Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Doping - great initiative
Quote | Reply
from France ;-)

The company Wall has created a new label given to sport supplements called 'Wall-Protect' (TM) that guarantees these supplements to be manufacturered following a quality controlled process which ensures they are free of any doping substances.

Wall partners with

CLIPA - fed sanctioned comp. responsible for manuf. controle, stock, or products for clinical research

Dept. of Mass Spectro at Univ. of Montpellier

Crid-Pharma (like cLIPA more or less)

Spotter and Gen-etiq who work on ethics issues, communication with the media etc...

Now, some cheaters will have no more excuse...hopefully this thing will be done here too
Quote Reply
Re: Doping - great initiative [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois,

First, I respect your opinion (not always agree), you seem to think and more important inform yourself before you post.

But on this doping question, which seems to be of great interest to you, I feel you're somehow on the wrong path. This is not specifically on this post but a general feeling I have about your comments on PED.

Although I like the idea of the mentioned lable, I don't see the value it has to prevent cheaters from taking PED's. An excuse gone, true, but excuses come in all forms, even grandmothers brew some kind of tea to treat a cold (Claudio Ciapucci I belive:-))

Here are some of my thoughts, no facts, no solutions but maybe some new points of view:

Professional Cycling or Triathlon is a profession. Therefore, racing at the TDF or an IM as a pro is a job. The Stakeholders will have some kind of employment contract for that job e.g. pro licence. When I choose a job as a physicist, I get an offer which includes the conditions and rules under which I will work. Then I can descide weather I want the job or not. If I don't play by the rules, I get fired. How is that different form professional sports?

I am almost certain that one could design a procedure that will almost exclude the possibility of an athlete taking an illeagal substance. This would obviously include regular blood and urin sampling (probably bi-weekly or so) during the whole period of the contract, year round. Every athlete will have it's own "fingerprint" of substances in his/her blood. It would then be easy to predict what and when an athlete would benefit from what kind of substance and check for those substances more specifically. A doping positive would then not be a one time thing but a history. Like every company the UCI or ITU have to check on their emplyees.

The only drawback I see is cost. But If the sponsors want to continue on using the lable of triathlon or cycling, they might have to invest, or the whole thing goes down the drain after it's completly washed out.

As an example:

Athlete X wins olympic gold. The same athlete gets tested positve a couple month later at a unimportant race or in training, maybe with some BS about transportation or time-line for the samples. What and whom should we and the sponsors believe, or do we even care?

Athlete Y wins olympic gold. He or she has a 20% performance increase over 1 month before the olympics and the blood-picture (e.g. haem. dest. etc.) changes significantly over that period. The athlete can be specifically tested for substances that might cause those changes or when a positive test occurs a couple month later, we have something to campare with.
Quote Reply
Re: Doping - great initiative [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it will certainly not prevent people from cheating...in the last 5,000 years of 'modern' history nothing has prevented anyone from cheating and it will likely stay the same for the next 5,000 years.

But then, it still is one excuse people can't use...and more importantly (I didn't mention it as I thought it was obvious) it will allow clean athletes to make sure they take supplements that are not tainted...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A step, a SMALL step, but a good step...I like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]But then, it still is one excuse people can't use...and more importantly (I didn't mention it as I thought it was obvious) it will allow clean athletes to make sure they take supplements that are not tainted... [/reply]

That, I believe, is one of the most important things. The thought of an otherwise clean athlete testing positive because the carb powder he bought had trace amounts of something bad in it (because the company was shady and manufactured that stuff on the side), is abbhorent to me. The athlete could lose the rest of his career, and it's the company's fault!!

The question is, if a supplement got this label and was still tainted, who would be blamed? Would the athlete still receive a suspension?

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply