Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Drinking meals (huel,...)
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am thinking of getting me some "Huel" powder to drink as a meal from time to time. Mostly at noon (12h00) at work. So I don't need to eat bread or go to the store.
So drinking a powder like Huel will save me time, money, carbonhydrates and make me more healthy... I think/hope.

But I am not sure. Is this a piece of marketing or is the powder really valuable, rich of working nutritions and vitamins ?

Has anyone experience with drinking powders like Huel (https://eu.huel.com/) or something else ?

Thx for the reply's and sorry for my english ;)
Last edited by: Roflpain: Aug 19, 19 6:12
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking meals (huel,...) [Roflpain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My daughter just got huel as a meal replacement because she decided to become a vegan. I can’t find it in myself to try it as I can’t stomach most soy based products. If I do, I will let you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used huel for awhile and would not recommended it, or any meal replacement.

It's a highly processed product that hits your system instantaneously, absorbing irregularly compared to regular food. It caused me to gain 5lbs. When I stopped drinking it, I lost the 5lbs quick. The nutrients are also not very available, so you're not really absorbing all of what's in there.

You'll also be STARVING after drinking one. They don't fill you up at all, so there's a lot to be desired which will cause you to gain even more weight.

Stay away from this kind of stuff. Eat real food

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d invest in a Vitamix blender (or something of the sort) and look into making your own smoothies/concoctions. Make a big thing in the morning and put it in a thermos to take with you to work. Would most likely be cheaper and less processed.
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking meals (huel,...) [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just to clear up a bit of misinformation, Huel is not made with soy. If you want info go to the website. It is an oat based product and from the website you can find out more info.
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking meals (huel,...) [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
just to clear up a bit of misinformation, Huel is not made with soy. If you want info go to the website. It is an oat based product and from the website you can find out more info.

Soylent, Huel, all of it, is garbage. Doesn't matter what it's made of

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huel keeps popping up in my Instagram feed - despite me reporting the ad for being offensive.

Being vegan is fair enough - but describing itself as "cruelty free", just smacks of an attempted guilt trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nuts + 2 pieces of fruit/veg?

1. Can fit into a small bag, is light, wont get squished, tastes good, has protein and calories and juice.
2. Is whole food.
3. Is cheap.
3.5 Requires no prep or cutting.
4. Keeps for many days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
s5100e wrote:

I agree eat real foods is the right thing to do, no argument there. That is always the healthy choice. Just prefer that things be accurate that is all. After that the rest is opinion and I do not have a dog in that fight.
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking meals (huel,...) [p9ul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand what you are saying but it is cruelty free. I eat meat on a daily basis I have always and always will, but I wouldn't ever try to convince myself it wasn't cruel. Knowing how these meat processing plants continue to be exposed for cruelty towards animals it would be willful ignorance to try to think otherwise. I would say if you feel a little guilty that is the point, its advertising. Deep down inside we feel guilty because we are and we know it. Getting called out on it is uncomfortable. We just have to say hey I like meat and no matter what I am going to continue to eat it because I love it. I want it and I need it. At least that's how I look at it. All this said I wouldn't use Huel or anything for a full meal replacement. I use Skratch recovery after a workout then try and get some real food about 30-60 minutes after my shake.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roflpain wrote:

So drinking a powder like Huel will save me time, money, carbonhydrates and make me more healthy

Drinking 'food' doesn't make you more healthy, weighing less isn't necessarily more healthy, drinking 'food' to save time and money aren't the right reasons.
Bringing lunch will save you going to the story. Plan your food, this will focus you on what you eat, and when, and by being more conciously occupied with what you will be eating, will probably make you eat healthier and lose weight (if that's a goal). And if you plan your food, you can bring you lunch to work, so you can eat it at your desk to save you time (not that that's healthy...lunch time is also supposed to be a break time, breaks make you work more efficiently during work time).
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking meals (huel,...) [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't get why some vegans feel the need to convert anyone who isn't - the Huel ad I saw came across as a cheap shot. I've seen their ad's since and the cruelty free tag wasn't present. I don't see ads for KFC having a pop at vegans.

I'm the same as you - most days I'll have meat in a meal and a bowl of cereal at some point too.

I've tried meal replacement drinks (USN diet whey for one) but they just don't satiate - that's not to say they wont work for someone else though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Soylent for about 3 years now, and recently added another brand in called JimmyJoy. I've had great experiences with them as a convenient way to get in nutrition on the go without resorting to something like fast food. Yes I know the collective wisdom is to eat fresh, local, etc. but not only does that get very expensive, it also takes up a bunch of time, which is at a premium when you want to race triathlons, have a job, and have a family life all the while getting the amount of sleep you are supposed to get. I use them mainly as a breakfast meal, often for lunch, occasionally for a dinner, and once in a while when I'm feeling like a need a couple extra calories and can't stomach another banana or apple.

Again, no scientific data, but I do know that on days when I do have these drinks, I feel pretty good, similar to how I feel if I'm eating more of the local, fresh, etc. stuff everybody says we need to eat. I say give it a go and see how it works for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the ingredients list- I would say that Huel is "crap".

Oats, Pea Protein, Flaxseed, Brown Rice Protein, Sunflower Oil Powder, Medium-Chain Triglyceride Powder (from Coconut), Natural Vanilla Flavor, Acacia Gum, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Steviol Glycosides, Sucralose, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Maltodextrin, Ascorbic Acid, L-Choline Bitartrate, Menaquinone-7, Lutein, Lycopene, Retinol Acetate, D-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Potassium Iodide, Niacinamide, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Cholecalciferol, Ergocalciferol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Cyanocobalamin, L-Methylfolate Calcium, Chromium Picolinate, Biotin. CONTAINS: TREE NUTS (COCONUT).
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking meals (huel,...) [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
Here's the ingredients list- I would say that Huel is "crap".

Oats, Pea Protein, Flaxseed, Brown Rice Protein, Sunflower Oil Powder, Medium-Chain Triglyceride Powder (from Coconut), Natural Vanilla Flavor, Acacia Gum, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Steviol Glycosides, Sucralose, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Maltodextrin, Ascorbic Acid, L-Choline Bitartrate, Menaquinone-7, Lutein, Lycopene, Retinol Acetate, D-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Potassium Iodide, Niacinamide, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Cholecalciferol, Ergocalciferol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Cyanocobalamin, L-Methylfolate Calcium, Chromium Picolinate, Biotin. CONTAINS: TREE NUTS (COCONUT).

But what specifically is "crap"

I really don't mean to be a troll but is there something in that list one needs to look out for, or is it just the chemicallly sounding names that makes you say it's "crap"
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking meals (huel,...) [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sucralose jumped out at me, but basically everything but the 1st 3 ingredients.
Also- As a product it is neither low calorie or low fat. So what is it good for?
Not particularly good as a meal replacement, not particularly good as a weight loss product, not very good as a highly nutritional replacement for food.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
But what specifically is "crap"

matate99 wrote:
Pea Protein, Brown Rice Protein, Sunflower Oil Powder, Medium-Chain Triglyceride Powder (from Coconut), Natural Vanilla Flavor, Acacia Gum, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Steviol Glycosides, Sucralose, Potassium Chloride, Potassium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Maltodextrin, Ascorbic Acid, L-Choline Bitartrate, Menaquinone-7, Lutein, Lycopene, Retinol Acetate, D-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Potassium Iodide, Niacinamide, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Cholecalciferol, Ergocalciferol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Cyanocobalamin, L-Methylfolate Calcium, Chromium Picolinate, Biotin.

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is eating something like Huel at all better than eating a dose of protein powder and then a portion of a cookie/donut/cake/muffin/energy bar that equals your caloric needs?
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking meals (huel,...) [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx everyone for the good information. I think I gonna try to put more effort in some good "real" food.
It is the most healthy option but the most time consuming.

But i do think a huel meal is in some situation a good option. Like when you would eat a waffle and a coke out of the cafeteria's vending machine. Or when you eat nothing due to lack of time (kids, work, ...)
It might be better to have a huel meal then.

Once again thx for the input :)

If anybody got some good websites or tools about food and health, pls share. There are a lot of not very trustable websites and I don't know which ones are good and which ones are bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
s5100e wrote:

A lazy man’s alternative to real food.
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking meals (huel,...) [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Invest in your health

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roflpain wrote:
There are a lot of not very trustable websites and I don't know which ones are good and which ones are bad.

That's why I hoped some of these other commentators would give some actual useful resources instead of just parroting the conventional wisdom. I'm going to keep on with my Soylent/Jimmyjoy unless I see some actual scientific evidence it's "crap".

And on the difference between eating protein powder and then some carb source...it's pretty self-evident. That's TWO things I'd have to do, which take up time that I am already pressed for. Drinking a bottle of Soylent literally takes me 10 seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matate99 wrote:
Roflpain wrote:
There are a lot of not very trustable websites and I don't know which ones are good and which ones are bad.

That's why I hoped some of these other commentators would give some actual useful resources instead of just parroting the conventional wisdom. I'm going to keep on with my Soylent/Jimmyjoy unless I see some actual scientific evidence it's "crap".

And on the difference between eating protein powder and then some carb source...it's pretty self-evident. That's TWO things I'd have to do, which take up time that I am already pressed for. Drinking a bottle of Soylent literally takes me 10 seconds.

https://www.nateliason.com/blog/soylent

Very comprehensive with sources

Gone with the wind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate that link. It was very well sourced and gave me some things to think about. I don't think it convinced me to change my habits with regards to these types of foods, and I think the main disagreement I have with the author is summed up in the last 3 paragraphs.

Quote:
Is it worse than McDonalds? Probably not, but at least you don’t feel good about eating McDonalds, and that’s where the problem is. This idea that Soylent is healthy tricks you into thinking that if you have your Soylent, you’ve done your good-eating-deed for the day, instead of thinking of it as a last resort like a protein bar.

For us to say that it’s healthy, we would have to know that it has a direct boon to your health, or is at least comparable to real foods like vegetables, meat, and nuts. We have no evidence of that. Maybe it comes close, but there’s so much unknown about it and these kinds of synthesized foods that we can’t call it healthy.

The default for evaluating some food that isn’t found in nature shouldn’t be that it’s “healthy until proven bad,” rather, bad until proven healthy.

I'm not treating these types of drinks as a healthy meal, but rather a time-saving way to get in some relatively well balanced influx of calories. My dinners do comprise of meals that have lots of whole foods in them and are the main source of my calories. (That and the fruit that I use for snacking). It could be good, it could be bad, it could be neutral. There are still too many unknowns with it, which is why I wouldn't advocate making it the sole source of nutrition, but as a quick meal to save you 15-30min? Count me in.

Thanks again for the article though, it really is the single best one I have read about meal replacement drinks.
Quote Reply