Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dogs
Quote | Reply
I have rethought my stand on dogs and leashes.I love this tri lifestyle. I think our world would be much better off if everyone read slowtwitch, biked to work and did some exercise.

If walking their dog is what gets some people out, I for one think it is a great thing. Actually after thinking it over , the only time I have gotten up set with a dog on a leash running in front of me was when I was overtrained and just needed a break. ( I tend to do this sometimes).

I know my mother stayed much more active and healthy while her dog was alive. I read about older people who die shortly after they lose their dog. Dogs just add something to our lives. Have you seen the new prison program where dogs are used as therepy.

After much thought I started watching people in the park with their dogs. Most of these people would not be out if it wasn't for the dog and they seem to be so happy. Heck I can step off the sidewalk for them It's not like I'm unable to run anywhere except concrete.

I had dogs while growing up and have some very happy memories. My dog and I went everywhere and never had a leash.

Just Please don't let them run in front of my bike . I have seen people hurt by this.

One last story we have one bike route and everyday this big yellow dog would chase us. We hated this dog. When newbies would ride with us we never mentioned the dog . When we got close everyone would jump to a sprint leaving the newbie wondering what was going on. We would hear Hey , what, OH you sons of B_t_hes. It was always good for a laught. Well we named him old yeller and as time pasted he got older and slower . Would just come out a little ways, heck sometimes we would call to him. Then one day he was gone. We still tell old yeller stories.

Anyway I changed my mind some. DO NOT START WITH MY SPELLING.
Quote Reply
Re: Dogs [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While on this subject, something that has been bothering me lately is these invisible fences that we don't know are there. The dogs run like they are going to get you and then stop right at the edge of the yard. Natural reaction is to veer, like into a car, away from the dogs.

A couple of weeks ago I was out running near where I knew there was a nasty German Shepard with an invisible fence in the front yard. From the other direction comes a mother with a very young baby in a stroller. The dog tears after them and she goes in a a histerical panic not knowing the invisible fence in there. I litrerally had to hug and hold her up she was so terrified.

Any one know of any regs regarding the invisible fences?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your a better man then me. Even when wrong I bitterly defend my indefenseable position. Good to see your a thinking man.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know every dog along my running route. I make it a point to talk to the owners and ask about the dogs when I see a new one. The only one that has ever caused me grief is a Minature Schnauzer(sp?), that dude bites! All the other are nice as can be even the huge Rott that I would avoid like he plague.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love dogs. I've had dogs and we've always kept them in the house or fenced in yard. No roaming.

A RANT FOLLOWS:

Unfortunatley, my neighborhood is rural (3 to 6 acre 'farmettes'). NO ONE keeps their dogs fenced in and there are no leash laws. It is so frustrating. My neighbors are the nicest people but this is the country and the mentality is that dogs should roam free. My wife and I go for a run and end up with a pack of 5 dogs running with us - criss crossing in front and behind us. They are having a great time! We get the dirtiest looks from cars that go by (you know - the "why are you running with your dogs in the middle of the road"!!?? look). I was pretty patient until last month when a little 'yipper dog' came at me and my wife and bit my wife's calf. Punctured the skin and caused bad bruising. I was furious. I went to talk to the owner and he was very apologetic. He had taken the dog from someone else and had no rabies papers! I think that he was afraid that we would sue him. My wife healed and had no problems but it just made me so mad! The owner ending up giving the dog away... My wife always carries pepper spray these days and I don't think she'd hesitate to use it.

Let's not even start talking about how drivers think it is OK to drive down a one lane neighborhood country road at 40mph just a couple of feet from you while you are running or cycling....and these are my neighbors....
Quote Reply