Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Drinking during half marathon
Quote | Reply
I normally hydrate well during the week leading to the race and I drink 20oz fluids 2-3 hours before, and then 8oz fluids just 15 mins before..

I held a hand held 8oz fluid which I sipped on a half marathon last year and that worked out well, and I did the same a few months ago on another half marathon but I didn't feel like I needed to drink at all. In fact, most of the fluid was still there till mile 11.

The HM I'm doing tmr I want to get a PR and do my best so I'm cutting out all the unnecessaries. Decided to not wear a visor and now I'm considering no hand held electrolyte drink. 8oz weights roughly 0.5lb which could cost me 30 seconds I think.

I read pros don't usually drink in these events but they run it in about 1hr. My run time is going to be around 1:30.. Verdict, bring the drink or dont?

P.S., i Know I can drink the water provided but I'm not good at drinking out of a cup :P
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking during half marathon [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do what ever works best for you. I have been trialing a few things lately leading up to a half marathon that I am doing, and have gone from using a 2 bottle fuel belt to getting rid of throughout all of my training runs, and have noticed a significant increase in speed. I personally don't think you will need a lot of water, maybe a sip every 5km to just wet the mouth and if it's warm to throw over the head/body. But remember, do what ever works best for you. If you feel like you need it, then use it, but if you don't forget about it all together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn to drink out of a cup!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-wn5IMmy5E

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carry nothing. Just grab water at the stations along the way.

Here's how:
Grab a cup with one hand. Pitch the top of it with your thumb and fore finger as you grab it. Then, drink it like you're pouring a pitcher of water in your mouth.

Now, go break 1:30:00.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did a HM. I'm much slower than you so I also had to think about calories. I carried a small handheld that I had gels watered down in. I then grabbed cups off the volunteers that I pretty just used to rinse my mouth with. If I'm hydrated going into the race and it isn't especially hot I'm good with little water along the way.

I squeeze the top of the cup and pour it into my mouth that way. When you are running hard you aren't going to be extremely efficient so if you are dying of thirst plan to grab two cups.

In your case, skip the bottle. You may get dry mouth but unless it is crazy hot you aren't likely to get dangerously dehydrated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It also depends on the weather. On a cool day I could finish without drinking but I would probably still grab something from the aid station.

Just use the aid stations, quit over-thinking things, and get some rest!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw 0.5lb is about 6-8s not 30s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aid stations aid stations aid stations. If its hot, 1 water goes on the head, 1 goes in the mouth.
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking during half marathon [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
footwerx wrote:
Fwiw 0.5lb is about 6-8s not 30s

Yes you're right. I threw out a number but realize now it was too much hehe.

6-8 seconds isnt bad hmm but I think I will take everyone advise and go without the hand held water :). Sometimes it gets annoying holding that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did it go?

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it once. Woke up in Vegas not knowing wtf happened with a tranny sleeping next to me.

NEVER AGAIN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if you didn't make your 1:30 time, what are you going to blame it on the visor, the shirt or hydration? I'm not sure what other threads you posted. And of course it will be ST fault ;-)

I do hope you did well today and PRed. Let us know!!!

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking during half marathon [kmh1225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kmh1225 wrote:
So if you didn't make your 1:30 time, what are you going to blame it on the visor, the shirt or hydration? I'm not sure what other threads you posted. And of course it will be ST fault ;-)

I do hope you did well today and PRed. Let us know!!!

Didn't happen.. I was 2 mins above my PR mile 10 time. The race didn't feel as good probably cause body is a lil fatigued from this year's races already.. but still looking good at that point to post 1:32 which would still be a PR.

Then developed a left hamstring cramp shortly after mile 10 which ended up costing about 3 mins. Ended up at 1:35 and change...
Last edited by: 125mph: Jun 2, 13 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking during half marathon [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
Did it once. Woke up in Vegas not knowing wtf happened with a tranny sleeping next to me.
NEVER AGAIN

Zing--------------------->!
Quote Reply