Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dual vs. One
Quote | Reply
Need some good advice. I'm about to buy my first tri bike, I'm split between the Dual and the One. The Dual is attractive with the better components, aero seat tube, etc., but I'm a novice will I be able to tell the difference?
Quote Reply
Re: Dual vs. One [mthomsic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two very different bikes, neither one actually available now. Duals may be available within the next 4 weeks here in the U.S. (no promises- this is according to information I received as a Cervelo dealer last week) and Ones are likely to be sometime in mid-late May. The geometry and components of these two bikes make them two completely different animals. I would hit the local reputable triathlon store and get a set of body measurements taken and take their recommendation. If there isn't a local one it is worth a 3-4 hour drive for a technically oriented purchase of this magnitude. Good luck, both likely to be nice bikes when they do become available.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dual vs. One [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm fully aware of the back order which is allowing me to delay the decision. I've already been waiting a month. Knowing that it will be mid-may for the one may make the decision for me. The bike store I've been dealing with is the largest in NYC and they tell me that either will suit what I want...but I want more advice than that. I think my biggest problem is two good decisions. Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the central question: The Dual has the capability to be set up with an effective set tube angle ranging from as shallow as 75 degrees to as steep as 78 degrees. That is a lot of versatility. It also has a purpose-built aerobar cockpit: It is optimized for riding in the aero position. It is optimized as a triathlon bike. The One has a fixed 75 degree seat tube angle. You are married to that seat tube angle. The question here is: Which one is correct for you? Both can't be. The Dual has capabilities the One does not. You have to pay extra for those capabilites. Do you need them? Do your measurements mandate them? I don't mean to be critical of your decision making process, but listen to the factors that are palying into your decision: Appearance of the Dual and delivery time of the One. While you could make some argument that appearance may have an impact on your ownership expereince (but not the bike's performance and subsequently, your performance) the fact that the One is not available for another 6-8 weeks shouldn't really impact your buying decision in my humble opinion. Sure, you may need it by a certain date for a certain event. But remember, this is an expensive, long term purchase. Keep the big picture in mind. It is MUCH easier to get the wrong bike than the right one. These bikes are very different from one another (if they weren't Cervelo wouldn't make both). Only one is right for you. The Arabs have an excellent proverb: "If two people are exactly the same, one of them is unneccesary". The same can be said of bikes. Choose carefully my friend, only one is the correct path....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dual vs. One [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, one of the problem is that most of the specialized shop I go, all the bikes fit!!! yeah right! (Like mthomsic who fits on the one and the dual). People usually take my inseam measure (I'm 6 foot one with an inseam of 89.5), tell me I need a size 58 or 60 bike and then tell me they can make me fit any of there bikes!!! When I read your articles it does'nt seem that simple. So I'm kinda left to myself. I'm also considering the One (for which i'm getting tired to wait) since it is not too expensive(it's either that or paying big bucks for a good road bike). I was also considering the Dual but I've decided that I did'nt want bull horn's and also want to do group rides so I've let down the dual all together(I dont have a road bike). But will I be able to ride with a group, climb big hills and do an Ironman with the One(according it fits me, of course)? There are no critics yet on the one since the model is not the same than last year...what do you think of it?

Thank's for the help

Richard

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"but I'm a novice will I be able to tell the difference?"

Will this be your only bike? If not it's a no brainer - If you already have a road bike, go with the Dual.

In fact, if after only one bike there are a lot of decent road bikes out there for the One's price. particularly if going second hand.

Realize that neither of these bikes have been on the market yet so are both currently unproven. Cervelo has a good name and I personally have high expectations of the Dual as a tri bike but the new One is neither really a road or tri bike so it may not be that good a substitute as either. We'll just have to wait and see.

If you are inexperienced in cycling don't get a tri bike as your only bike. They are not as good handling as road bikes and not as versatile. Get a road bike, join a roadie group and learn about bike skills. If you like this sport then you'll later get a tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Dual vs. One [rferron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Tom, one of the problem is that most of the specialized shop I go, all the bikes fit!!! yeah right! [/reply]

I think people are confusing a few things:

They can and probably will both fit you, but that doesn't mean you need them both (or either). Just as an example, I fit both my road bike and my tri bike. So obviously I can fit two bikes that are completely different. The question is what you are trying to get fit for?

If you are looking for a road position, a Soloist can likely put you in a road position that suits you. If you are looking for an optimal triathlon position (for argument's sake, close to 78 degrees for the seattube and a saddle-to-elbowpad drop in line with slowman's formula), the Dual will likely allow you to do that. If you are looking for a multisport position, the One will likely work, as may the Soloist in the forward position and the Dual in the laid-back position.

See also my other post on fit and positioning

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Dual vs. One [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good questions: "But if I'm a novice, will I ever notice it?" My answer is, "No", you will never notice it, or at least, not for a long time. You will be on the "wrong" or less than optimal bike and not know it. It may compromise your climbing style, handling and overall comfort and biomechanical efficieny- and- you are absolutely right. Being a novice you will never know it. IMHO fit is most important with novice riders since they have the most propensity to be on the wrong set-up and not know it. If you make a small change on an expereinced rider's bike they tend to recognize it right away. For a novice, fit is very, very important.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply