Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dura-Ace vs. TRP hydraulic disc brakes, which to get?
Quote | Reply
So seems I'm getting a disc brake TT bike whether I want one or not. My bike (2017 Felt IA3) was totaled in Nice and Felt is offering me the 2020 IA Advanced Frameset for 50% off as a crash replacement through CO Multisport here in Boulder. So disc brakes.

I'm getting it set up with Ultegra Di2. If i get the TRP HDT910 brakes vs. Shimano DA ST-R9180 it looks like I'd save close to $400. Are the DA brakes worth it? Why?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Oct 15, 19 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace vs. TRP hydraulic disc brakes, which to get? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have TRP Spyre mechanical disc on my TR+. It wasn't an cost issue obviously, it was an ease of assembly and disassembly of the bike for travelling. Maybe something to consider if you plan to travel with the bike and don't want to worry about the hydraulics. So far so good on braking performance. I did XTri Canadaman with that bike an there was a lot of climbing and descending on that course.
Last edited by: swimslow: Oct 15, 19 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace vs. TRP hydraulic disc brakes, which to get? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh. I forgot the TT standard brake levers were so freakin' expensive when I did my rim brake Di2 upgrade. You would give up the integrated Di2 buttons, if that is important. (It was to me, and one of the key reasons I chose Di2 over eTap for my TT bike.)

So... don't forget to add-in the cost of a pair of remote Di2 shift buttons to get a better apples-to-apples cost comparison.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Oct 15, 19 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace vs. TRP hydraulic disc brakes, which to get? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point - for some reason I was thinking the TRP brakes included Di2 buttons - I guess because they are the brakes on the 2020 IA Advanced Ultegra Di2 bike.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Oct 15, 19 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Their specs say they use the SW-R600 secondary shifter on the right hand base bar. That is kind of suck-ish. (And I love my Felt.)
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace vs. TRP hydraulic disc brakes, which to get? [swimslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRP Spyre are also lighter than most hydraulic systems, and it's easier to avoid pad rub on the rotors because there's more space between the pads. Compressionless housing (Yokuna & Jagwire both make nice options) will narrow the braking performance gap between mechanical and hydraulic brakes as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace vs. TRP hydraulic disc brakes, which to get? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhh, missed that. r600? is that an OEM only? I can only find the r9150.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace vs. TRP hydraulic disc brakes, which to get? [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard over and over again that hydraulic disc brakes are far superior to cable. Do you disagree? If I have to go disc, I want good ones.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I have heard over and over again that hydraulic disc brakes are far superior to cable. Do you disagree? If I have to go disc, I want good ones.

Hydraulic are generally superior to mechanical. TRP Spyre set up with compressionless housing are among the very best mechanical discs you can get. So, my subjective opinion is that there is a difference and the Shimano are better, but it's not some vast divide. The question is more are the TRP good enough for your use case, and what can you do with the weight and $$$ you're saving.

Yes, I own both Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and TRP Spyres.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace vs. TRP hydraulic disc brakes, which to get? [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool, thanks.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is an old, prior-generation Di2 part. I think it was intended as auxiliary shifter button, like climber buttons, for road bikes. I have never heard of anyone using it on a TT bike before.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Having gone from Ultegra and 9100 rim brake to TRP Mechanical Disc it's a night and day difference in braking. If I had a bike box alan triathlon easy fit I would have gone with the hydro most likely, but I'm not going to disassemble my aero bars, remove the hydraulic fluid, then reassembling the bike, take hydraulic fluid with me, bleed the brakes, test the brakes everytime I race. I don't have patience or ability to cope with the stress before race day when traveling. I'll take a slight trade off is braking performance and lighter weight versus that scenario pre and post race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally think the Di2 is worth the added price. The TRPs are HUGE and pretty heavy...they are also very long and you cant cut back the bars to make up for it so your basebar reach gets thrown outta wack.

I do like the long lever but I think they generally look pretty bad as well...Coupled with the sprint shifter only allowing you to move 1 derailler from one side...I vote Shimano all the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know if the Shimano brake/shift lever is compatible with the TRP, i.e. can you TRP caliper be used with the Shimano hydraulic system?
Last edited by: dalava: Oct 15, 19 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace vs. TRP hydraulic disc brakes, which to get? [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Do you know if the Shimano brake/shift lever is compatible with the TRP?

If I got shimano levers I would get shimano calipers and vice-versa.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ed. You're in luck. There just happens to be a set of the TRP's up on facebook, including rotors, and including the built in di2 shifting, for $100 total. I'll PM you the link so no one else on here snags it. These are the ones I'm running on my Shadow-R and they work very well, but they are heavy as others mentioned. Also I don't know why people say you can't cut down the basebar to keep the reach short, I guess it depends on the basebar. I was able to trim back the hoods on my Vision Metron TFA bar so the hoods are about as short as possible. Check out more pics in the TriRig album here.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply