Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Double Jogging Strollers advice
Quote | Reply
Am thinking of getting a double jogging stroller for the wife. Did a little research and looks like the BOB ironman series is top of the line. Was curious for those that have used them, which brands they have had luck with, maybe a little less expensive option? She is training for a marathon, but she probably would mainly use it for her intermediate 4-8 mile runs during the week, but probably not her long runs (which is why I think I might be able to get by without the top of the line)... Or for a double stroller, do I just need to fork out the $$$ and get top of the line?
Quote Reply
Re: Double Jogging Strollers advice [Spoilermaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you are using it for just running, then i would recommend getting the stationary front wheel (non swivel) and perhaps look into a Chariot. they have suspension on the rear that makes for a smoother ride for the kids.

if you plan on using it for standard stroller uses, i would HIGHLY suggest getting one of the ones with a swivel front wheel that locks in a straight line for jogging. the ones with a swivel are waaaaaaay easier to deal with in stores and crowds since you don't have to lift the front wheel off the ground to turn.

good luck getting two kids to be cooperative for the run though.......

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spoilermaker wrote:
Am thinking of getting a double jogging stroller for the wife. Did a little research and looks like the BOB ironman series is top of the line. Was curious for those that have used them, which brands they have had luck with, maybe a little less expensive option? She is training for a marathon, but she probably would mainly use it for her intermediate 4-8 mile runs during the week, but probably not her long runs (which is why I think I might be able to get by without the top of the line)... Or for a double stroller, do I just need to fork out the $$$ and get top of the line?

Last year I used to see a guy at memorial park with a 3-wide stroller... talk about running with a parachute!

-Jason
Quote | Reply
Can't comment on a double. But I have a Bob Revolution single and love it. Lock the front wheel for running.

-------------------------
Trek Madone 5.9SL
Felt B12 (sold)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a new mom, of one child 21 months, we ended up with both the Bob and the Chariot. I did/do the majority of my runs with the Bob when the weather is reasonable. We choose the Bob originally because the car seat could fit on it and it packed relatively well and we could run with it. However come last spring we ended up spending more money and bought the Chariot for the bike feature (but also bought the running feature because they threw in the package for free). We are a one car family so the Chariot helps for transportation purposes and when the weather is crap we tend to take it on a run. The "cockpit" is pretty contained and they can't throw anything out :)

In addition, I mostly run with the Bob front wheel unlocked and I enjoy being able to manouver easily (but it can be tricky at fast speeds) and switching to running with the Chariot I find the locked front wheel something you really have to get used to.

Not sure if it helps but thats my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the single Bob Sport Utility Stroller and LOVE IT. Would like to upgrade to the double with #2 only weeks away from arrival. The front wheel is locked, but it's got the shocks, the knobby tires which are fantastic on dirt roads and pavement, can be set up for one infant adaptor if your kids are very young, and not so young. Love the BOB. It's expensive, but I've had a few friends go the cheaper route, only to go for the BOB once they couldn't stand running with the cheapo. If you can wait, you can usually get 20% off at some retailers, helps a little bit, but you have to be patient and look for the sale.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Double Jogging Strollers advice [SCOTTinNJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SCOTTinNJ wrote:
Can't comment on a double. But I have a Bob Revolution single and love it. Lock the front wheel for running.

Why do you lock the front wheel? I've never run with mine locked, and I'm wondering why I would.

Quote Reply
Re: Double Jogging Strollers advice [slidell4life] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's easier to maintain control at speed. I've tried strollers with unlocked front wheels and it can be a handful. I typically run with just one hand on the stroller. With a locked front wheel, it's always going in a relatively straight line. With an unlocked front wheel, the stroller would always wander and require a lot more input from me to keep controlled. I found this to be tiring after a very short time. It wasn't so bad at parks with wide paths, but on crappy sidewalks it is annoying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bob Revolution Duallie SE. Dont bother with anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've got the BOB revolution dual. Out of necessity I probably run 2-3 times per week, 4-8 miles per run, with the kids. I lock the swivel front wheel when I think of it, but honestly it's not that big of a deal to leave it in "swivel" mode. I have nothing bad to say about it...well worth the $ if pushing a stroller while running is part of your reality. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if your in the area. We have a Double BabyJogger with the bigger wheels/ aluminum wheels my wife keeps talking of selling. Since our youngest is now in 3rd grade, it has not been used for a few years. But worked great for her.

The thing is besides pushing it, all of them are tricky to run with cause you lose your arm swing. But it worked for wife. As a matter of fact I think she is ready to sell the single we have also.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Double Jogging Strollers advice [slidell4life] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slidell4life wrote:
SCOTTinNJ wrote:

Why do you lock the front wheel? I've never run with mine locked, and I'm wondering why I would.

As jkuo wrote, it's easier to maintain control at speed. But I guess at speed is the key part. If you don't notice any balance issues when turning, you might not be running fast enough to need it. I know that at around 7:30-8:30 pace, it's helpful.

-------------------------
Trek Madone 5.9SL
Felt B12 (sold)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have both, a single bob and double chariot and the Chariot is by far better in every aspect. As small rolling as you can get. Find it used as they are very expensive new.
Quote Reply
Re: Double Jogging Strollers advice [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The locked wheel tracks much better when running at speed. Plus I feel more comfortable just letting go of it sometimes to rest my hands and let it coast while I run behind it. Obviously use the wrist strap lanyard if you do this to avoid a runaway bob if you fall. And don't make the mistake my friend made of looping the strap though the handle. When he tripped the strap caught the handle and the stroller did a wheelie and stopped abruptly with the kids on theyre backs. Luckily they werent hurt. They loved the ride and asked him to do it again, but still...

