Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [zoomrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its called "trickle-thru economics"

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought of another one. Rode to a duathlon race and at T1 realised I had misplaced my bicycle helmet. Ran around an eventually borrowed a huge one with flowers on me that didn't fit either my head or my style. Managed to do the race.

When I got home I realised my helmet was there and I had simply rode to the race without one thinking I had it on. Dumbass
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least you didn't ride there just thinking you were on your bike. That could have been a sign of worse things.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a dietary breakdown and ate potato chips and beer 4 days before my very first sprint triathlon. In other words i'm eating beer and potato chips at this very moment.
Last edited by: Swimfanatic234: Jun 24, 14 23:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The dumbest/stupidest thing I ever did was due to me trying to not be forgetful. It all started the night before. I normally fill my water bottles and add all my mix the night before a race and store them in the fridge. Well, I had an olympic tri where I decided to sleep in a hotel just so I didn't have to wake up even earlier to drive. I forgot to bring water and didn't want to use the sink to fill my bottles, so instead I just put my mix (EFS/Carbo Pro) into all my bottles and put them in the cages on my bike. Long story short, I completely forgot to put water into my bottles when I got transition in the morning and didn't realize it until about a mile into the ride. I went the whole 30 miles with ZERO and I mean zero water and water/mix(no bike course aid stations). Rolled into T2 like i just survived the Sahara Desert and was screaming for water. Fun times.
Last edited by: DY3VERSITY: Jun 25, 14 1:03
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
d00d wrote:
First triathlon...an Xterra offroad.

Second to last out of water, kind of out of whack, and jump on MTB. Almost a quarter mile into the bike course when I hear, "You need a helmet!" I had to go back to T1 and put on my helmet....

You're lucky you weren't DQ'd for that.

haha, well, they probably looked at my brown tshirt, umbro soccer shorts, and all around newbie setup and probably felt pity for me...
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [Swimfanatic234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimfanatic234 wrote:
Had a dietary breakdown and ate potato chips and beer 4 days before my very first sprint triathlon. In other words i'm eating beer and potato chips at this very moment.

For a sprint, you really don't need to carb load....You still have time to offset that by eating fruit today. I'd go for the strawberry cheesecake or cherry pie. Guessing your seat is too high but don't change it the week before your 1st sprint. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This past w/e at MT...forgot my gels for the run and then didn't take any of the 100 I was offered by the volunteers (they were fantastic)..basically no nutrition on the run...what a jack a$$.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which dumbest thing would you like to hear? I did a few of them over the years. Here's some of my favs.

1) at my first ever tri I showed up with a 7 mm scuba suit after being told that triathletes swim faster in wetsuits.

2) forgot to fill my water bottles on the bike one time.

3) did the entire race with my speedo on inside out. Didn't realize it until the race was over when all my friends were laughing at me..

4) ran out of T2 with my helmet on

5) Did a TT one time and forgot to wear my timing chip

6) Couldn't remember where my bike was parked at T1. Lost several minutes on that blunder.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first tri was an Xterra as well.

Flew in the night before to my GF's... on race day I forgot my goggles and helmet, but was incredibly lucky to find people willing to lend spares.

I also rode the course on her hybrid... arms felt like jelly by the time I hit T2.

And of course it was my first open water swim -- sprinted out the first 150 or so only to get stampeded by the rest of the field and reduced to breastroke/intense fear of drowning.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [LukeW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot to mention that her bike didn't have any cages on it, but for some reason I wasn't concerned about on-course hydration... I remember seeing a dropped bottle on the course and considering stopping to pick it up and take a swig.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done more than a bucketful of dumb things in many years of racing, so I'd like to add a third Honourable Mention...

deciding back when "drink 8 glasses of water a day" was all the rage...to drink 8 when I got up in the morning before a Half-Iron.
It was freaking cold to start with, and I swear I peed four or five times on the bike. Nothing in the swim. Just the bike.
It just kept coming and coming and coming.
Ended up with a fantastic run that day, but the bike was wickedly mediocre, probably from all the extra "water" I was carrying!

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  1. Showed up to my first tri 5 minutes before transition closed
  2. Doing my first tri on a mountain bike
  3. Attempting to do an oly with no bike/run training (I finished!)
  4. Trying to do a flying bike mount on my second tri this year w/o practicing it beforehand (it worked at the first tri this year so it must work again)

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [DunnRight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First ever tri was just under 2 years ago, a HIM, and I decided that the run with no socks was worth it to save some T2 time. Wasn't enjoying that decision by the end

70.3 World Champs in Vegas last year I wore a brand new swim-skin I'd never even tried on before. It was so tight across the chest I couldn't breathe properly, and thus my swim sucked even more than normal

Very few people escaped without a decent wetsuit hickie at IM SA this year!

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply

Prev Next