Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Drone for GoPro Hero 7
Quote | Reply
Hi, I wanted to hear from the ST community about which drone people use with a GoPro Hero 7. I don't see any reason to buy a drone with a camera if I can use the camera I already have. Thanks!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Drone for GoPro Hero 7 [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not many made that way short of kit builds
Quote Reply
Re: Drone for GoPro Hero 7 [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you haven’t had a drone before? I have a GoPro 7 Hero also and I’ll save you a lot of trouble. Get the DJI drone that fits your budget.

I’m not aware of an off the shelf drone that you can attach a GoPro to, but even if there is, a drone needs a good gimbal because it tilts so much, better than the built in electronic gimbal feature the GoPro has.

You also want to be able to see what the drone sees. The DJIs do this by using your phone as the remote control, giving you a birds eye view of exactly what the drone camera sees. And you can move the camera up down/left right.

And the DJI drones have a ton of features, like obstacle avoidance, flying back to its start point if the battery goes low, auto following a moving object,...I could go on and on. They’re worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Drone for GoPro Hero 7 [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a feeling that would be the verdict

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Drone for GoPro Hero 7 [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree, if you're new to drones - just go out and buy a low-end DJI unit. Something like the Mavic Mini or slightly older Spark. The quality will be better than a GoPro for this purpose, due to the gimbal and other aspects.

Sure, there are ways to mount GoPro's atop drones, but that's mostly going down the FPV drone route, which is fascinating, but is a hobby unto itself.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Drone for GoPro Hero 7 [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

I had a GoPro hero 3 which didn't have any image stabilization built into it and got turned off to GoPro for that reason because the AS series from Sony had image stabilization. However, the Hero 7 has image stabilization as well and is a much better camera IMO, so I can understand your wanting to keep it. But it would be cheaper and less hassle by going with a drone that already has a camera.

While Mavic has a huge range of cameras to suit whatever you need, be sure to check out Skydio (1 and 2) as well. There are quite a few side-by-side comparisons on Youtube.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply