Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Duathlon Questions - From Tri to Du
Quote | Reply
This while NYC Duathlon thing has thrown a couple of us out of whack.

1. Do you need to wear your race # for the 1st run, then take it off for the bike and out it on again for the second run?

2. How do you guys warm-up for a duathlon? Aside from the obvious (no swim warm-up) anything different from a tri?

3. Will the 5K run fatigue more than the 1.5K swim (assuming one is slightly more comfortable in the water).

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Questions - From Tri to Du [Bearis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This while NYC Duathlon thing has thrown a couple of us out of whack.
I'm no expert, but I've probably raced just as many du's as tri's so I'll try to help.
1. Do you need to wear your race # for the 1st run, then take it off for the bike and out it on again for the second run? Why would you take it off for the bike? If you have your number on the front, it doesn't flap while riding. I just wear my number on a racebelt the the whole race and keep it in the front. They'll probably tell you the number requirements at the race or in the packet.

2. How do you guys warm-up for a duathlon? Aside from the obvious (no swim warm-up) anything different from a tri? For me, a du warmup is much different than a tri warm up. For a du, I try to get in a spin on the bike early in my prep(same for a tri) but after that I do the same kind of warm up that I would do for a running race that is the same distance as the opening run. The shorter the opening run, the more important is the warmup. For me to perform well in a 10k and especially a 5k, a good warmup is essential. Running at that kind of pace cold turkey is much harder to do and hurts more than it does with a good warmup. For a 5k start, I would run 1-2 miles, stretch, then do some drills(karaoke, high knee, butt kicks, etc...and maybe a few strides if I still didn't feel ready to run a fast opening mile. Obviously you're not going to run your fastest 5k pace in the du, but I usually don't run too far off that pace(maybe 15 sec to a minute slower than your current 5k speed depending on your fitness).

3. Will the 5K run fatigue more than the 1.5K swim (assuming one is slightly more comfortable in the water). Hell yes. And this is coming from someone who is much more comfortable on land than in the water.
*One more thing to think about: Biking after running a hard 5k is tough at first. It usually takes me a few miles to settle in. If you are not a strong runner you might want to err on the side of caution and go a little easier on the first run. Your legs and lungs will thank you during the second run.
I personally think du's hurt more than tri's, and as I said, I'm a much better runner than I am a swimmer. Good luck & hope some of this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Questions - From Tri to Du [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be ready for a world of hurt. I only race du's now due to time commitments and the first run is run as fast as on open running race w/out the sprint at the end. It is harder biking after running than swimming. The second run is much harder in a du than a trias well. I've gone 1:53 for a non drafting oly tri in the past and have tons of 1:55's but for a 10k/40k/5k du have yet to break 2hr. Du's are much harder than tris and expect to be a bit more sore than you are used to after the race.
Just pin your number on the front of your singlet and you'll be fine. 2 pair of racing flats are also a smart idea that way your not searching for the 1st pair when you get back from the bike.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply