Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by windschatten
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 15, 18 21:06
Re: Dreitz Interview [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What were you expecting? For him to come out and say: "Oh yeah, Patrick paypal'ed me money before the race for me to pull him for almost 100 miles". ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This won't be good enough for the uberbiker sore loser fan boys who's bike train never made it out of town!
Quote Reply
Re: Dreitz Interview [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot on!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
This won't be good enough for the uberbiker sore loser fan boys who's bike train never made it out of town!
Nothing will. From the beginning they weren't interested in acknowledgement of the fact that they didn't break any rules, as far as anyone knows, always keeping the legal distance from each other. And by 'they' I mean the whole train, which was way longer than Dreitz + Lange.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 15, 18 23:03
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Since that has been some hot-button topic here regarding him pulling others around:

Also said that he really was trying hard to ride legal (that's why he went to the front).

He also said that he actually lifted his legs several times so that others would take the lead, but that he got no takers (I did see that all of them sat up and went to the brakes several times).

Yeah nah. Load a crap. If he really wanted a rest and someone to take the lead he simply would have kept on slowing till someone overtook him. They're not going to sit behind him as he pootles along at 10mph. Pull left and slam on the brakes. Are you really going to let some of the worlds best triathlon runners sit behind you and be cool with that? He's talking like it's his first time on a bike. You learn that kind of shit on training rides, where guys are fucked/lazy/selfish and don't want to work at the front. You force them to.
Quote Reply
Re: Dreitz Interview [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TO, Gomez, Currie (wow, 3/top 5) are as guilty as Lange. Just because they wear the same singlet doesn't make the other less guilty. Clear as day they all sat in and the benefit was rewarded. It's legal, well played.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 15, 18 23:22
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
windschatten wrote:
Since that has been some hot-button topic here regarding him pulling others around:

Also said that he really was trying hard to ride legal (that's why he went to the front).

He also said that he actually lifted his legs several times so that others would take the lead, but that he got no takers (I did see that all of them sat up and went to the brakes several times).

Yeah nah. Load a crap. If he really wanted a rest and someone to take the lead he simply would have kept on slowing till someone overtook him. They're not going to sit behind him as he pootles along at 10mph. Pull left and slam on the brakes. Are you really going to let some of the worlds best triathlon runners sit behind you and be cool with that? He's talking like it's his first time on a bike. You learn that kind of shit on training rides, where guys are fucked/lazy/selfish and don't want to work at the front. You force them to.

Only that on training rides I'm perfectly happy to be at the front as it gives you the most training benefit.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Oct 16, 18 0:35
Post deleted by zedzded [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by zedzded [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

He rode at the front and claimed he didn't know how to force someone else to take the lead, so he carried on burning matches like nobodie's business.

Did you actually watch the interview?

That's not what he claimed at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29tg6f4cyg

From 2:25 He says this:

"From Hawi, I pushed a bit harder. No one wanted to work with me. Now and then I really 'lifted' the legs (German for soft pedalled), no one showed they wanted to work. On the other hand, I didn't want to completely ruin my legs, so I treid to find my own rhythm and keep that. The group wasn't all that big, I race best when I can ride at my own pace, and I felt good right up to the end of the bike."

Can you point me to the bit you wrote above about burning mathces and claiming he didn't know how to force someone to take the lead, maybe I missed something? Or is this just the Slowtwicth armchair?

He comes accross really genuine and nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Dreitz Interview [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
zedzded wrote:

He rode at the front and claimed he didn't know how to force someone else to take the lead, so he carried on burning matches like nobodie's business.

"From Hawi, I pushed a bit harder. No one wanted to work with me. Now and then I really 'lifted' the legs (German for soft pedalled), no one showed they wanted to work. On the other hand, I didn't want to completely ruin my legs, so I treid to find my own rhythm and keep that. The group wasn't all that big, I race best when I can ride at my own pace, and I felt good right up to the end of the bike."

Can you point me to the bit you wrote above about burning mathces and claiming he didn't know how to force someone to take the lead, maybe I missed something? Or is this just the Slowtwicth armchair?

