Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Drills to Correct Straight Legged Heel Strike?
Quote | Reply
Hi all -

Wanted to inquire if the strong runners here had any great "go to" drills for correcting what I think is a flaw in running form.

While I had a decent run (by my low standards) at the Daytona Challenge Middle distance this weekend, a couple of on-line photos show my front leg making ground contact at the bottom part of the heel, with shoe angled up slightly and an almost straight forward leg. The soles of my shoes def show the heel with as much/more wear than any other part.

Assuming this is a problem (e.g., front leg acting as a brake on momentum), any recommendations on drills/exercises to correct?

Thank you in advance.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Drills to Correct Straight Legged Heel Strike? [teetopkram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a million videos on youtube to correct heel strike. But to give you one example, running at the same speed, but increasing your cadence by 10 would almost always correct the problem.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take your shoes off and run for a while. See what happens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend hill reps of some kind. Its a lot harder to heel strike going uphill. Could be strides where moderate up/ walk dow or as part of a workout 90 sec z4 up with two min recovery jog down.

I agree with the other commenter that upping cadence fixes a lot of things. Hard to heel strike at 180 steps per minute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stand up straight, stop slouching, stop extending your knee so far.

To truly fix this you'll go through a rash of injuries before it gets better.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do a search for BarryP's run drills - soup can hurdles come to mind

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the fastest runners in the world are heel strikers. There's not a lick of evidence that heel striking is bad for you or that it'll do any good to change it.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/.../12/191212104646.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Drills to Correct Straight Legged Heel Strike? [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
Some of the fastest runners in the world are heel strikers. There's not a lick of evidence that heel striking is bad for you or that it'll do any good to change it.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/.../12/191212104646.htm

^^^^^This.

Don't assume from a couple of race photos that you need to fix something in your stride. Unlike swimming, running is a natural activity for humans, and variations in form typically reflect variations in what is optimally efficient for each individual. If you look at Sanders, TO, and Brownlee; each has an unconventional running style yet all produce very fast times.

WRT your extended leg and heel strike:

Here are some pics from Kona....all of multiple Ironman winners.

Here's the guy who was 5th this year

etc., etc.....

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply