Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Duke Blue Devil Triathlon
Quote | Reply
Did anybody do this race? Any feedback on the race venue, volunteers, course, etc.? Really interested if anybody has done it both years now and what they think about it.

Thanks.

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Duke Blue Devil Triathlon [dukeisno1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the complete race last year, my first venture into iron distance racing. I had a great experience, finish time wasn't nothing to brag about 13:54.20, but i am no speed demon and have only been at this game 2 1/2 years. This year i did the bike portion for a relay team. I finished the bike almost 35 minutes faster than last year. Did this with minimal training, so i was pretty proud, it has been a rough year personaly and i did not have the time to focus on doing the complet race solo. But after being there and seeing almost all the finishers cross the line, I stuck around until 11:00 pm, I am already laying out a training plan for next year.
The best part is this race is for a great cause, it is a NON PROFIT race. All but $25 dollars of your entry fee is a tax deduction. Next year, i bet this race has close to 500 entrants.
Both the male and female champs defended there titles. Plus the female champ, Sarah Weaver, I believe was the defending champ at Great Floridian, and chose to defend her Duke Blue Devil Title over the Great Floridian, that must say something about the race.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Joe,

It's a great race. I did the race both years. The venue is excellent. The swim is in a nice lake that is closed to power boats. The bike course is through rolling countryside. There are some chipseal roads out there, but you've got to have those to appreciate the smooth roads, right? The run course was changed this year to stay entirely within the park. It was tougher physically (LOTS of short, steep hills), but better mentally and safer. The course is not a PR-type of course, but it's not a widowmaker either.

The race director, Bill Scott, has got to be the hardest working man in triathlon. He puts on a lot (and I mean a lot) of races and he's pretty much got the system perfected.

Volunteers are mostly jaycees and cancer center volunteers. They were well-trained, numerous, and friendly.

The only real glitch this year was a lack of lighting in the park for the runners finishing north of 12 hours. That will be fixed for next year.

I highly, highly recommend the race. I've done GFT also. I think GFT is a slightly easier course, but I think Duke is a slightly better race. If you're interested in doing it some day, I recommend you do it next year. The rumor is that if they don't fill up (500 people) next year or at least come close, they will pull the plug for 2005.

Hope this helps,

John
Last edited by: john: Oct 16, 03 6:06
Quote Reply
It was my first IM [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and I have no complaints.

The swim was in a quiet cove on the lake, with a 68 degree water temp, quite pleasant with a wetsuit.

There was plenty of room in transition, and things didn't get jammed up. It was also the first time I've ever seen the type of bike racks they were using. Instead of hanging your bike by the levers or seat, you put the back wheel in a slot to hold it up. I liked them.

The bike course is flat to rolling. Depending on what you're used to riding, it can be tough or easy. My training is in hilly terrain, and I though the course was relatively flat. Some of the others I talked to though it was hilly -- it depends on what you're used to. Traffic is minimal once you're off of Hwy. 50, and is well-controlled in any case.

The run is pretty tough mentally, with 5 laps on a 5.2 mile course. The hills inside the park are steep but short. I had to walk the last three of the loops because of stomach bloating, and kind of enjoyed the darkness.

The volunteers were abundant, cheerful and helpful. I'm guessing there were almost as many volunteers as racers.

As a bonus, the people in the med tent are Duke med students, so I got some really good medical care for free! Next time, I'll hope to avoid this part of the race.

The only thing I'm changing for the next time I do it is the hotel. I stayed in the Millenium (host hotel) this year, and thought it overpriced for what you get, and too far from the race site. Raleigh would probably be closer.

Overall, 4 stars for the race.

Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my 4th Iron Distance race (with no repeats) and it was one of the best organized. I would agree with all the other comments but would add the following:

The swim lake was very nice with a huge beach so everybody could spread out at the start.

The bike course was very well patrolled with police at every major intersection. There was a problem at 1 aid station where the volunteers didn’t show. All the supplies were there so it was self-service on the 1st loop! By the 2nd time around somebody stepped up and helped everybody get what they needed.

The run in the park was great as they really controlled the traffic but……..the 5 loops with the constant hills take their toll on you by the end of the day. You endure the pain once but then you realize you get to do it over and over and over and over.

Overall the Devil is a very good race to earn your Iron. Bill Scott and his team did a great job of putting the race together.

Rich G.

Maybe, just maybe the devil had some input on the design of that run course!

Rich G.
Proud member of the Geritol wave!
Last edited by: RichG: Oct 15, 03 15:02
Quote Reply