Yeah I don’t really think he did conspire with Lange, seems far fetched. Guess I just think his tactics were a tad naive?
Quote Reply
Re: Dreitz Interview [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:

But mah confirmation bias!!
Quote Reply
Re: Dreitz Interview [mrw42976] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gomez was eventually dropped from this pack and burnt too many matches trying to stay in it.

Contrary to popular belief round here he's not a weak biker, doesn't sound like Lange had it so easy to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On breakfast with Bob lange said he hadn't planned to bike with drietz who is usually further back after the swim but lange had a "bad swim" and used extra watts to hold on to the drietz train

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listening to an interview with Joe Skipper he mentioned that he had to sit up a lot and that moving forward was difficult due to the length of the train.
From what it sounds like he decided it was smarter to sit in rather than burn matches accelerating to the front of the group.
Quote Reply
Re: Dreitz Interview [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On breakfast with Bob lange said he hadn't planned to bike with drietz who is usually further back after the swim but lange had a "bad swim" and used extra watts to hold on to the drietz train

But in the same interview he said he owes a lot to his teammate and that "we had to fight to stay on his wheel".

I realize this is legal but it's really a shame because triathlon has become a team sport. I simply don't understand why they can't implement something like a 20m draft or staggered lines (alternate rider must be back 10m and far to the left) and why they don't enforce drafting in the age group races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Guess I just think his tactics were a tad naive?

In terms of giving the others a free ride, probably - he said he wanted top 10 and just missed out. Not sure what else he could have done - he said he found the Queen K really hard on the run, and he needs to improve there.

It's a fine line with these guys.

I think we read a lot more into the situation than actually happens, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
zedzded wrote:
windschatten wrote:

That certainly makes for a strong argument that he was not knowing what he was doing and riding like a rookie, doesn't it?

Nice try. Play again.

Ok. I'll play and I call bullshit.

Two problems with your comments above:

1. He's a rookie??? Give an f'en break. Being a rookie at Kona doesn't mean you're new to riding a freakin' bike in draft-legal train. He's a professional triathlete and he's been in plenty of draft-legal trains in his life. He knows exactly what he needs to do if he doesn't want to pull the train anymore.

2. You said, "I did see that all of them sat up and went to the brakes several times." Btw, this is what happens in a draft-legal train. There is inherent variability because everyone behind the leader is doing everything in their power to maintain the legal distance (nothing more, nothing less). This means you will be sitting up, coasting or even potentially hitting the brakes on occasion. The occasion isn't necessarily that often but several times over the period that Drietz pulled Lange and Currie is certainly more than realistic.
Last edited by: lakerfan: Oct 16, 18 21:37
Quote Reply
Re: Dreitz Interview [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:
2. You said, "I did see that all of them sat up and went to the brakes several times." Btw, this is what happens in a draft-legal train. There is inherent variability because everyone behind the leader is doing everything in their power to maintain the legal distance (nothing more, nothing less). This means you will be sitting up, coasting or even potentially hitting the brakes on occasion. The occasion isn't necessarily that often but several times over the period that Drietz pulled Lange and Currie is certainly more than realistic.
That happens regardless. No one is in aero all the time. That we saw them grabbing the base bars doesn't mean they were coasting or anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got to hang out with Andi a bit in Roth. What a GREAT guy! Super personality, very nice, witty, and really fast. All around good guy. He was 2nd in Roth going 7:53.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Dreitz Interview [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
lakerfan wrote:

That happens regardless. No one is in aero all the time. That we saw them grabbing the base bars doesn't mean they were coasting or anything else.

You're just being argumentative. There's an "or" in my statement which means "coasting or anything else" isn't required to happen at the same time. These actions can occur simultaneously or not. Of course, how is that not self-evident?

The simple fact is that sitting up and going to your brakes (as you claim) is bound to happen when sitting in a draft-legal train for a long time. If he didn't want to pull anymore then all he needed to do was move to the left and forcibly drop back. It's really that simple. He's not an idiot.

Why is it so hard for people to admit they're wrong?
Quote Reply

Prev Next