Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dura-Ace Spindle - Is it removable?
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to remove (either with or without replacement) the spindle from a DA crankset? Maybe by cooling the steel spindle and heating the aluminum around it?

Also, does anyone know what kind of steel the spindle is made out of?

Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace Spindle - Is it removable? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since it is a manufactured item that started as at least two different pieces, and since steel and AL alloy have different melting points, I imagine that it is, at least in theory, in some way "removable". But, l think that the real question is, is it removable without damage to the AL alloy crank section? I very much doubt it.

Any reason that you want to remove it ? Maybe there is another far easier solution to your issue ?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 23, 19 12:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DISCLAIMER: I offer this only as information, and DO NOT know for sure if my theory is correct...

My guess is that it is threaded into the steel collar ring that sits at the insertion point. I suspect that steel collar ring is heat pressed in, and it is likely splined to bite into the aluminum spider body. I bet this is the case so that the steel spindle mates to a steel ring in order to handle the load and not rip out of the aluminum. If the spindle was simply pressed in and not threaded, I bet it would just twist out or may pull out when under heavy load.

So, the question now becomes is it reverse threaded into the steel collar ring, just like how one pedal is reverse threaded?

If it were me, I would gently hit the insertion point area with a propane torch for a minute, and then try unscrewing the spindle in each direction until you feel it release one way.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you want to ?

I'd be nervous that it will be loose afterwards - whilst I don't know the design details, sometimes fits into Aluminium is designed so the Al yields (not just an elestic fit).
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace Spindle - Is it removable? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Since it is a manufactured item that started as at least two different pieces, and since steel and AL alloy have different melting points, I imagine that it is, at least in theory, in some way "removable". But, l think that the real question is, is it removable without damage to the AL alloy crank section? I very much doubt it.

Any reason that you want to remove it ? Maybe there is another far easier solution to your issue ?

My suspicion is the same. I haven't found a replacement spindle sold separately either, so it may be impossible to source anyway.

Taugen wrote:
DISCLAIMER: I offer this only as information, and DO NOT know for sure if my theory is correct...

My guess is that it is threaded into the steel collar ring that sits at the insertion point. I suspect that steel collar ring is heat pressed in, and it is likely splined to bite into the aluminum spider body. I bet this is the case so that the steel spindle mates to a steel ring in order to handle the load and not rip out of the aluminum. If the spindle was simply pressed in and not threaded, I bet it would just twist out or may pull out when under heavy load.

So, the question now becomes is it reverse threaded into the steel collar ring, just like how one pedal is reverse threaded?

If it were me, I would gently hit the insertion point area with a propane torch for a minute, and then try unscrewing the spindle in each direction until you feel it release one way.

The insertion point has a rubber gasket or ring so the torch might do some damage there. I hope someone braver than I has tried this and could chime in!

BobAjobb wrote:
Why do you want to ?
I'd be nervous that it will be loose afterwards - whilst I don't know the design details, sometimes fits into Aluminium is designed so the Al yields (not just an elestic fit).

Good point. If the aluminum was deformed over a steel collar, then it won't come out without damage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you want to remove it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace Spindle - Is it removable? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Why do you want to remove it?

I won't get into the details here, but I am making something out of the spindle. The crank arms are fine so it would be neat if I could have used them on my TT bike since they are shorter than my current crank arms and short seems to be all the rage these days.

Does anyone know whether it is stainless or just coated steel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Motor?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can buy 24mm and 30mm from SRM or PM city They go to the Origin power meter. Maybe just rethread as needed?
https://powermetercity.com/...replacement-spindle/
Last edited by: mike s: Feb 23, 19 17:25
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace Spindle - Is it removable? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good replacement candidate, but need to get the spindle out first
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Does anyone know whether it is stainless or just coated steel?

Don't know for sure, but I imagine that, given its environmental exposure, that the spindle would likely some version of stainless steel. Also appears to be surface hardened as well.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 23, 19 18:16
Quote Reply
Re: Dura-Ace Spindle - Is it removable? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply