Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF???
Quote | Reply
So I got an interesting email last night (and a few subsequent interesting emails). It basically went like this (these are summarized):

Email 1 (to me from coach): Sorry Bryan, but I'm going to have to drop you as a client.

Email 2 (from me to him): Uh....why? Did I do something wrong?

Email 3 (to me from coach): It's not you, it's me. (That was seriously said to me) I'm just looking for someone that will represent me a bit better and advertise me.

Email 4 (from me to him): What do you mean? I've done well in my races this year (I've podiumed or won 9 out 14 this year and just missed the podium (by one or two slots) in 4 of the ones I didn't make it in). I haven't missed workouts, I've been doing everything you've told me to.

Email 5 (to me from coach): Yes, but I'm looking for someone to drive business to me and you haven't been doing that. I haven't had a single person come to me who referenced you as a recommendation and I haven't seen you wearing any of my gear at any of your races or seen any facebook or blog posts about me.

Email 6 (from me to him): Um....you DO realize that I PAY YOU to coach me, right? I'm not getting a free ride in exchange to promotional services. When did me promoting your services ever come into play?

Email 7 (to me from coach): It's an unwritten rule that all athletes do that. Maybe you will understand that when you get a bit more experienced. I will refund your money for the remainder of the year (I paid the full year in advance) and I hope you have better luck in the future.

I'm completely baffled at WTF this was all about. I was happy with the services - I'm having a much better year this year than last and am better able to cope with training (now that I have a one year old) than I was when my son was first born. My results have been pretty good and I'm entering the meat of my season.

I haven't received my refund yet (probably will today I guess?) but that's not what bothers me. Aside from being coachless, it's really kind of shitty that I was dropped because I'm not "good enough". I have a suspicion that there is more to it than meets the eye - but nothing to back it up (there are a few athletes that are coached by this coach who have complained that I was being put up on the site (race wins, wtc) and not wearing "their gear". As of this morning, all references of me on the site have been removed).

Maybe this belongs in the Whine Like A Bitch thread (probably does, definitely does) but I just find it weird and can't help but to think I'm missing something here.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Popcorn time. So when this coaches name gets out there, i think it is going to have the exact opposite affect he/she was going for. Sounds like a douche to me, really bad form from the looks of it in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 from what you have shown, though only 1 side of story
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
So I got an interesting email last night (and a few subsequent interesting emails). It basically went like this (these are summarized):

Email 1 (to me from coach): Sorry Bryan, but I'm going to have to drop you as a client.

Email 2 (from me to him): Uh....why? Did I do something wrong?

Email 3 (to me from coach): It's not you, it's me. (That was seriously said to me) I'm just looking for someone that will represent me a bit better and advertise me.

Email 4 (from me to him): What do you mean? I've done well in my races this year (I've podiumed or won 9 out 14 this year and just missed the podium (by one or two slots) in 4 of the ones I didn't make it in). I haven't missed workouts, I've been doing everything you've told me to.

Email 5 (to me from coach): Yes, but I'm looking for someone to drive business to me and you haven't been doing that. I haven't had a single person come to me who referenced you as a recommendation and I haven't seen you wearing any of my gear at any of your races or seen any facebook or blog posts about me.

Email 6 (from me to him): Um....you DO realize that I PAY YOU to coach me, right? I'm not getting a free ride in exchange to promotional services. When did me promoting your services ever come into play?

Email 7 (to me from coach): It's an unwritten rule that all athletes do that. Maybe you will understand that when you get a bit more experienced. I will refund your money for the remainder of the year (I paid the full year in advance) and I hope you have better luck in the future.

I'm completely baffled at WTF this was all about. I was happy with the services - I'm having a much better year this year than last and am better able to cope with training (now that I have a one year old) than I was when my son was first born. My results have been pretty good and I'm entering the meat of my season.

I haven't received my refund yet (probably will today I guess?) but that's not what bothers me. Aside from being coachless, it's really kind of shitty that I was dropped because I'm not "good enough". I have a suspicion that there is more to it than meets the eye - but nothing to back it up (there are a few athletes that are coached by this coach who have complained that I was being put up on the site (race wins, wtc) and not wearing "their gear". As of this morning, all references of me on the site have been removed).

Maybe this belongs in the Whine Like A Bitch thread (probably does, definitely does) but I just find it weird and can't help but to think I'm missing something here.

He's firing you, but you're firing him. You have zero responsibility to market him as you have zero responsibility to market your lawyer, accountant or doctor. I say move onto someone else. You're not his marketing department, you are his client. Now if you choose to actively market him, that's your choice, or he can "pay you" (through a discount or free months etc) to market him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd tell your coach that these actions are only going to cause you to speak negatively about him at future races, and on top of that that he can go fuck himself.

The only scenario where I can think this would be appropriate is if in the original agreement/conversation, you & he/she said something to the effect of...

"....I'm going to be coaching you at a discounted rate, under the premise that you will be referring me 'x' # of new business /month...."

Otherwise, yes...sounds very bizaare.
---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Last edited by: BrianPBN: Jun 13, 14 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surfinglamb i would be pissed if i were you. Not only does your coach seem to not want to train/represent a MOP age grouper (you arent one anyway) there are now apparently unwritten rules that one must pump up their coach on top of paying them? A good coach shouldnt need forced recommendations.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that, that's lame of him. Maybe you're not Big and Sexy enough?

But thank you in advance for what I'm sure will be an entertaining thread. My week is never complete without some Friday Slowtwitch Drama.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree re:drama. Its 11pm here, when i log back on in the morning, i expect to see an epic thread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is gonna be a great friday post.

If you were not paying the guy I would say its fair, but you are paying for his services so I really don't understand why he would drop you. Also, the "success" of your athletes should be what drives your business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is outrageous!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianPBN wrote:
The only scenario where I can think this would be appropriate is if in the original agreement/conversation, you & he/she said something to the effect of...

"....I'm going to be coaching you at a discounted rate, under the premise that you will be referring me 'x' # of new business /month...."

Otherwise, yes...sounds very bazaar.
---

Nope. I paid full freight and no one ever mentioned a thing to me about marketing him. They did give me a trucker hat and a bike jersey - but that was "included in the cost" and was never a requirement to wear to my knowledge. (Looking back at all my emails about it has shown it was never mentioned in any of the agreements we set up).

A lot of the coach's other athletes wear them 24/7 but I don't do a lot of bike races (most are TTs where I wouldn't be wearing a baggy bike jersey anyway) so I'd never really wear it.

Besides - that didn't stop the coach from putting me up all over his website whenever I did good in a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
Surfinglamb i would be pissed if i were you. Not only does your coach seem to not want to train/represent a MOP age grouper (you arent one anyway) there are now apparently unwritten rules that one must pump up their coach on top of paying them? A good coach shouldnt need forced recommendations.

haha that's a great picture that basically surmises what I was like last night (I had the news break to me while I was on the trainer - I reguarly read texts/emails/facebook while riding). It totally ruined my rewatch of Battlestar Gallactica :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very uncool. This guy sounds like a serious loser that doesn't deserve any clients, especially not elite ones.

Can you just save us the web detective work and out him? That way we can drive some traffic his way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is truly unbelievable.

He must not need the money
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VERY strange.

If he/she wanted to part ways (which does happen on both sides of the coin), doing so w/ an explanation like that bizarre. With that, it will provide some interesting Friday fodder ;-)
---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Last edited by: BrianPBN: Jun 13, 14 9:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming that your account details the story well, I can't say that I agree with his position (or approach) ... but I can understand the logic from a voluntary exchange of services perspective. At the very best, it sounds short-sighted on his part (bad precedent, bad publicity, etc.).

He clearly has expectations that you're not meeting. Granted, that may be entirely due to his failure to properly inform you of them, but the balance of dissatisfaction remains. It's certainly a strange twist in the typical provider-client dynamic, so I guess the only takeaway should be that you were satisfied with the product while it lasted, but you're probably better off without the services of a flake.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
Sorry to hear that, that's lame of him. Maybe you're not Big and Sexy enough?

But thank you in advance for what I'm sure will be an entertaining thread. My week is never complete without some Friday Slowtwitch Drama.

This has absolutely 0 ZERO ZILCH NADA to do with the BSR team. Just clarifying in case someone here tries to connect the dots to Chris. That team (BSR) is an absolute A-Class outfit and have been nothing but outstanding to me and I'm proud as hell to represent them. This coaching fiasco is completely separate and was in place before I was selected for the team.

Just wanted to clear that up before this train took a wrong turn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell him you want ALL of your money back for the year as he broke his contract with you.

Also tell him you will be sure to tell everyone about your experience with him.

This is the most assbackwards way of handling a client in any business I have ever read.

You should out him on here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RUN... Run Fast and be THANKFUL that jack weed is out of your life.

The match between a coach and athlete can be a tricky one. Some just run numbers, build plans and that is it. You get what you pay for, and at a basic level, it is a custom training plan with some advice and feedback but more a numbers game.

Next level is a lot more interactive, analysis, and much more a relationship.

If a coach is looking for word of mouth referrals and a Pom-Pom Squad, then you should have a horse in the game either for discounts, free months, and basically if you are their "marketing" and recruiting, you should be receiving a commission. Not sure what your "coach" brought to the table, but most Coaches / Teams I see that have that type of Social Media posting, etc. tend to be less about "pushing the coach" but rewarding and pushing the sponsors because as part of the team/coach, there are discounts on gear, and even team payouts for results in terms of actual cash... I.e. many teams would take your results and at the end of the year, you might actually get paid by the team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats crap plain and simple. As others have mentioned that would only be appropriate if there was some sort of agreement regarding referrals and discounts. It doesn't sound like your performance he's unhappy about (some pretty stout results so congrats), but more the representation or business aspect, but thats a huge wtf. Not like it should matter if there was no agreement, but his "gear"...is it given to you for free? Do you have to buy it on your own? If you have to buy it then even more of a crap move. Even if its given for free, he should at least mention it or ask you to wear it as part of the deal esp since its free.

Either way, poor business move for reputation. Sorry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see how this would go in my profession.

Architect Me: Hi Mr. Developer. I know you hired me to design this building and I have done a few for you in the past, but I'm going to have to drop you as a client because you didn't pimp my design enough and drum up more business for me.

Mr. Developer: <click>

Architect Me: Um, hello??

Last edited by: Daremo: Jun 13, 14 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
Assuming that your account details the story well, I can't say that I agree with his position (or approach) ... but I can understand the logic from a voluntary exchange of services perspective. At the very best, it sounds short-sighted on his part (bad precedent, bad publicity, etc.).

He clearly has expectations that you're not meeting. Granted, that may be entirely due to his failure to properly inform you of them, but the balance of dissatisfaction remains. It's certainly a strange twist in the typical provider-client dynamic, so I guess the only takeaway should be that you were satisfied with the product while it lasted, but you're probably better off without the services of a flake.

I could see that if that was the case - but I can't imagine many of their other athletes are doing any better (there are several who "just finish" races and haven't been actively promoting the coach from what I've seen - mostly during training get togethers and facebook).

but maybe the coach cleaned house and all of them are out too and just haven't been taken off the site yet. Who knows?

I do not intend to publicly call the coach out btw. Not my style to badmouth someone - I'm just curious to get thoughts on the situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like their expectations of you should have been much more clearly laid out at the outset. What they are looking to get back from you is the kind of thing minor sponsors look for from amateur athletes (eg Wattie Ink), but NOT from a coaching service that YOU ARE PAYING FOR!

At the very least, one might have expected a discussion with you first, asking if you would be willing to wear their gear, make some social media comments etc, but they should not expect this as a pre-condition to offering you a paid service, and certainly not only communicating that expectation half way through the contract (and your season). Poor form by them.

Hopefully your refund comes through quickly and you can find a coach that can offer a good service without strings attached.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply

Prev Next