Also, I recommend the Bob with the smooth tires, not the knobbies, unless you run on serious trails. The resistance is a lot less and youre already pushing enough weight. I run mine with smooth tires on a crushed granite gravel trail and lack of traction is never a problem.

Lastly, don't worry about your kids liking it. Mine two act like we're going to Disneyland everytime I mention running with them. My key to success is to not give either of them any toys in the stroller. It gives them nothing to fight over and forces them to learn to enjoy being outside and to be entertained by watching everything go by, and by yelling at me, "faster daddy, faster!" My kids are no angels by any means, but the running stroller is not the place they act up. They love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I almost never lock the front either. I find it much easier to dodge people, turn corners and other manuevers with the swivel front. I find the swivel front really helps if the surface slopes to the side. I do find the front wheel can get off line and skitter about when I get a bump or take a turn really fast especially if I don't keep the weight on it, but I have never noticed a stability issue. The majority of the time I run with only one hand on the stroller.

The only time I lock the front is when I am going on a long straight with very few people that is flat from side to side. I usually push an 8/min mile with the stroller and have gotten it up to about 6:30 on a good downhill.
Quote Reply
Re: Double Jogging Strollers advice [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the Cougar Double, also have the Mountain Buggy. The Cougar is great for running. It has suspension for a smooth ride for the kids and has great harnesses to keep them secure. It also has a nice system for enclosing the cabin in case it rains or is buggy...and also keeps the sun off the kids.

My kids are out of it now - I live in NJ too. I've got the connection to hook it on to the bike of my bike and also the wheels that go on the front to make it easier to use as a stroller. Let me know if you are interested.

andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Double Jogging Strollers advice [sak35] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Andrew - I sent you an email...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Chariot was the first purchase we made when my wife became pregnant. We got the Double, and now have had both kids in it - 6 years later (damm time flies). I could not recommend it more. We have the bike kit and the ski kit, and have continue to use it every week.

Db
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Bob stroller (Ironman)
- locked wheel version
- smooth tire version

'nuff said.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chariot Cougar 2. No question, especially if you're even maybe thinking of biking with it. I'd put it up against a BOB running any day as well. We run with ours 99% of the time. Lots of other threads with all the same discussion, do a quick search for Chariot or Bob and you'll find them. We have a 2 year old and a 4 year old that have grown up in the Chariot and they can tolerate 6-7 miles. Good luck. We love running with our boys.
Quote Reply
Re: Double Jogging Strollers advice [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey
$500 and weed to my builder resulted in Serious SPEED!
650c wheels x 3, frt steering, HB height adjustable for me at 6-2, her at 5-2
Sick fun.........use 559 mtn rims in winter with studded slicks
Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We bought a BOB Revolution with our first- it got a lot of use (always with the wheel unlocked). Loved it. With baby #2, we bought the double Cougar Chariot. While I loved the Revolution, and still use it as an all-around stroller for the baby with the car seat, the Chariot does have a number of features that IMO make a big difference in terms of usability- the various attachments for bike/strolling/hiking are obvious, but my favorite part about the Chariot vs. the Revolution/other jogging strollers is the closed compartment with integrated mesh cover, rain cover and sun shade. My daughter hated the BOB raincover, which meant no running in windy, very cold or drizzling weather. Also, the BOB raincover is a pain- the Chariot system means you never forget it at home when you need it, and no fussing around with getting it on/off. That said, the Chariot sun shade is not as adjustable as the BOB one, and while our two year old is pretty happy with it since she is sitting up higher, the baby gets sun in his eyes occasionally. Since the kids are in the same compartment they stay warm and keep each other company. Closed compartment also means you are not stopping to pick up stuff they dropped out of the stroller, and no kamikaze toddlers launching themselves onto the foot platform of the BOB mid run. However, closed compartment makes for a tougher time handing the kids drinks/snacks/toys, so it really depends on the age/personality of your kids as to which is better. With the sunshade down, either stroller makes it tough to see what the kids are doing, but with the BOB, you can adjust it mid-run. The Chariot appears to have more 'headroom' than the BOB, but the kids will be closer together, so only consider the Chariot if they like to snuggle (mine do).The double chariot also folds down really well, which is an issue if you ever want to take it through normal doors (yes, most double strollers are too wide for normal doors) or pack it into a car (it fits into our Jetta trunk with some room to spare). I do miss the swivel wheel of the Revolution when running with the Chariot, so I would never consider the BOB Ironman. I am short 5'3" and really hate 'lifting' the locked front wheel, it takes a lot more effort than for my husband at 6'2" who just leans on the handlebar...perhaps your wife is tall and you avoid this problem. I would look at the double Revolution or a double Chariot- in terms of $$$, check REI when it has the 30% coupon, or else Craiglist or ebay.
Quote Reply
Re: Double Jogging Strollers advice [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomP_imc wrote:
Hey
$500 and weed to my builder resulted in Serious SPEED!
650c wheels x 3, frt steering, HB height adjustable for me at 6-2, her at 5-2
Sick fun.........use 559 mtn rims in winter with studded slicks
Tom

wow you are admitting to drug trafficking... great example for the kids

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have only used the Bob Double, so I can't compare, but I love the Bob. We use it as an everyday and for jogging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI - I have a double Chariot too....mine has the stroller attachment and the bike attachment....you could add the jogger kit. My kids have grown out of it, so I will gladly send it to a good home at a reasonable price.

You'd love either mine or Andrew's.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply

Prev Next