Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Duathlon Nationals race week
Quote | Reply
Hello Again Slowtwitch,

Any folks heading to Greeneville this weekend? This will be my first duathlon in a long time. I'll be riding my 10 year old TT bike. I did a full aero test ride last week:

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals race week [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wanted to, but it’s too early in the year for a champ race IMO. This weekend was the first warm enough for outdoor riding in Western NY.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcdoublee wrote:
Hello Again Slowtwitch,

Any folks heading to Greeneville this weekend? This will be my first duathlon in a long time. I'll be riding my 10 year old TT bike. I did a full aero test ride last week:

Nope. But, I do have that same bike. It was a DIY carbon repair job I did that a local rider graciously gave me the frame/basebar/crank.

Question, what size big ring is that? Mine barely clears the chain stay on my Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals race week [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a 53, it is quite close. Don't think I could fit a 56.

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m heading back again this year; racing the Non-Draft Standard distance on Sunday.
What race(s) are you doing?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals race week [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
I’m heading back again this year; racing the Non-Draft Standard distance on Sunday.
What race(s) are you doing?

Hey Alex,

I'm also doing the non-draft standard distance. Looking at the times from last year and the course, I was expecting some faster bike splits. Do those long interstate rollers slow you down a bit?

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the race last year. It was a lot of fun.

The runs were very short so the times look very fast. If I recall the bike was fairly accurate. The weekend was very wet and cool that probably impacted a few people.

Not going this year, but I did notice in my age group that none of the "top guys" are going back. Guess I should have raced this year rather than last.

The kids crushed the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there.
Doing the DL Sprint and the Non-draft sprint.

It was fun last year despite the weather.
It's really bizarre to ride down a closed highway and make your loops on the exit ramp. Something that you'll likely not be able to do in many other races.

The times were all over the place last year.
They had to cut the course short in some places due to construction that was out of their control.
Pair that with the cold, rainy conditions and some people seemed really fast, some slow.

The weather looks to be much nicer this year. 55 at the start on Saturday getting up to mid-70's.
It is supposed to rain on Saturday, but at least it won't be 38 or whatever god-awful temp it was last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the rollers aren’t short enough to hammer and keep your speed. Also, the first mile is a pretty slow start.
Plus, last year was under 40 degree temps. So that also made the times slower.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going, will be doing the standard distance race on my road bike. I had to pull my aero jacket off since it doesn't clear the Duotrap speed sensor on my Domane. Running off this bike might be interesting. That's what I get for dragging my feet on my TT bike upgrade. C'est la vie.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the sprint non draft on Sunday. Never done a duathlon and looking forward to something different. Live about an hour away and figured what the heck, give it a go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals race week [IL2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hype is here!

I'll be there. Last year I did the DL Sprint and the weather was miserable.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was PERFECT last year. Rainy and freeze your butt off cold. It was really nice for this cold weather bird! Rollers...yes, some wind, yes, but it was an excellent course I marked very well. You'd have to be a real ding-bat to get lost on this course. Cones like every 5 meters it seems.

You'll like it a lot. I'm not going as I'm in the middle of some intense work-job and leaving for Du Worlds/LC Tri in 2 weeks--plus coming off a stress fracture in Feb and 2 illnesses), have my hands full right now and vastly underprepared. The guy up FRONT---that's Alex. If you can see him that is...he's usually a speck on the horizon. Have fun and best of luck! Wish I was going...
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals race week [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
It was PERFECT last year. Rainy and freeze your butt off cold. It was really nice for this cold weather bird! Rollers...yes, some wind, yes, but it was an excellent course I marked very well. You'd have to be a real ding-bat to get lost on this course. Cones like every 5 meters it seems.

You'll like it a lot. I'm not going as I'm in the middle of some intense work-job and leaving for Du Worlds/LC Tri in 2 weeks--plus coming off a stress fracture in Feb and 2 illnesses), have my hands full right now and vastly underprepared. The guy up FRONT---that's Alex. If you can see him that is...he's usually a speck on the horizon. Have fun and best of luck! Wish I was going...

Oof, since 1/1 ive had at least 5 weeks with zero running due to injury. I kept the training hours up on the bike though and have produced some best ever power numbers so I'm excited to hit I-185! No idea how my runs will go....

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure anyone going has been following the weather. Looks like storms could impact the event.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals race week [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Sunday looks completely miserable. I don’t mind rain and wind; just REALLY hope they don’t cancel the race.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did this shake down. I was looking at the non-DL sprint results and the times made no sense? was the race shortened?
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals race week [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, shortened to a super duper sprint. The rains and wind were coming down really hard mid-day, so they shortened all the legs to get people finished as soon as possible.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, that makes sense, otherwise there definitely needs to be dope tests with people under 30min for a sprint du...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Yes, shortened to a super duper sprint. The rains and wind were coming down really hard mid-day, so they shortened all the legs to get people finished as soon as possible.

That really sucks. Glad i didn't make the 10+ hour drive.
Quote Reply
Re: Duathlon Nationals race week [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They were on the verge of disallowing disc wheels in the Standard non-draft earlier in the same day. Fortunately they did not or I would have been screwed.

I drove 15 hours to get there and had not brought a regular wheel. That would have sucked.
Quote Reply