Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[yes, know this was an ancient post]

pink\ I heard that you find the enve brake track so good that you just ride with a rear brake and little to no front brake in wet weather...

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
Waooo if there is no typo on this graph, the 7.8 is the first wheelset I see that is faster with GP4000S II 700x25 clincher than with GP4000S II 700x23 clincher. Considering rolling resistance is also lower (though not by much when the tire is pressure to the section of the clincher) you really have something special here !!!

The specific numbers aren't mine to give out, but I can confirm this is absolutely the case. Repeated the results multiple times. The ENVE is sensitive to tire width, but once a 25 was installed, nothing else got all that close to it. HED, Zipp, and Knight's were part of the testing.

I have no data on the new 808's, so not a comparison to those!

For this ONE particular test. Just one rider with one bike (very important to note this), I would rank the results as:

1. ENVE 7.8
2. HED (least sensitive to tire width)

The other guys.

I think I'm okay to say the wheels were tested on a Cervelo P5-3. Now then, the 25mm Conti will not initially fit the Cervelo with the ENVE wheel (tire is too tall and rubs). A little magic was performed to get it to fit...just a little.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [Lar Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My gf just got a pair of enve 7.8 and I too can't for the fucking life of me get tires on those things. Took me 2 hours to my continental tt on the front. I also tried a gp4k and a vittoria corsa thinking maybe the gpTT ran small but they were no better. Is this normal? The whole reason she went with clinchers is so she could change a flat in an ironman should it happen and i don't see any real chance of that happening with these wheels. I'm putting off getting the last bit of tire on the back wheel until I've cooled off.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
My gf just got a pair of enve 7.8 and I too can't for the fucking life of me get tires on those things.

You guys need to get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lar Dog,

There are a couple things to discuss.

1- Yes, many do run the 7.8 tubeless. For certain most of the ENVE Pros are. With a high end tire like a Schwalbe or Vittoria Tubeless tire the rolling efficiency is phenomenal and the likelihood of flatting is greatly reduced. The burrs you mentioned, if stuck in a tubeless tire, would be unlikely to cause a flat.

2- The 7.8 is optimized for use with tubeless setups. While it's completely ok to run a GP4000 w/ innertube, you have to absolutely follow a process for removal/installation.
First, tubeless rims have a bead lock. This locking feature is there to ensure an airtight seal and prevent tire from coming off the rim in the instance of a fast deflation. However, this same feature will also make it very near impossible to install and remove your tire if 100% of the tire bead is not off the shoulder and in the center channel of the rim.

When using inner tubes, you need to make sure that no part of the tube is pinched under/between tire and rim. If you do this, a flat repair takes no longer than any other rim.

Here is a video walking through tubeless set up. Just need to follow same steps but adding a tube is just another step. https://vimeo.com/...oad-tubeless-install

If this is still causing you a headache. Call customer service. 18014763363
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [ENVE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for the very thorough explanation. This helps me a lot. I was dissuaded by my LBS to go tubeless as they said tire choice is so limited. Is there any advantage between the Vittoria and the Schwable Tubless?

Thanks again.,,,

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not very practical for a race to carry a large gadget like that

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of us are riding the Schwalbe as tubeless road tire of choice. We prefer the tread pattern for aero dynamic and wet weather performance to the Vittoria...
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [ENVE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that video does not show the guy actually getting the tire on. It cuts right as he's using a lever and the other end is clearly just rolling off as he uses the lever. And it is absolutely more difficult to get the 3 tires I mentioned on or off these wheels even when they are properly installed. I've emailed you a couple of times about it with no response which is why I posted on here.
For reference, I put this same contiTT on my HED, my zipp 404, my zipp 808 and an off brand china wheel no problem. I know that tubeless is unlikely to flat but that doesn't matter if it happens anyway. Do you have a tire recommendation solely based upon the ease of getting it installed? At this point i don't care about saving 30sec of rolling resistance when an unchangeable flat costs my gf 45 minutes in kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We will get a video made showing the installation with tubes and I'll have it posted here.

Regarding tires... no two are the same. Schwalbe seem to be the easiest in my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
My gf just got a pair of enve 7.8 and I too can't for the fucking life of me get tires on those things. Took me 2 hours to my continental tt on the front. I also tried a gp4k and a vittoria corsa thinking maybe the gpTT ran small but they were no better. Is this normal? The whole reason she went with clinchers is so she could change a flat in an ironman should it happen and i don't see any real chance of that happening with these wheels. I'm putting off getting the last bit of tire on the back wheel until I've cooled off.

I got Enve 7.8 last week, put a 23mm TT on the front and a 25mm TT on rear with Latex tubes. While it is harder then most it was def doable. Had to use tire levers for the last little bit to get those tires on but found was not even close the latex tubes so no issues. First ride over 10 min was on the race course. Happy to report handling on these wheels are the best I have seen.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
[

The specific numbers aren't mine to give out, but I can confirm this is absolutely the case. Repeated the results multiple times. The ENVE is sensitive to tire width, but once a 25 was installed, nothing else got all that close to it. HED, Zipp, and Knight's were part of the testing.

I have no data on the new 808's, so not a comparison to those!

For this ONE particular test. Just one rider with one bike (very important to note this), I would rank the results as:

1. ENVE 7.8
2. HED (least sensitive to tire width)

The other guys.

I think I'm okay to say the wheels were tested on a Cervelo P5-3. Now then, the 25mm Conti will not initially fit the Cervelo with the ENVE wheel (tire is too tall and rubs). A little magic was performed to get it to fit...just a little.

