Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Drug Testing In Kona?
Quote | Reply
I read that last year...or maybe two years ago, they were randomly drug testing people @ check in and someone refused and didn't race. Did that occur this year? Any idea how many? Any idea if anyone refused and decided not to race? Curious if Ironman is getting more aggressive at catching cheats.
Quote Reply
Re: Drug Testing In Kona? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The person who refused two years ago got a 4 year ban.
They definitely tested pre-race last year (I have (UK) friends who were tested - and post-race too, at least for one AG winner). Two people tested pre-race last year also subsequently got bans.
Also know of two athletes (Age-Group) who were out-of-competition tested in recent months leading up to Kona too (both top-performing AG'ers).
Haven't spoke to those who potentially would have been pre-race tested this year, but I imagine it did happen again.
Quote Reply
Re: Drug Testing In Kona? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had numerous athletes tested pre-race in Kona over the years. The common theme was they were all the top AG athlete at an IM.
The few times I've had athletes tested post race was when they won their AG at 70.3 worlds. None of my athletes who've landed on the podium at Kona have been tested. Of course they've been 2nd, 3rd, 4th and not 1st in the AG...yet.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply