Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dog & Owner Confrontation
Quote | Reply
This is just to vent officially about a dog and owner confrontation. It was earlier in the summer and was riding a training course of 16 miles. I had ridden this course many times and always was ready for the two Chihuahuas that came to chase. No big deal, right? I always had a head of steam up in anticipation of the dogs (a pair of them) who could calculate vectors to head me off, but didn't have the speed to intersect me. Well, on this day there was a headwind and the owners had mowed the corner weeds (this was in a very rural area) and the dogs were watching for me. They calculated the intersect correctly and had me stopped in front of their owner's house--not because of fear of being bitten, but rather the worry of the dogs getting in the spokes and endo'ing me and injuring them. I would try to take off and they would be under the cranks. So, I used a short spray of Halt dog repellent and they did back off sneezing...but the owner of the dogs observed this and was immediately swearing at me with all manner of sailor would blush terms. At first I tried to explain the concern about crashing, hurting the dogs, etc, but this was not to be sufficient. After she declared that I was a pu$$y (please forgive this offensive term, as it is not my term) and a variety of other foul names, I decided that the conversation was over, so (as the dogs had backed off), I took off on the bike only to hear her say "I'm not done with you yet!" I ignored the remark and went on my way, but she wasn't done with me yet. I look over my should and hear her yelling at me from her car as she pulled up and then turned in front of me on the road, cutting me off from forward progress. I walked the bike around the car and went on without a word. Fortunately, that was the end of the experience, but I did talk to the Sheriff's department (who offered to talk to the "lady") but I declined and opted to find a different route. My worry about the dogs ended up being rather misplaced as it turned out.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [jlb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"two Chihuahuas .......I used a short spray of Halt dog repellent and they did back off sneezing...but the owner "

Chihauhuas and dog spray? A bit of over kill isn't it. It would be perhaps different if you were talking about Rottweilers. The owner was in her perfect right to p*ssed at you for using dog spray when a water bottle would have easily sufficed. I would have been to.

Im a dog owner/lover that lives in a rural area where farm dogs running free on their property is a part of life. Learn to live with it just like I have. No need to use Rambo tactics against dogs that weigh about as much as your water bottle.

Sorry, no sympathy from me.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jib... I feel you did the right thing...

If it is a rural area , and there are dogs running around, thats understandable... But as far as i know... The dog spray does Not one bit of permanent damage to the dogs... And as you stated VERY clearly, you stoped because the dogs were almost UNDER you... So FVck the dogs... If they god under you, YOU would have crashed... Dogs are not very intelegent... well, some breeds are more then others , but i dont know those little rat dogs to be very bright... And if an animal was comming at me and was so small that they were under me... I would stop too... For fear of hurting THEM!!! and for fear of falling all over there dead carcas... because it gets stuck in my wheel... For some reason Cervelo dude does not seem to understand that... But whatever... If it was me, i would have stoped, and because i dont carey spray, i would have to wait for the owner to come and take the dogs... Or possibly kick them away... But the owner would probably not like that either... And if i didnt stop, And ran one over, killing it ... Would the owner like that as well??? Bottom line... If you have an animal, You need to control it... Sure, let it run free, without any regard for what it does, GREAT!!! but if a car or cyclist runns over it, Dont get pissed... But anyway... Screw that old bag, i would not have changed my route either, Unless you didnt really care for it to beggin with... But if its only the dogs that made you change, i would go back... And if that woman tries to use her car as a weapon or blockade again? (completely illegal by the way) Use the FVcking spray on her...

Teach her to control her dogs and HERSELF!!!
Quote Reply
Size matters not [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chihuahua's or not, it's a public safety concern. I live in an urban area and I feel that dogs need to be able to be controlled by their owners at all times. In our area, that means on leashes. Rural or not, this was an accident waiting to happen. I like animals too, but not at the sacrifice of a possible injury to a human. Eventually, those Chihuahua's will be roadkill thanks to that stupid owner. Then what? Is she going to sue the driver of the car for killing little Chalupa? If the owner was willing to wait and watch what you were going to do to her dogs before taking action, Halt or a squirt from a water bottle would have made no difference. You're actually doing a favor for the dogs that the irressponsible owner never did, letting them know that there are consequences for their actions. These dogs need training. Irressponsible pet owners piss me off. Spray on.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btw the cocker is doing great...had the grooming today. was a bit shy the first night and slept downstairs on the tiles...the next day, he tried on the bed between my wife and me...was explained nicely it was no, but he is doing just fine...
love to have him here!
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your intentions were good. it is unfortunate if the dog owner did not "get it". I too woud be pretty upset by dog spray, but it sounds from your willingness to adopt another dog that your are an animal lover and meant no real harm. I would say that you did all you can, just avoid that route. I also WOULD have the police speak to her as you never know when you might encounter her again on the road.

my two cents.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [lajollaseal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks but the pepper sprayer and the dog adopter are two different persons :-)

I was just telling cerveloguy that the dog was doing great and that my wife and I are really please to have him at home...
he is still a bit scared at times but he is fine otherwise. thanks for the tips.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up in as rural a place as can be. I think it was perfectly fine to spray the dogs. In Washington the dog owner could have charged with several crimes, 1 for the dogs and 2 for attempted assault. Anytime someone in a car goes after someone else that's assault. It is 100% irresponsible to allow dogs to run free, even if it's rural. I don't know how anyone can think it's ok for dogs to run out on the road. What if that person would have hit one and been hurt, how could that be ok?

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[snip]

i agree with the poster who suggested that a water bottle would've probably worked for the chihuahuas, which is to say, you used the pepper spray on the wrong bitch.

i don't get too militant about dogs (but i do about people using their vehicles to teach me a lesson). water bottles work on dogs, pepper spray works, and i broke a frame pump over the head of a particularly ambitious dog once. none of these things will hurt the dog, rather, it'll possibly save the dog. if i was the owner of a dog that chased cyclists, i would THANK the cyclist who gave my dog a hit of pepper spray. that would be a cheap lesson for the dog.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really pisses me off when I have to waste perfectly good fluids from my water bottle on spraying a stupid dog.

Cerveloguy, you need to separate your love for pooches and awareness that uncontrolled canines can wreak major havoc on cyclists. Where I live more of my cyclist friends have crashed due to encounters with dogs than gravel or automobiles.

This morning I got chased by dogs three times during a 62 km. ride. Once I had to get off the bike and put it between me and Cujo, then spray it with water until the owner called it off. The second one was already a tripod and ran too slow to get me, although it obviously hadn't learned its lesson. And the third one was pretty vicious and chased me into the middle of the road. Sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for fang-baring buggers like those. I spray with my water bottle, but I'd use pepper spray or whatever non-lethal formula I could if necessary to keep a dog away from me and my Look. Eventually they might learn that riders can be mean back, and then they won't bolt out at us and possibly cause a serious accident to them, us, or all parties.
Quote Reply
Re: Size matters not [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Chihuahua's or not, it's a public safety concern."

I won't disagree there, but dog spray. C'mon we're talking tiny little minature dogs not 150 lb Rottweillers.

I live in a rural area. My wife and I bike regularly past farms where there are big dogs running loose. They bark, they chase along their property line but none has ever given us a problem. In fact to the dogs it's all fun and us riding by is one of the highlites of their day.

However, there is this one annoying tiny little Yorkshire Terrier that runs across the road and nips at my wife's ankles. We've blasted him with spray from our water bottles a couple of times and he backs right off. That's one hell of a lot nicer solution than nuking a 1 lb. dog with spray designed to hold off a rabid German Shepherd.

Sorry, I'm not cutting the original poster any slack for using dog spray on such little dogs. Using dog spray on a Chihuahua instead of a squirt from the water bottle is over kill. If I was the owner I'd be really p*ssed off also. However, if he had used the water bottle I'm sure she would likely have been far more understanding. By carrying dog spray in the first place it almost seems that the rider was expecting or perhaps looking for dog trouble.
Quote Reply
Re: Size matters not [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy, your "dead dog" wrong. The owner and yourself, just don't get it. Jlb had the spray because of the owner, her lack of responsibility and jlb's previous experience. Jlb probably would have never had even thought about actively going out to purchase Halt spray AND use it if this dog owner was responsible. But jlb, being the conscientious triathlete they are, went out and spent their own money and time to purchase a very specific product meant specifically to stop, but not harm dogs.

Now, you say that jlb was wrong and that they need to suck it up and ride elswhere. NO WAY! Public roads are exactly that, public. To have an irresponsible AND FELONIOUS chihuahua (or any pet) owner require this is completely unacceptable. As a taxpayer, I would fight for these rights for you, too.

People, stand up and fight for what's yours or it will be taken from you! Never give in, even if it's "just a Chihuahua."

Sean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This won't go over well with dog fans, but I would have most likely pulled over and punted the dogs a few yards. They got off lightly when you Dog Sprayed them. In fact, if the lady would have done that to me, I most liekly would have used it on her too. As mentioned above, threatening someone with your car IS A CRIME and I would say you would have been well within your rights to write her liscence plate # down, and then press charges. Nothing has turned my 30 years of liking dogs to dislike in less than 8 months more than training for tris.

I have had to numerous amounts of dogs chase me on the bike, and have had several close calls with dogs while running. The problem is the owners ignorance but in the end it is the dog I must deal with.

Cerveloguy, you need to get two chihuahas (sp?) and get them all riled up and let them bite you a few times. Sure they are small, but their bite can break the skin in numerous spots and cause the person pain, infection, rabies, etc... The fact that they weigh 1 lbs doesn't matter. NO ONE "wants" to be bitten by a flea, let alone a dog of any size.

I had a weiner dog heel nip me for a mile one a few occasions and this is my prime training run area. I REFUSE to avoid it because it is ideal for me and my location and is along a public road. Finally after being chased for the 15th or so times, I pulled up short and kicked the dog about 15 yards through the air off of the side of the road. I didn't even break my stride but kept going. Don't know what happened to the dog, but it hasn't chased me once since then.

Dog Owners need to face reality and look up Dog Leash and Roaming Laws for their county. I can guarentee you that every county has laws saying something to the effect that dogs cannot be allowed to roam free on public roads. If you allow it to happen, don't be surprised when they don't come home for one reason (pissed off triathlete) or another (car goes vroom, dog goes splat).
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is one of those topics that shows the mindset of many(not all) dog owners. My father has a chihuahua, and when it runs into the street after people, and occasionally bites at small children, he blames the people for antagonizing the dog. As if the dog is not some twisted incarnation from Hell.

The bottom line, from my point of view, and if I'm not mistaken, the law backs this up, is that you as a dog owner are required to handle your animal in a manner such that it does not endanger other people, regardless of the dog's size. If your dog can't stay off the road and out of people's way, then you should have it on a runner or in a cage. This is for both the dog's safety and the safety of people. The dog does NOT have equal rights to roam free, regardless of whether you are urban or rural. Most places have leash laws.

As for the dog owner, she should be locked up. She clearly has no sense of proper behavior and does not value the lives of her fellow humans. The continuation of her twisted value system is yet another harbinger of the decline of Western civilization. I agree with Dan's post that the woman's reaction to her dogs being maced is assault with a deadly weapon. Lock her up now.

And I think Mace was acceptable as a defense option. Little dogs can give you rabies too, and let's not all assume that the dogs have had their shots.

At the end of the day, the only thing that binds us together as people is that we act with mutual respect for one another and our mutual well-being. As soon as one of us fails in that regard, the covenant between us is broken, and we become enemies in the struggle for survival.

Disclaimer: I have owned dogs in the past, and I like dogs a lot. But if my dog ever went after someone on foot or on a bike, I would slap the shit out of the little bastard.

------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: jmorrissey: Sep 9, 03 3:22
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont care what kind of dog it is,any dog can send you to the hospital with injurys that will stay with you the rest of your life,I have had dogs all my life and love them but have also told owners if i ever see your dog again i will kill it,sounds harsh??I am walking around with a bad hip from a dog in the road
Quote Reply
Re: Size matters not [Roughster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Owners like that make me angry. You can't back down from her. Spray her dogs and call the police on that b****. There is no reason why you should let a woman with chihuahuas intimidate you. Spray her the next time, or better yet, paintball her vehicle and/or house.

Ride on that road and make sure you have good aim to fire the mace against her as well as her dogs. There is no reason why you should not ride on that road. Take your cell phone with you, as well to call the police.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JLB,

You had every right to act the way you did. Dogs, large or small can inflict damage. As you mentioned if one of these little dogs had gotten under your bike you might be nursing a broken collar bone now.

Though water might have worked, there is no guarantee it would have. I feel that using pepper spray is well withing your right. You have a right to protect yourself and your belongings and had every right to be on the road.

The bigger problem is idiot dog owners...i have a dog (an english bulldog) and I not only have an electric fence but i also have him completely trained not to chase anyone or anything. If someone goes by running or biking he just sits there and looks at them. (for the record I had him trained not to chase long before we got the electric fence..we moved into a different house and put the fence in as a precautionary.), in fact the training works better than the fence does....in my opinion if he chased someone and someone hit him with spray thats his fault, he knows better. People take no responsibilty for their actions or their dogs actions. If people actually cared about their animals they would have them trained to behave properly. I have a friend who has a doberman who is trained with hand and voice signals. Anybody can walk into the house and if they know the signals can get the dog to do anything. As my friend said "you cant have a doberman that isnt trained, you just cant"....every dog is trainable, too bad the owners arent.

Never apologize to a dog owner when youre the one that was chased.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I am concerned people first, and dogs somewhere after that. They are animals and should be leashed if not in a confined area. I have on several occasions warned an owner that I was about to kick their dog (I was on a run). Amazing how quickly they pick up their mutt when a 225 lb 6'3" runner is about to drop kick the furry football. I love dogs, I just hate irresponsible owners.

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got bit by a little mutt no bigger than a one of those "rats on steroids", while on a run once in the rural area outside of town. Evertime i passed by this house wether riding or running the little mutt would run along the road, never bothering me except barking. Water didn't do a thing for it, it had plenty of water sent its way. Finally one day it made it move and lept of the little hill after i passed and got me in the calf. My first reaction was to kick the little bastard which i did, and then my buddy and i went off on the owner. The dog broke the skin, so i when i got home i reported that the dog bit me, the pound took the dog away for quarantine to insure the owner wasn't lying about the dog being free of rabies. Luckily the dog didn't have rabies.

I am owner of 2 dogs, love them to death,they are never out side without a leash. They are very friendly dogs, but, they are dogs and anything can set them off. As a dog owner you are responsible for there actions. it makes no difference what size the dog is, they should not be on the road, do what ever needs to be done to insure your safety, if it's pepper spary so be it, personally i prefer water. The reason being if you are with a group of riders and use pepper spray there is that chance that it can get into your fellow riders eyes, and cause a lot of discomort and danger.

Use the water, and pet owners be responsible and keep the dogs under control. Otherwise live with the actions.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are riding- let me guess- a $1K bike- and you got caught by a pair of sickly, inbred Chihuahuas? And were scared to the point that you maced them? And you admit that in public? Well, that's a topic for another day...

OK, look, as a non-spandex wearing dog owner I'm going to tell it to you straight. I live in a rural area BECAUSE I can let my dog run off the leash. That's why I moved there. Little did I know there would be gaggles of whiny bikers every weekend zipping around spoiling the peaceful scenery. You are the jet skiiers of the urban landscape, and I don't like it.

Think about it- you put on bright, colorful clothes and you spit-shine your bike to attract maximum attention. Girls see it easily, but so does my dog. When you go up the hill past my house, your gears clatter and clank as you downshift, and that, combined with your very unathletic wheezing (it's a steep hill), makes you an easy mark. What self-respecting dog wouldn't give chase to a purple, white and pink, obviously half-dead (based on the smell), wheezing creature pedaling frantically in first gear and going 1 mph? No dog worth having, that's for sure.

So if you want to ride your bike up Dogwood Road, wear camo and get in shape. And if you don't have enough sense to spray my dog and keep moving, you deserve whatever happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [Solar + Monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Dogs are not very intelegent"

Classic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allright, I'll play. Most of you whiners are behaving like pansies. Dogs have no rights over humans - believe me, if they could figure out a way to keep us on leashes, they would. Where I'm from, dogs off their owner's leash or property are as much mine as theirs. That makes a dog vectoring for me on my bike half mine, and I've shot my half several times. If you don't think I can hit a dog while moving on my bike, send one out after me. Why anyone would even give a dog a second thought is beyond me. Pepper spray, ammonia, they work well, but the dog might do it again, their memories are short sometimes. A dog with an extra hole or two in it is generally a dog who won't chase you again, ever.

I'll tell you what - if anyone ever sees either of my Goldens off of my property or off leash without me nearby and in control of my pets - shoot them, and then take a shot at me as well. I'd deserve it for putting my dogs in a situation that is dangerous to them as well as others.

Dog owners, I don't care whether its in the city or the country, who let their dogs have the opportunity to get into trouble are folks who shouldn't own dogs. I think its the height of irrsesponsibility to let a stupid animal make decisions like that on its own.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Electric fences for dogs and thier owners. That'll learn 'em.

Ride a Surly, you'll like it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a start, I am not condoning the owner for going after the rider with a car. Nor am I condeming Jlb for taking some sort of action against a dog.

For one thing I live in Ontario. Carrying pepper spray here is banned and Jlb would have been charged with breaking the law as could the owner for her car antics. I realize that south of the border your laws have a different slant to allowing citizens to carry weapons. iIn Texas you can ride with a handgun. So next time attacked by a killer Chihahua and you want to prove your manhood, why not just shoot it?

Again I repeat, a water bottle squirt is just as effective and more humane in holding off a Chihuahua.
Quote Reply
Re: Size matters not [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Again I repeat, a water bottle squirt is just as effective and more humane in holding off a Chihuahua.

Hmm...don't know where my reply went..anyway.

My dogs are both trained to drink from my water bottle. If you sprayed them with yours, they would drink it, and then think you were playing with them - so they'd follow you.

Water is totally ineffective against certain dogs. I think Slowman also disclosed once that his dog drinks from his water bottle. Forget the water bottle.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Last edited by: Schwingding: Sep 9, 03 6:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next