I would have to go and look at the results but the 25mm tire didn't perform that badly from the Wind Tunnel at 0 but when you threw higher angles at it was a much bigger difference. Granted this was also wheel only testing but the 25mm tire did not beat a 23mm at either 0 or 10.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are those replacing your 808/S9 combo or are you still going to run a disc? I’m making the big jump next year from tubs to clichers replacing my HED Stinger 9/Disc Combo. Been interested in the Enve 7.8s and a Dash Gretchen but the waiting list is ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
peace242000 wrote:
My gf just got a pair of enve 7.8 and I too can't for the fucking life of me get tires on those things.

You guys need to get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I got one of these specifically to help get a pair of GP TTs onto my new 7.8s. It still look me a good half-hour per tire to put them on, even with this gadget.

Hopefully if I ever flat in a race fixing the tire wont be *as* bad as the first time since they surely will stretch a bit. But damn, that was a really difficult tire install.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
peace242000 wrote:

I got Enve 7.8 last week, put a 23mm TT on the front and a 25mm TT on rear with Latex tubes. While it is harder then most it was def doable. Had to use tire levers for the last little bit to get those tires on but found was not even close the latex tubes so no issues. First ride over 10 min was on the race course. Happy to report handling on these wheels are the best I have seen.

Similar experience here. Got my 7.8s just over a week ago. Put a 25mm GP TT with latex tubes on. It was a struggle to get the tires on, but other than that these wheels are amazing. Rode it once for 2hrs a week before IMLou, then at IMLou. No trouble there.

One question though. Has anyone noticed the wheels don't seem to sit "evenly" in the dropouts? My training wheels and my old Reynolds race wheels sat just fine in my dropouts, but the 7.8s actually were "crooked" and canted to the right. They rubbed the drive side chain stay. I had to literally adjust the bolts holding my left rear dropout to bring the wheel in line. I thought something might have shifted so thought little of it, but then when I went to put my trainer wheel on it, I noticed the gears were making quite a bit of noise. I suspect I am going to have to always fiddle with the rear dropout bolts every time I switch wheels. That's not much fun...
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Are those replacing your 808/S9 combo or are you still going to run a disc? I’m making the big jump next year from tubs to clichers replacing my HED Stinger 9/Disc Combo. Been interested in the Enve 7.8s and a Dash Gretchen but the waiting list is ridiculous.

No, I will never replace my disc unless the race does not allow me to run a disc. I will sell off my 808/808 combo. I will play around with some different tire widths on the front enve and try to find whats best for me.

Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not have that issue.

Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:

One question though. Has anyone noticed the wheels don't seem to sit "evenly" in the dropouts? My training wheels and my old Reynolds race wheels sat just fine in my dropouts, but the 7.8s actually were "crooked" and canted to the right. They rubbed the drive side chain stay. I had to literally adjust the bolts holding my left rear dropout to bring the wheel in line. I thought something might have shifted so thought little of it, but then when I went to put my trainer wheel on it, I noticed the gears were making quite a bit of noise. I suspect I am going to have to always fiddle with the rear dropout bolts every time I switch wheels. That's not much fun...

Isn't that what drop out screws are for...to dial in the wheel angle relative to the frame? My training and race wheels balance differently on my rear dropouts so it takes a few minor tweaks to get them centered.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. My bike doesn't have dropout screws, per se, since it has vertical dropouts, but the whole dropout is on a sliding frame held by two bolts. Anyway I found it odd that it needed that much adjustment. Just means I am messing with the bolts every time I move my bike from trainer to road...
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I would make my decision based on the following
1. What is your average speed and how windy are the conditions you would encounter. The Zipp might be better in windier conditions and at lower speeds. ENVE for calm conditions and 25+ mph.
2. How wide a tire do you plan to ride? I think the Zipp has a wider internal distance between the brake tracks, so it would be better with wider tires (25 or wider)
3. Warranty on the ENVE is better. If you ride on roads with lots of potholes you might appreciate this.
4. While Zipp has a new hub design, the hubs on the ENVE wheels have always been always been sort of the gold standard.
5. Zipp probably wins the wet weather braking battle.

I've never ridden the Zipps, but can vouch for the second portion of #1 above. My 7.8s really start humming around 21-22mph+. Below that, I'd say they're comparable with my old Reynolds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you tell a difference between the 808s and the 7.8? I’ve too been riding 808/super 9 combo but the thought of 7.8 and maybe going tubeless has me intrigued. Use the disc for races < 4000 ft climbing, use 7.8 for hillier and no disc races perhaps. I had thoughts about the 808 nsw but they are that much faster than firecrest I have now, though better brake surface.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Can you tell a difference between the 808s and the 7.8? I’ve too been riding 808/super 9 combo but the thought of 7.8 and maybe going tubeless has me intrigued. Use the disc for races < 4000 ft climbing, use 7.8 for hillier and no disc races perhaps. I had thoughts about the 808 nsw but they are that much faster than firecrest I have now, though better brake surface.

I only had a FC808, so can only speak for that version. I did not even feel touched by the Kona winds this year, so I only have sample size of one ride (not a big sample side). I guess the debatable thing is which is faster a NSW808 or Enve7.8 and if the Enve handles better then the 808 but looses some of the speed is it worth it? IDK think it would depend on the course, and you may be splitting hairs on which is more aero. My conclusion from one ride would be the 7.8 handles much better and accepts a wider tire better then a FC808 for me it makes it a better wheel for me.

Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any info yet as to how the Enve wheel compares to the new Zipp 858?
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas, did you find the the Enve out performed the other tires at 0 and 10 degrees with the 23 mm tire? And if so, what 23 mm tire did you test? Do you have a link for the results?
Quote Reply

Prev Next