Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Doping or not?
Quote | Reply
This year has been the worst ever in terms of allergies for me. Running nose, itchy throat and eyes. My pills etc don't work. Apparently it is a tough year for everyone and I have sucked it up. Spoke with a non-athletic friend the other day who told me that his doc gave him a shot in April and that he hasn't felt anything after that. Seemed like a great solution to my problem. I don't know what they use to "cure" allergies though, neither did my friend on the fly, so does anyone here know? And is it considered doping?
Quote Reply
Re: Doping or not? [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have severe allergies and moderate to severe asthma, and am thus very familiar with the USADA requirements.

The two injections that I am aware of for allergies are a: immunotherapy shots and b: Xolair. Both are legal under USADA. Neither is a one-time thing, though, so I'm not sure that's what this person got. (Xolair is also a hail mary/last chance sort of drug - you don't start it without having exhausted everything else first).

As for other allergy/asthma drugs: leukotriene inhibitors (Singulair) are legal at all times; antihistamines are legal at all times; corticosteroids are legal at all times when inhaled, taken nasally, or applied topically (they are only allowed out of competition if taken orally or rectally).

Most beta-agonists are banned, except for three that are allowed when inhaled in limited qualities (those 3 include the beta-agonist components in albuterol inhalers, Advair, Dulera, and Symbicort - other inhaled medications like Breo are not allowed).

To know whether this injection was legal, you need to first know what it was, and then look it up on Global DRO.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping or not? [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it was a Kenalog shot? If so, not prohibited out of competition, prohibited in competition.

I have friends who get them, and their doctors typically want them to limit their use to 1 time every 6 month.
Quote Reply