the new 808's, so not a comparison to those!

For this ONE particular test. Just one rider with one bike (very important to note this), I would rank the results as:

1. ENVE 7.8
2. HED (least sensitive to tire width)

The other guys.

I think I'm okay to say the wheels were tested on a Cervelo P5-3. Now then, the 25mm Conti will not initially fit the Cervelo with the ENVE wheel (tire is too tall and rubs). A little magic was performed to get it to fit...just a little.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [MCSLC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting this old thread. Much of the discussion here centers on hypothetical or on-paper differences between these two wheelsets (7.8 vs 404/808).

Has anyone owned / ridden both (ie switched from one to the other)? What were your impressions? Which did you like better and why? I’m particularly interested in handling, road feel, and braking performance.
Last edited by: wintershade: Sep 9, 18 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Has anyone owned / ridden both (ie switched from one to the other)? What were your impressions? Which did you like better and why? I’m particularly interested in handling, road feel, and braking performance.

Not on hypothetical or on-paper differences, but real world tests, starting at 8:15 in the video: https://www.youtube.com/...10&v=h0BH3wXzhrI
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
wintershade wrote:

Not on hypothetical or on-paper differences, but real world tests, starting at 8:15 in the video: https://www.youtube.com/...10&v=h0BH3wXzhrI

Some wheel testing I actually believe! Thanks for the link.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. This is a great video.

I do wonder if tester was somewhat biased torwards the ENVEs (perhaps he personally owns them?) as he has a big silly grin on his face talking about the ENVEs and looks almost pained to speak positively about the ZIPPs.

In the test he was comparing handling of 7.8s to 808s. How would handling compare to a 404/808 combo, or even a 303/808?

I know the ENVE 7 front is a very fast wheel, but I’m worried about it on gusty days. Do people run the 8 rear with an ENVE 5 front?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike Radar only speaks highly about things they are paid for. Don't trust any of their videos.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, the ENVE 7.8 also came out on top from other independent tests besides Bike Radar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:

I do wonder if tester was somewhat biased torwards the ENVEs (perhaps he personally owns them?) as he has a big silly grin on his face talking about the ENVEs and looks almost pained to speak positively about the ZIPPs.

In the test he was comparing handling of 7.8s to 808s. How would handling compare to a 404/808 combo, or even a 303/808?

I know the ENVE 7 front is a very fast wheel, but I’m worried about it on gusty days. Do people run the 8 rear with an ENVE 5 front?

I have a set of 7.8's and I raced IMLP last year and this year IMWI this weekend and it was fairly windy out. I am 175lbs and I did notice the "huge" gust's but it really didn't blow me across the road. I would ride those wheels in just about any reasonable windy day based on the IMWI conditions now.
Last edited by: teddygram: Sep 11, 18 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:

I know at least one person who does this (not me). He bought a 7.8 set, and found the front to be too squirrelly in crosswinds, so he bought an Enve 4 to race with when he feels it's going to be windy.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I agree with this overall sentiment, the results reached here were not that surprising, which, in my mind, gave a little more credence to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:

That test was an abomination. The deltas were way, way, way too large. I've seen what I consider to be reputable data comparing the Enve 7.8, Hed Jet 6 Black, and Roval CLX 64 (granted with a 23c tire on all of them). The three were within a few watts of each other... not 10+ watts. Too bad Bike Radar didn't publish their raw data. I also disagree with some of their subjective assessments as well. I own a pair of Zipp 404 NSWs and I can tell you they brake every bit as well as a set of aluminum rims wet or dry.
Quote Reply

Prev Next