Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dumb Question: Do lighter color helmets keep you noggin cooler?
Quote | Reply
OK admittedly a dumb question but need to buy a new lid and always assumed lighter colors would keep me cooler. However given the hard cell foam used to make helmets, it occured to me it is the perfect insulator. Does the plastic color skin effect temp all all? I also figured all helmet interiors are pretty much dark colors any way so perhaps outside color does not matter. I have to learn not to worry about such silly details!

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb Question: Do lighter color helmets keep you noggin cooler? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, this is going back about 5 years, but I did an unscientific test with two old helmets of mine. In an old job, I had access to a laser temp. gauge that could take skin temps of materials without touching them. I left my old black helmet and my newer white helmet in the sun for several hours on a hot sunny day (~80° F if I recall correctly). The skin temp on the exterior of the black helmet was a bit hotter. (~5° F, I believe). What does that mean? Maybe nothing when wind is factored in, but I've used white helmets ever since.

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to such neat equipment so I can't reproduce the test in more "real world" conditions. Perhaps someone else has done something similar?

-Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb Question: Do lighter color helmets keep you noggin cooler? [trimanjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the ventilation will make more of a difference. White helmet poorly vented I think would be warmer than a well ventilated dark color helmet. That being said and living in the desert where it was 100 today, I have a well ventilated off white helmet.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Do lighter color helmets keep you noggin cooler? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience color isn't that big of factor. In clothing white can definetly be better than black, but with a helmet, the plastic (or sometimes carbon) cover on the helmet doesn't seem to transfer heat through the styrofoam (probably because it's such a good insulator.) I always go for dark helmets because they are easier to match with outfits, and they don't show age, wear and tear, or dirt as baddly.

-the only dumb question.... is the one I ask
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb Question: Do lighter color helmets keep you noggin cooler? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the main issue with helmet choice is that lighter colors offer greater visibility when riding on roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb Question: Do lighter color helmets keep you noggin cooler? [Todd Scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a black Louis Garneau Prologue helmet that wrinkled in the first race I used it at. It was VERY hot and my core temp was through the roof during the bike leg. When I went to gather my stuff up after the run, the outer shell of the helmet was wrinkled and blazing hot to the touch. I agree with previous posts that venting is most important, but I'll never use a black helmet again. Heck, I'm in Florida. It's too hot for dark colors really, in anything. Try wearing a black jersey in August in Florida. You'll cook.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMike,

Nothing dumb about the question. Lighter colors are traditionally cooler then darker colors.

-Jim-

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply