Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Duct Tape for blister prevention?
Quote | Reply
I'm considering it for this weekend's marathon in Ottawa. It's got SUPER hot here in the past week (record highs for May) and it's now showing a high of 29C for Sunday. I blister pretty good in warm weather (mainly on the balls of my feet). I've always used just Bodyglide and Vaseline for the feet, but I'm actually considering something like duct tape or moleskin to just go over that part of my foot. Anyone have experience with this? At IMWA last Dec I was WRECKED on the run (more of a walk) because of the heat's effect on my feet, and finally pulled into a med station and had my feet taped up and it was like night and day. Still painful, because the blisters were fully formed and ready, but definitely helped alleviate the pain...
Quote Reply
Re: Duct Tape for blister prevention? [Bizzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water and two shoe changes can make the duct tape roll up in a corner and make the blister problem worse. I've done used duct tape my prior life to prevent a hot spot from becoming a blister when on a long forced march, so I know it works. But in triathlon, I see it as more of a potental problem, if you don't take your time to make sure it is right. I'd use Sports Slick, vaseline, etc before duct tape.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RockTape...round the edges and place it right over the blister after you drain the fluid. Will be healed within 2 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Duct Tape for blister prevention? [bswan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is prevention, not to treat anything!

Also, this is not a tri... make a diff? Hopefully my feet stay dry for the most of the race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did something like this once. I had crashed in a previous race and tore up the side of my foot. I made a duct tape bandage by using one larger and one smaller square back to back (so I didn't actually have the sticky surface on the wound). I slathered aquaphor on the wound and applied the bandage. I applied it when the skin was absolutely dry. It worked perfectly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used duct tape on the sides of my ankles and around toes, and it works great in prevention-mode for multiple hour hikes and backcountry skiing. But, I think it would cause additional problems on the ball of the feet after an hour or two because it would ball up like the other poster mentioned. Doesn't sound like you'll have time to test it, though. If you try it for the first time on race day, I'd pay close attention and be prepared to stop to retape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lots of experience with blisters and I LOVE duct tape.

use crazy glue to glue the duct take over your blister.

before you glue the duct tape over the blister, prep the blister site itself.

Depending on the size and skin/no-skin characteristics of the blister itself, you can either crazy glue over the entire blister -- let it DRY,

and then glue the duct tape over the blister,

or you can use a gauze pad over the blister to provide additional relief.

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difficulty with the big duct tape is that it easily folds a little bit on your foot. And then you get even worse blisters then without. Make sure you glue it perfectly to the skin. Maybe try it on your next run? Otherwise you better try it on a normal day at work or so.

Why do you not use sports tape. It is easier to use.
Quote Reply
Re: Duct Tape for blister prevention? [big slow mover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the info people!

I just figured duct tape because it's the stickiest / most waterproof stuff I can think of!

What about using moleskin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the white surgical tape available at any drug store and make a couple of full turns around the front of my foot, works great, no bunching. Whatever tape you use, bring talcum powder to dust the tape before you move around, otherwise the sticky edges pick up dirt.
Quote Reply
Re: Duct Tape for blister prevention? [jkahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a nasty open wound blister overlying my Achilles where it meets the top back of shoe in the midline... considering duct tape at next weekend's race... do you apply super glue to open wounds? How long does the tape stay on when super glued?? Can you pull it off or does it fall off?

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Duct Tape for blister prevention? [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
never glue a tape to open wound.

you should put something non sticky to a wound, or weak spot in the skin. And then put the (duct) tape over it. Make sure that the tape is never glued to the wound or blister itself.

You have to pull it off, with force. Because duct tape once fixed does not let go easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Duct Tape for blister prevention? [jacknine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I use the white surgical tape available at any drug store and make a couple of full turns around the front of my foot, works great,

I made some tape constructions myself. But the one thing I am not allowed to experiment with (from a physio) is making full turns. Not around a foot, not around a leg, not around a finger. Never. You can cut off the blood flow this way, and the nasty thing is, you do not feel anything from the part that is getting no blood. A full turn of tape around a body part is something you are never supposed to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try using Nu-Skin or any of the other liquid band-aid stuff. You paint it on like rubber cement. I start putting coats of it on trouble spots a couple of days before races when I am going sockless. It it full on water proof and works great. Far more elegant solution than duct tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Duct Tape for blister prevention? [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried Nu Skin once. And only once. This stuff has alcohol in it. I did not react well to painting it on an open wound.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried moleskin before I made the duct tape bandage. It rolled up on me. Not waterproof. Duct tape over the moleskin?

Quote Reply
Re: Duct Tape for blister prevention? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the thread was regarding preventative measures. In that application it does not hurt at all. I agree however that the first coat on an open wound stings a bit. Once you get past the sting it works great. I found it particularly useful for when I had cuts etc and needed to spend time in salt water.
Quote Reply
Re: Duct Tape for blister prevention? [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you're right - prevention. Stings a bit? Understatement!

Quote Reply
Re: Duct Tape for blister prevention? [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok here's my latest idea. Cut pieces of 2 sided foam mounting tape and apply them in a circular fashion to the sticky side of duct tape, so that there is an air space between the open or weak skin and the outside layer of duct tape - that way you don't get moisture retention and direct contact with the tender area. My problem with gauze is that it has to be removed and works its way into the wound/scab.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Duct Tape for blister prevention? [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After considering ALL these ideas, here's what I'm going to try out today (20 minute run and then work on feet at expo all day!) and see how it goes:

Waterproof athletic tape over the area (three overlapping strips, varying sizes to accommodate area to be covered)
Crazy glue along all seems.
Nu-Skin OVER crazy glue, multiple layers.

We'll see how she goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you tried spencos blister protection that stuff works! Duct tape works but have you thought about the friction that happens when it heats up is quite painful.

I was hoping someone would post the name of the soak that toughens your feet up. I can never remember it.

Good luck on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I duct taped the balls and arches of my feet for 5 days of hiking in the Grand Canyon. It worked great! Had no issues with the tape moving or peeling or anything like that, and not even the hint of a blister. I have not tried it while running, though, so I don't know if it would have any issues there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of duct tape, i would use Leukotape and take a look at this website:

http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/...ng-for-Blisters.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duct tape moves around way too much, the adhesive is too gooey, and only gets worse in the heat/wet - usable in emergencies but if you really want to do a proper preventive taping job that will last through the race and not cause bunching problems of its own, use Elastikon tape (eg 3"), with MicroPore paper tape (1") over all the exposed edges of the Elastikon. To get it to stick, pre-treat the whole area with Tincture of Benzoin(e). For balls of the feet, go from the top of your foot over the big callous area, across the ball and come up around the other side just below your pinky toe. The micropore edge treatment is key along with the Benzoine. Kinesio tape is an alternative to Elastikon. Too late to get any from Zombierunner, but your pharmacy or med supply might have Elastikon. Vets also use it. The Benzoine can be found at some pharmacies, and REI also sells it.

My only caution is you ideally shouldn't try an intricate tape job for the very first time on race day, especially based on the relative vague directions given above - you should have tested your methodology in training or other less important events, unless you get someone who knows what they are doing to apply it.
Last edited by: skip: May 27, 10 12:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find a combination of SuperGlue and New Skin to be a far more effective combo. And MUCH less prone to coming off on hot, wet feet.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next